Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
smokeyblue
DIS Veteran

Whiplas Injury 2 Weeks Before Trip

I had a side impact car accident this past Saturday. The whiplash symptoms are really scaring me. I'm getting these whopper headaches, blurred vision and terrible muscle tension in my neck and shoulders. We are due to fly into Orlando on September 26. Right now I just don't see the light at the end of this tunnel! Has anyone had a similar experience? Did the symptoms start easing up after a few days? I'm worried we might need to cancel our trip and I only have a few days to do so.

I do have a doctors appointment tomorrow evening to follow-up from the ER visit. I'm hoping I can get into PT right away. Has anyone had auto insurance pay for a massage or chiro? I'm just curious, I will gladly pay for a massage if I have to.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

I had an injury tantamount to whiplash (feet first high dive jump and injured my neck).

I needed pain medicine. I was supposed to wear the neck brace but didn't out of embarrassment and I suffered headaches for a year until the dumb doctor remembered that physical therapy would have been a good idea. 3 months of that and what an improvement!

I would highly highly highly recommend PT as they can treat the soft tissue damage and then when you are well enough they can work on exercises that help strengthen the muscles so that your body is not improperly compensating for the neck.

I think you will be able to make the trip--but moving at a slower pace and avoiding any of those rides with the neck injury warning. Your neck will not be able to handle it for a while. I would also double check you are cleared to travel.

I am pleased to report that I can handle all rides but Space Mountain and Expedition Everest. This is because I cannot see the track and it just hurts my neck to ride those. But all other rides I do fine. Though Rock N Roller Coaster may be done for me.

And from a claims standpoint--you really need to heed all warnings. Otherwise you will create a potential situation where the other driver can dispute your injury. 20 years later my neck can still cause me issues. But thankfully there is no disc damage. I do believe my failure to have proper treatment with no PT for a year contributed to that.

Take care of yourself. Sadly, it can take weeks or months or years for recovery . Demand PT. It will include massage therapy as a modality appropriate for the injury.
Lisa loves Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #3
shaybot
Earning My Ears

Whiplash injury

I actually went on big thunder mountain over labor day and had to be carted of by stretcher and took an ambulance to the hospital. Luckily there was no real damage but I had a neck and back sprain. Which really limited my choices for the last day of my trip.

Needless to say , avoid all roller coasters. Even the kids ones like barnstormer or 7 dwarves. Ive been on it without a neck sprain and it is probably too intense. Animal kingdom might be a problem. Its tough to be a bug should be fine. Dinosaur is a no. Kali should be okay depending on how severe your injury is by the time you get there. Same with Kilimanjaro safaris.

Epcot- Avoid testtrack and mission space, although the less intense track would probably be okay. Spaceship earth goes backwards but very slowly so that is something to consider.

Magic kingdom- I would avoid a lot of spinning on buzz lightyear, but you can control that on the ride. Id obviously avoid big thunder, but im a little biased.
Splash mountain is probably a no depending on how you feel personally

Aside from this ride breakdown, If you think you can handle the walking I would definitely go. There are lots of places to take breaks if you need it and lots of really calm rides and shows that wont aggravate your neck.

I didn't need any PT so I cant help you with that, but I hope what I can tell you helps even a little bit
shaybot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: