Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Harambe nights with food allergies

I emailed special diets and am waiting for an answer but I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has an inside scoop. Does anyone know how they plan on handling food allergies at Harambe Nights?

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
geek+nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I haven't seen anything posted yet about what the food will be.
I expect the Disney Food Blog site will have general food details once they are known.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/0...nimal-kingdom/

And the Gluten & Dairy Free Blog will probably have some allergy information fairly soon after that.
http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

This is exactly what I was wondering! I decided not to bother because I can't imagine how you would check on all those ingredients. I would spend my time worrying, chasing someone down, waiting for answers, etc.

I'd love to know what you hear back. But to spend that much and be afraid to eat anything wouldn't be good.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

I will post when I hear from special diets. I got the automatic response email, and then I got another email stating that they are researching my request. DH really wants to do it, and I do, too, regardless of the food for me. He will just have to eat enough to make it worth it I'm sure he will be up for the challenge!

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

I'm not sure exactly how they will be doing the food from what I have read so far.
If it is like the dessert buffets, they will have some way to indicate which items would be safe for particular allergies.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 05-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

I have 10+ allergens, so chances are that's not going to help me much. I'm hoping that they'll be able to do something like at the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party and prepare me a special plate.

We'll see what special diets says. I just want to make sure that if I can't eat anything there that I bring my own food or make sure to eat beforehand. I get "hangry" when I'm not fed It'd be nice if they offered a discount, though, if I can't eat anything (I realize that is highly unlikely).

Old 05-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

I heard back from Special Diets. They asked for the reservation number and date as well as my restrictions. We'll see what they come up with!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Well, that sounds hopeful! Let us know how it turns out!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Disney Food Blog has posted some information about the foods - nothing about allergies, but at least there is some specific food information.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...nimal-kingdom/

Old 05-31-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

This is not about allergies, but the Disney Food Blog has posted more information, including a lot of information about the food - with pictures.
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/0...nimal-kingdom/

Old 06-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #11
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Does anyone have an update? We have reservations for this coming Saturday. I'm a little nervous about how it's going to be handled. Special Diets has my info, but with it being a buffet type of a setting, I have no idea how it will work.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #12
KCSherri
Perpetual Kid Who Always Believes in the Magic

I attended the Harambe Nights this past Saturday, June 14th - and I have a gluten allergy.

I'll be honest…I don't think Disney handled this very well at all.

I had emailed Disney several weeks prior to my trip regarding this (and other events), but they never addressed the Harambe Nights. When I arrived at the party on Saturday night, the appetizers were set out. I found a CM and asked about allergies; he didn't know, so said he'd have to go find someone who DID know. He was gone a very long time, as no one within Disney seemed to know anything. By the time the Chef came out to tell me what I could have, most of the food was gone and people were lining up for the show.

For the dinner part - it was the same fiasco. I had to find a CM, who then had to find a CM, who then found the chef - and it was a good 30-40 minutes before I knew what was "safe" to eat. Gah.

I happened to be talking to a CM who is a friend of mine on Sunday, and I told her my concerns; I'll probably need to email Disney regarding this so they can address this better in the future.

With that said, the actual show was amazing, and I'm glad I went.
KCSherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review. I will probably make sure to eat something before we go just to make sure. I have a feeling that I'll be emailing as well

I will post after we go. Regardless of what happens with the food, I am looking forward to the entertainment aspect, both the show and the street performances.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Let me know how it goes I am going July 19 with dairy, mango, shellfish and cashew allergies

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: