Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
disney world dreamer
Mouseketeer

is this feasible: visually impaired on solo wdw trip

so i'm visually impaired (completely blind in one eye with very poor vision in the other and can barely see in very dim lighting).
i'm used to going with a small group of people and often times i will hold onto a family member/friend's purse/backpack when in a dim attraction such as tower of terror or once its nighttime out.
i hold on mainly because i don't want to lose them rather than it being extremely hard to see.
meaning if i was alone it would be hard to find my way but i wouldn't be concerned about it as much as when i'm with a group because there is no one to lose.

i'm honestly considering a quick trip in the next couple weeks so that i can go on maelstrom one last time before the ruin it. (3 night stay at pop with a 2 day park hopper ticket)

i know my way around the parks in general but when you get down to specifics like which line is the FP+ line vs the SB line or where bus stop number 4 is located when going from DTD to POP thats when i start having trouble.

i would definitely bring my cane to allow everyone to easily identify that i'm visually impaired even though i do not normally use it in every day life.

and i am confident that i can figure most things out even if it takes a little longer.

and i will not be shy to ask for help in the airport and at disney.

i also plan to bring a small flashlight to point at the ground at night and if it would not be terribly inappropriate in dimly lit lines (such as splash mountain, space mountain, the ramp of thunder mountain...)

does this seem feasible or am i kidding myself?

any advice you could give me that would make it easier is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Disworldluv
DIS Veteran

You appear to be within your comfort level for this trip. With the added precautions you have already stated, you appear to be ready for this trip with the necessary confidence to go alone. Go for it, I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.
Disworldluv is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney world dreamer View Post
so i'm visually impaired (completely blind in one eye with very poor vision in the other and can barely see in very dim lighting).
i'm used to going with a small group of people and often times i will hold onto a family member/friend's purse/backpack when in a dim attraction such as tower of terror or once its nighttime out.
i hold on mainly because i don't want to lose them rather than it being extremely hard to see.
meaning if i was alone it would be hard to find my way but i wouldn't be concerned about it as much as when i'm with a group because there is no one to lose.

i'm honestly considering a quick trip in the next couple weeks so that i can go on maelstrom one last time before the ruin it. (3 night stay at pop with a 2 day park hopper ticket)

i know my way around the parks in general but when you get down to specifics like which line is the FP+ line vs the SB line or where bus stop number 4 is located when going from DTD to POP thats when i start having trouble.

i would definitely bring my cane to allow everyone to easily identify that i'm visually impaired even though i do not normally use it in every day life.

and i am confident that i can figure most things out even if it takes a little longer.

and i will not be shy to ask for help in the airport and at disney.

i also plan to bring a small flashlight to point at the ground at night and if it would not be terribly inappropriate in dimly lit lines (such as splash mountain, space mountain, the ramp of thunder mountain...)

does this seem feasible or am i kidding myself?

any advice you could give me that would make it easier is greatly appreciated.
At each theme park bus stop their a info booth manned by bus drivers. You can ask them they can help you to find the bus stop. At dtd they might be bus dispatchers walking around or other bus drivers waiting to switch out a driver you can ask. At night they add driver with best and flashing lights at the stops that have cross walks like at Dhs for handicap parking to help people cross. And at mk to help the driver cross to pick up their bus you can ask them and they will be more then happy to help. They might not be bale to leave their post but could get someone if you need help getting to the stop. Or as you leave the park ask security that you need help getting to your stop and they will help you. Dtd at their will be bus dispatchers out to help they will be wearing orange reflective vests. Or you can go up to a bus a ask the driver and at the resort ask where the bus is going.

I wish Disney would do what my local public transportation dose at each stop their an announcement on the out side which bus is it and where it going. Disney dose do that with the announcement to fold your stroller well some drivers play it not all do it.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

N.B. From your description, it sounds like your impairment is more serious than mine, but it also sounds like your coping skills are better developed than mine. I haven't done a solo trip, but I've done a lot of solo hours within group trips.

I agree with Disworldluv that you sound like you know what you're doing and not pushing yourself beyond what you know you can do.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: