Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Iralyn
Earning My Ears

Automatic Flush Toilets (SPD)

My 6yo DD (with SPD/Anxiety) is afraid of automatic flush toilets. As in she will hold it for hours and hours rather than go on one. We had started to make some progress with her being willing to use one as long as the sensor was covered...generally with my shirt as she thought that was funny that I 'had to' take my shirt off to cover it and that made her willing to try the first time....but then had a very bad experience (very loud flush, in the dark, thanks to an electrical issue!) and I feel like we are starting over again.

Which brings us to Disney in August....are most (PLEASE tell me not all!) of the toilets automatic flush? We had this issue at an amusement park last summer and I asked a couple employees and they were sure that there were no non-auto-flush toilets anywhere there. Do you know locations that I could plan to make sure are on our touring plans for the day? Are restaurants more/less likely to have auto flush?

It seems like such a little thing but it could have a huge impact on our holiday and I bet there are some other parents of extra special kids here that can relate to that! Hope someone has some experiences/expertise to share! Thanks!
Iralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
DVCkidsMOM
DIS Veteran

It has been 10 years since I had this issue with DD. Back then, we always went to the toddler (yes, small; but "safe") toilets at the Baby Care centers for non-auto toilets. I am sorry that I don't remember which locations had traditional flush toilets from first week of June, but we did encounter them with regularity - they just weren't as common as the auto-flush toilets. Are the companion/family toilets auto-flush or traditional-flush? That may be another good option for you.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
Bete
DIS Veteran

I think you will have the best opportunity

for regular toilets in table service restaurants especially those located in World Showcase in Epcot. Also, the family companion bathrooms might be okay. The first aid stations in each park may be all right, too.

Of course, everything gets updated; so, you will just have to try and see if these locations are okay today.

You may have to schedule a mid-day break back at the hotel if this turns out poorly for available regular bathrooms. Once, you are in a park I would think guest services could direct you to good locations with regular bathrooms.

Finally, you may have to reward her in some way to get her over her fear of automatic toilets. I would have a strong conversation with what her fears are and maybe you showing her you are doing it on automatic toilets might convince her it's okay.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
tomato
Mouseketeer

You might want to try doing a search on this topic. I know I've read info about it, on the DL boards for sure, although I couldn't tell you how long ago.

I believe that people have had a lot of success carrying Post-It notes and using them to cover the sensors! I think there are also lists of bathrooms that do NOT currently use the sensors.

HTH a little for starters!!
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iralyn View Post
My 6yo DD (with SPD/Anxiety) is afraid of automatic flush toilets . . .

1) No problem.
2) Put a post-it-note over the sensor.
3) Then, you can use the hand-button to flush.
4) Just make sure you remove the paper after use.

5) By the way, eventually all public toilets will be auto-flush.
6) It saves water and energy.
7) Plus, thoughtless guests can't leave a "bowl full".
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Is it the actual flush that she's afraid of -- worried it might flush too soon, suck her down the drain, or something? That will take some work, and lots of patience.

Or is it the loud noise that bothers her? We have this issue with DD as well. The post-its covering the sensor work to some extent, but cannot control the loud echo-y noise from other stalls, especially in cinderblock bathrooms where my own voice sounds like it reverberates. We've started using earplugs with great success! (I don't know WHY I never thought of that sooner!) If your DD uses Peltor earmuffs to "escape" too much noise-stimulation in the park, simply use those in the restrooms as well.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
Iralyn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) No problem.
2) Put a post-it-note over the sensor.
3) Then, you can use the hand-button to flush.
4) Just make sure you remove the paper after use.
Oh we've tried this (and many versions of it , such as the shirt one mentioned above) and she doesn't trust that it will prevent it from flushing unexpectedly.

It is partly a noise issue (and we will be bringing earmuffs so that is a good idea - I never thought about using them in the bathroom - thanks!), partly a fear of flushing too soon with her on the toilet, but mostly I think it is about fear of the unexpected/surprise nature of the noise.

Thanks for tip about the Baby Centers probably being a good bet...DD would have no problem using a small toddler toilet if it is 'safe'.

I tried a search before posting but couldn't find anything helpful. May have to try again with a variation on search terms.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

We are going August 7th - if that is early enough for you I can scope out any non auto toilets I can find for you.

In addition - my kids were petrified of the auto flush when they were younger - luckily the post it notes worked for us.

I hope I don't sound condescending as I assume you have done everything in your power to help her. As she is getting older maybe you can tell her you are trying your best to find as many non auto flushing toilets in Disney but you need her help? You will find as many as you can via the internet but could she come up with a "just in case plan?"

Suggest some really large, very sticky post it notes? Post it notes with favorite characters? A special treat or maybe Disney dollars toward something she would like to buy for every time she "conquers" an auto flush toilet? Involving her in he problem/solution may help?

Just throwing ideas out there - you never know with kids what won't work today will work tomorrow........

tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCkidsMOM View Post
It has been 10 years since I had this issue with DD. Back then, we always went to the toddler (yes, small; but "safe") toilets at the Baby Care centers for non-auto toilets. I am sorry that I don't remember which locations had traditional flush toilets from first week of June, but we did encounter them with regularity - they just weren't as common as the auto-flush toilets. Are the companion/family toilets auto-flush or traditional-flush? That may be another good option for you.
The majority of the Companion Restrooms have auto flush toilets. They might still be helpful to you because there is only the one toilet in the room. Depending on just where it is compared to the other restrooms, you may still hear the flush from the other restrooms.

They are converting toilets to auto flush as they renovate restrooms; any list you find may be outdated by the time you arrive. So, I would plan on other ways to handle the issue.

We used Post it notes, but those can shift if the child moves. What we found works better is blue painter's tape (masking tape with adhesive that is meant to remove easily). It stays on much better than Post it notes and you can use as much tape as your child feels they need to cover the sensor.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
Laura66
DIS Veteran

They used to terrify my youngest! I kept a few little post it notes in my pocket or bag and put them on the toilet "eye" and remove them after they finished and were off the pot!
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #11
Iralyn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
We are going August 7th - if that is early enough for you I can scope out any non auto toilets I can find for you.
We are not going until the 17th so I'd appreciate if you could share any that you find!

It may not be a huge issue or it could be a big deal that makes our holiday far less pleasant. As I said in the OP, we were making good headway (she would go with the sensor covered) and then had a bad experience. Silly venue where we were told that the lights were on a sensor and would turn on but instead the door closed behind us and the toilet flushed suddenly...in the dark! Turns out that they have weird wiring and because a switch elsewhere in the building hadn't been switched, the lights weren't working. My daughter was absolutely hysterical for like 5 minutes. Glad that I was in there with her at least. The irrational nature of this kind of fear means that she is generalizing this bad experience to all auto flush toilets at the moment. Hopefully with the next two months before Disney, we can get back to her being comfortable as long as the sensor is covered.

I will try the painter's tape as that is not something that we've tried before...thanks for the tip!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #12
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
We are not going until the 17th so I'd appreciate if you could share any that you find!

It may not be a huge issue or it could be a big deal that makes our holiday far less pleasant. As I said in the OP, we were making good headway (she would go with the sensor covered) and then had a bad experience. Silly venue where we were told that the lights were on a sensor and would turn on but instead the door closed behind us and the toilet flushed suddenly...in the dark! Turns out that they have weird wiring and because a switch elsewhere in the building hadn't been switched, the lights weren't working. My daughter was absolutely hysterical for like 5 minutes. Glad that I was in there with her at least. The irrational nature of this kind of fear means that she is generalizing this bad experience to all auto flush toilets at the moment. Hopefully with the next two months before Disney, we can get back to her being comfortable as long as the sensor is covered.

I will try the painter's tape as that is not something that we've tried before...thanks for the tip!
You should be aware that some of the Companion Restrooms have lights on sensors. They have always gone on for us, but because DD took too long and was too still, the lights went out.
As long as someone moves around occasionally, they won't go off. The two I remember it happening in were both in a Magic Kingdom - by Space Mountain and by Pinocchio Village Haus near Small World.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
sweetiee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
My 6yo DD (with SPD/Anxiety) is afraid of automatic flush toilets. As in she will hold it for hours and hours rather than go on one. We had started to make some progress with her being willing to use one as long as the sensor was covered...generally with my shirt as she thought that was funny that I 'had to' take my shirt off to cover it and that made her willing to try the first time....but then had a very bad experience (very loud flush, in the dark, thanks to an electrical issue!) and I feel like we are starting over again. Which brings us to Disney in August....are most (PLEASE tell me not all!) of the toilets automatic flush? We had this issue at an amusement park last summer and I asked a couple employees and they were sure that there were no non-auto-flush toilets anywhere there. Do you know locations that I could plan to make sure are on our touring plans for the day? Are restaurants more/less likely to have auto flush? It seems like such a little thing but it could have a huge impact on our holiday and I bet there are some other parents of extra special kids here that can relate to that! Hope someone has some experiences/expertise to share! Thanks!
My dd had this problem as well. Cm usually gave a roll of those round, Mickey stickers. We would ask for a few to keep in the stroller. We used the nursery bathroom first by crystal palace restaurant. It was much quieter to get her used to the bathrooms there. I also loosely placed a sticker over the sensor. After she stepped out I would flush the toilet and remove the sticker. She is 9 now and has outgrown it, but we used stickers many years. Just always remove it when you finish.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
SA mom
DIS Veteran

We had a variety of Disney stickers that I put on the post it notes. Then I would ask who she wanted as her bathroom buddy this time.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #15
sleepingbean
DIS Veteran

We had a trip like this with my niece, when she was little, and there was no negotiating her out of this fear, which can lead to calling the trip off if the child will make herself ill before using a restroom. If post its work, great, but if not there were still some manual flush toilets at Hollywood studios. Maybe a few in World showcase, but I don't recall any in MK or AK. I haven't checked all the family restrooms. It seems like someone must know the answer to this question! Good luck

The Gluten Free Dairy Free Food We Ate in Disney World
We are NOT Disney People - The First trip report - Pt 1

sleepingbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: