Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #31
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Rohrer View Post
to WebmasterKathy what would ruin show more slow or stopping for short time to get guest off safely or stopping ride until EMTs arrive to help guest who has fallen and can not get up? if I fall getting off ride onto moving ramp or floor there is a good chance I am not getting up without EMT help. I have to stop and get a knee to work and yes it take a few seconds but I have to do it just a different way to see the problem.
If they stopped it for you to get on they'd stop it for you to get off.

Periods when they don't stop or slow they'd tell you first and you can make an informed decision about proceeding.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #32
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

I have more problems getting off than I do getting on as I am moving before getting on. my problem is when I get up from sitting and start to walk after sitting. sometimes and it is not always I have to lock knee to walk after I stand up. if I do not get it locked knee does not hold and I go down and can not get up. so yes I can cause major delays
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #33
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsdolphin View Post
My nephew who is ASD, BiPolar, visual impairment, and 6'3" tall fell this afternoon getting of Doom Buggy in Haunted Mansion luckily for me a very kind gentleman immediately came to help me assist him to get back up off of floor. The CMs did stop the ride but did not provide me any assistance in helping him to stand up. I was a little surprised that they did not even check to see if we were ok. By the time we arrived back at the WL my nephew was in significant pain. I called front desk and was told to report incident to manager who did offer medical assistance and informed. Me that CMs are not allowed tp provide physical assistance on or off of rides.
I called our regular pharmacy at home for advice as I am concerned about his pain and possible inflammation and the compatibility of over counter meds with his large number prescription meds. I was advised to give him Tylenol and ice packs on back to relieve pain n possible swelling.

I am posting so that others realize that CMs are limited in the assistance they can provide to persons w/disabilities. Do not take for granted they will help with any lifting or guiding in or out of rides. Also ride such as Haunted. Mansion and Space Ship Earth who used to slow down moving walkways no longer do so. Nor do they allow you to access alternate entrances unless you are in a wheelchair.

We are here at the WL until Tuesday when we move to. Port Orleans Fremch Quarter for 2 nites before going home. Hopefully no further mishaps!
They have to allow alternate entrance use, if you need it. For example, those with panic attacks caused by the crowds could not do the standard entrance at HM.

Now, they absolutely should have asked if he was ok and insisted on calling first aid.

But I will also say that you probably should not have moved him and required first aid to come out. Actually, I suppose since it's at Disney World, so the paramedics would come out instead. Bottom line is by moving him yourself you assumed responsibility if you caused any further damage. If you waited for them to come out, they could at least ***** and determined if it was safe to move him or not. And then they have responsibility if they determined it was safe and moved him and that caused further injury.

Something that we have noticed that is a bit odd in this regard is that at DLR, CMs tend to offer more assistance (never lifting though, but willing to provide a steadying hand, even pulling if necessary) than they are at WDW. I am not sure what the reasoning behind this is, but it is a very obvious difference.

I have never been denied having a ride slowed or stopped at any park when necessary, except of course rides such as Peter Pan at WDW that cannot be stopped or slowed. And I would definitely be polite, but insistent if I needed that to be accommodated, as that it a reasonable accommodation to make at any time. I would not accept that I would need to come back later, as other guests who do not need assistances would not need to come back later to be able to ride (unless the come back later was simply equal to the length of the line and I would be getting right on the ride upon returning). Otherwise, it's not equal access to what those who don't need assistance can get.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #34
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
They have to allow alternate entrance use, if you need it. For example, those with panic attacks caused by the crowds could not do the standard entrance at HM.

Now, they absolutely should have asked if he was ok and insisted on calling first aid.

But I will also say that you probably should not have moved him and required first aid to come out. Actually, I suppose since it's at Disney World, so the paramedics would come out instead. Bottom line is by moving him yourself you assumed responsibility if you caused any further damage. If you waited for them to come out, they could at least ***** and determined if it was safe to move him or not. And then they have responsibility if they determined it was safe and moved him and that caused further injury.

Something that we have noticed that is a bit odd in this regard is that at DLR, CMs tend to offer more assistance (never lifting though, but willing to provide a steadying hand, even pulling if necessary) than they are at WDW. I am not sure what the reasoning behind this is, but it is a very obvious difference.

I have never been denied having a ride slowed or stopped at any park when necessary, except of course rides such as Peter Pan at WDW that cannot be stopped or slowed. And I would definitely be polite, but insistent if I needed that to be accommodated, as that it a reasonable accommodation to make at any time. I would not accept that I would need to come back later, as other guests who do not need assistances would not need to come back later to be able to ride (unless the come back later was simply equal to the length of the line and I would be getting right on the ride upon returning). Otherwise, it's not equal access to what those who don't need assistance can get.
I disagree that it is a reasonable accommodation to stop or slow down a ride anytime someone requests it.

It is reasonable, IMO, to hold people and stop or slow down the ride every 5 - 10 minutes, allowing everyone that needs the accommodation to get on at the same time.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #35
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post
I disagree that it is a reasonable accommodation to stop or slow down a ride anytime someone requests it.

It is reasonable, IMO, to hold people and stop or slow down the ride every 5 - 10 minutes, allowing everyone that needs the accommodation to get on at the same time.
Ok, yes, that is reasonable. What I meant is that it is not reasonable for them to say they will not slow down or stop the ride say between the hours of 3-5 PM because the attraction is busy and that I would then have to come back after 5 if I need the ride slowed down or stopped, which is what it seems some of the previous posts were saying they were doing.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #36
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, yes, that is reasonable. What I meant is that it is not reasonable for them to say they will not slow down or stop the ride say between the hours of 3-5 PM because the attraction is busy and that I would then have to come back after 5 if I need the ride slowed down or stopped, which is what it seems some of the previous posts were saying they were doing.
I actually don't find it unreasonable to tell people they have to come back, but I would be surprised to find that was being offered as an option.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #37
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I actually don't find it unreasonable to tell people they have to come back, but I would be surprised to find that was being offered as an option.
I do if the wait is longer than the standby line. Bottom line is equal access means equal and that includes wait times.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #38
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I do if the wait is longer than the standby line. Bottom line is equal access means equal and that includes wait times.
Not necessarily.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #39
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not necessarily.
Yes necessarily, now there may occasionally be practical reasons that dictate otherwise, such as you cannot transfer and there are limited ADA vehicles available. But this is a case where accommodating you by slowing down the ride or stopping it at any time is physically possible, so wait times must remain equal.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #40
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes necessarily, now there may occasionally be practical reasons that dictate otherwise, such as you cannot transfer and there are limited ADA vehicles available. But this is a case where accommodating you by slowing down the ride or stopping it at any time is physically possible, so wait times must remain equal.
There is nothing, anywhere, that says wait times "must" remain equal. The DAS itself states that users may wait longer than standby.

So I hope you'll forgive me for putting little stock in what you claim "must" be done.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #41
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I'm going to close this thread at this time before it continues on to the debate point.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: