Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #16
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I don't work at WDW, but for a major retailer. And we too are told to not say I'm Sorry, if some falls or is hurt. You may think it is "poppycock" but unfortunately with people looking to sue so much, it is the way some businesses choose to protect themselves from people looking to make a quick thousand or 50.
I didn't say that the part about saying sorry was poppycock; it's the part about not asking if you're OK that I don't believe. Not taking responsibility for an injury is one thing; pretending there isn't even an injured person lying in front of you is another.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #17
SMD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
I didn't say that the part about saying sorry was poppycock; it's the part about not asking if you're OK that I don't believe. Not taking responsibility for an injury is one thing; pretending there isn't even an injured person lying in front of you is another.
Any time you give a directive or policy to thousands of employees you'll have some who ignore it and do what they think is right, some who take it to the extreme and choose inaction over the possibility of overstepping what the company "allows" and the rest who fall in the middle. For all we know, in many of these situations, 2 CMs agreed that one would call for help while the other keeps an eye on the guest. That is hardly failure to take responsibility, though it may not be the response that the guests wants.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #18
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Ok! Yeah, even where I work we are allowed to ask the guest if they are ok or want assistance of some sort. We don't just step over their body and carry on with out day!
Old 06-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #19
book_junkie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) We are told explicitly NOT to address or question condition(s).
2) By doing so, we might inadvertently say things like
. . . "I'm sorry."
. . . "Oops, what happened?"
. . . "Are you OK?"
3) These can be an implied statement of guilt in a court of law!
. . . can be interpreted as WDW made an error
. . . can be interpreted as the CM was at fault
. . . can be interpreted as we are trying to lessen the pain or injury

4) As for slowing walkways,
. . . sometimes, they can do it without mechanical problems
. . . sometimes, the rides are old enough that the chain-drive won't allow it *
. . . sometime,s it is a simply a matter of too many crowds and not slowing progress

* Starting and stopping mechanisms with chain drives or chain connections
of ride vehicles can cause the chains to stretch. In such condition, the drive
can fail or cause other symptoms/problems.
Your answers to 4 are completely out of whack. When we went with my father in '07, who had mobility problems (and when my parents went again in 09 and 11), the only rides they couldn't get on where the People Mover and Peter Pan because they were not able to stop AT ALL (and were marked on the maps).

Every other ride in MK and Epcot with a moving platform stopped, including the Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth. We went in the alternate entrance, told the CMs what he needed, and then waited. They then stopped the ride when it was convenient. That's when you would hear the spiel, "Our happy haunts are causing mischief, please remain in your seats." And they're marked on the maps. Otherwise why are they marked?

If the track is "too old" and is being "stretched" by being stopped, then they're using the wrong material, and lord help the lawsuits for it'll stretch worse in motion than being stopped- think about the belts in your car or on a bike.

If it's "too crowded" then they're not providing proper access to their guests who need to be accommodated.

As to customer service, I've been trained both ways; however, I've ALWAYS been trained to contact the person higher for injuries and document the incident- and that's where the CMs failed in this case. They should have contacted the supervisor on duty to handle things, or whomever is in charge of the area to handle the incident.

Past Trips: Nov-Dec 20130; May 2013 WDW; Oct-Nov 2012 WDW; Oct 2011 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct/Nov 2010 WDW; Oct 2010 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct 2009 WDW; June 2008 DL ; Nov 2007 WDW Clan Reunion; Nov 2004 WDW; June 1994 WDW Family Trip; March 1986 WDW Family Trip
Old 06-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #20
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by book_junkie View Post
Your answers to 4 are completely out of whack. When we went with my father in '07, who had mobility problems (and when my parents went again in 09 and 11), the only rides they couldn't get on where the People Mover and Peter Pan because they were not able to stop AT ALL (and were marked on the maps). Every other ride in MK and Epcot with a moving platform stopped, including the Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth. We went in the alternate entrance, told the CMs what he needed, and then waited. They then stopped the ride when it was convenient. That's when you would hear the spiel, "Our happy haunts are causing mischief, please remain in your seats." And they're marked on the maps. Otherwise why are they marked? If the track is "too old" and is being "stretched" by being stopped, then they're using the wrong material, and lord help the lawsuits for it'll stretch worse in motion than being stopped- think about the belts in your car or on a bike. If it's "too crowded" then they're not providing proper access to their guests who need to be accommodated. As to customer service, I've been trained both ways; however, I've ALWAYS been trained to contact the person higher for injuries and document the incident- and that's where the CMs failed in this case. They should have contacted the supervisor on duty to handle things, or whomever is in charge of the area to handle the incident.
As far as the too crowded issue, they do not have to do something that interferes with park operations. I imagine slowing or stopping walkways could fall under that category. I don't know how often it's implemented so I can't say for sure, but it doubt they're going to do something that could get them into legal trouble.

Last edited by aaarcher86; 06-18-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #21
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

If safely boarding guests onto a ride after they’ve waited their turn “interferes with park operations” then they’re got something terribly bass-ackwards, because safely boarding guests onto rides after they’ve waited their turn is one of the most integral parts of park operations.

Having one group of guests who have to wait significantly longer instead of everybody waiting just a few seconds longer interferes with park operations. Guests falling interferes with park operations.

What's next? Sorry, kids, we're not going to turn any of the rides on today, because that would interfere with park operations.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #22
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If safely boarding guests onto a ride after they’ve waited their turn “interferes with park operations” then they’re got something terribly bass-ackwards, because safely boarding guests onto rides after they’ve waited their turn is one of the most integral parts of park operations. Having one group of guests who have to wait significantly longer instead of everybody waiting just a few seconds longer interferes with park operations. Guests falling interferes with park operations. What's next? Sorry, kids, we're not going to turn any of the rides on today, because that would interfere with park operations.
@_@ relax. There's obviously a reason, I was just offering a plausible one up. Because yes, stopping or slowing rides builds up over time. I have no idea how often it happens on a busy day, but 4 minutes added onto the wait every so many guests would affect park operations. I imagine it'd be pretty aggravating being stopped multiple times on one bypass for guests.

Like I said, they aren't going to do anything that would get themselves into legal trouble so they obviously know how and when they can implement that restriction. I imagine they tell people before waiting though, however, I've never had the experience.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #23
KimmyAnne
Earning My Ears

Somewhere (either here, or in a book) I read that they might not like to completely stop walkways because when rides are stopped, people in vehicles may get out. For those of us with common sense, this makes no sense. But just within the last few days, Splash Mountain was shut down due to this very reason and posters on here actually the witnessed the mother and children jumping from the log.

No opinion on whether this is right or wrong, I just remember reading it and it does make sense regarding safety.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #24
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If safely boarding guests onto a ride after they’ve waited their turn “interferes with park operations” then they’re got something terribly bass-ackwards, because safely boarding guests onto rides after they’ve waited their turn is one of the most integral parts of park operations.

Having one group of guests who have to wait significantly longer instead of everybody waiting just a few seconds longer interferes with park operations. Guests falling interferes with park operations.

What's next? Sorry, kids, we're not going to turn any of the rides on today, because that would interfere with park operations.
I agree that Disney needs to make accommodations for boarding, even if that means stopping the ride for those that truly need it.

However, it needs to be done in such a way that it doesn't continuously interfere with the operation of the ride. Whether that means holding people and stopping it no more than every 5 or 7 minutes or something like that, I don't know.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #25
Mommee
DIS Veteran

On our last trip, the cm at haunted mansion had us wait until they were stopping to let someone off, the had my party and one other get on at the same time. I was perfectly happy to wait an extra minute in order to minimize the disruptions. But to refuse to slow or stop it at all?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #26
WebmasterKathy

Not Podcast Kathy, I'm the other one
Bring on the tequila and chocolates!

DISboards Administrator

But understand that slowing or stopping the walkway for a belt-driven attraction like HM disrupts the ride experience for ALL of the other visitors already on the ride at that time, it's not just a matter of how it impacts the wait time for those still in line. The story-telling aspect for however-many riders that ride has capacity for is interrupted. The guy in the graveyard scene, the family at the dining room sequence, the kids with the bride in the attic- the story hiccups for all of them if the walkway is stopped, and that erodes the magic a bit.

I would expect that this is a pretty big operational concern to the company, as it directly affects guest experience and satisfaction.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #27
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

to WebmasterKathy what would ruin show more slow or stopping for short time to get guest off safely or stopping ride until EMTs arrive to help guest who has fallen and can not get up? if I fall getting off ride onto moving ramp or floor there is a good chance I am not getting up without EMT help. I have to stop and get a knee to work and yes it take a few seconds but I have to do it just a different way to see the problem.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #28
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterKathy View Post
But understand that slowing or stopping the walkway for a belt-driven attraction like HM disrupts the ride experience for ALL of the other visitors already on the ride at that time, it's not just a matter of how it impacts the wait time for those still in line. The story-telling aspect for however-many riders that ride has capacity for is interrupted. The guy in the graveyard scene, the family at the dining room sequence, the kids with the bride in the attic- the story hiccups for all of them if the walkway is stopped, and that erodes the magic a bit.

I would expect that this is a pretty big operational concern to the company, as it directly affects guest experience and satisfaction.
Agree 100%, there definitely needs to be some sort of balance as to how often the ride will be completely stopped. I consider this to be part of overall operations, i.e., how well all guests are being served.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #29
Lsdolphin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommee View Post
On our last trip, the cm at haunted mansion had us wait until they were stopping to let someone off, the had my party and one other get on at the same time. I was perfectly happy to wait an extra minute in order to minimize the disruptions. But to refuse to slow or stop it at all?

During past visits my nephew and I were allowed to wait at the exit of the Haunted Mansion to enter and board with guests in wheel chairs. He is not in a wheelchair but has other issues affecting his balance n ability to access ride from moving walkway. As I mentioned in first post in thread, we were refused this option this visit and he fell on moving walkway. Finally able to ride again on last day of our visit I requested that we be able to use side entrance go Spaceship Earth EPCOT. Pines explained that he had already fallen on a moving walkway. We had a fast pass+ and the CM walked us thru fastpass line right up to the ride and made sure walkway was stopped for us!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #30
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyAnne View Post
Somewhere (either here, or in a book) I read that they might not like to completely stop walkways because when rides are stopped, people in vehicles may get out. For those of us with common sense, this makes no sense. But just within the last few days, Splash Mountain was shut down due to this very reason and posters on here actually the witnessed the mother and children jumping from the log.

No opinion on whether this is right or wrong, I just remember reading it and it does make sense regarding safety.
Yes.
That is one big reason. Not long ago, right on the a Theme Parks Board, there was a thread about some people who had gotten out of the Peoplemover when it was stopped for a technical problem. Whether people are doing it because their common sense is not working, misunderstanding or panic, stopping an attraction is a safety concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterKathy View Post

That is true to and WDW has tried different ways to address that issue.
At one point, they made people with disabilities wait until there was a 'batch' to load all at one time. They are still doing that at Spaceship Earth. I guess the idea is that one, possibly longer stop, is better than a bunch of smaller stops.

For those and other reasons, they usually just slow, not stop the moving walkway. Most guests don't actually need a full stop; most just need slowing of the moving walkway.
Then, there is an issue of where the boarding is taking place. My understanding is that CMs at the regular boarding area do not have as much control of the moving walkways as those at the unload area have - wheelchairs and other mobility devices are parked at the unload areas for those attractions, so the people during them need to get on and off at the same place.
So, it's important that people who think they might need to walkway stopped ask at the entrance to the line so they can be at the correct place for boarding. (And find out if it's not possible one, would it be if you come back later).

We also noticed something the last few years that might impact whether/how the walkway is stopped - a CM at the unload area has had a handheld remote control at some attractions. We specifically noticed it at Spaceship Earth and Buzz Lightyear. The CM at both attractions showed it to us and said they would slow the walkway, but could use the remote to stop if they needed to.
The one time that the belt was not even slowed at Buzz, we noticed the CM didn't have it (we noticed after the fact, when it wasn't stopped or even slowed stopped and that made a conversation we heard before we boarded make sense).

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: