DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #16
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Depends on your home resort - if you said previously I missed it. BL is selling really well right now, even striped, but if you've financed then IMO keep rent until paid and then sell.

If bought resale, then you're probably paid up so selling might not be an issue - once again, even striped.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #17
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyguyla View Post
You should sell it, but not with no points in this use year, No buyer will buy it without being able to go on vacation as soon as they buy it.
This is simply not true.

Secondly, the person trying to buy a contract in a hurry so they can take an immediate trip a) is not thinking about the most important aspects of timeshare ownership; b) if they know anything about DVC, they realize they can borrow points for a vacation just like you did; and c) is certainly not the only type of prospective buyer out there.

Also -- just FYI, The Timeshare Store IS open on weekends -- which means they are available for your questions, listings, etc. Much more important, they will be available on Saturday or Sunday for prospective buyers to BUY your contract...unlike lesser brokers.

Last edited by WebmasterDoc; 06-15-2014 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Edited to remove contract specifics
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #18
*pixie*
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You should sell it, but not with no points in this use year, No buyer will buy it without being able to go on vacation as soon as they buy it. You need to quit borrowing points and let them build up again. You will still have to pay annual dues this year and most likely next year because of all the points being gone. Good luck .
We're planning on making an offer on a contract via resale in the next week or so. We actually would prefer a stripped contract as we have a trip planned for May 2015 (14 night WBPC) and are not planning on vacationing before then, so have no need for "immediate" points. A stripped contract saves us a little money as we wouldn't have to pay MF right away.

2013 - Alaska on the Wonder
2012 - BC, Eastern on the Fantasy, and Poly
2010 - AKL, MNSSHP, and the Wonder
2008 - Pop and MVMCP
*pixie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You should sell it, but not with no points in this use year, No buyer will buy it without being able to go on vacation as soon as they buy it. You need to quit borrowing points and let them build up again. You will still have to pay annual dues this year and most likely next year because of all the points being gone. Good luck .
Not always true. When we bought our last contract in 2013 we were looking for a certain number of points and UY and we weren't planning on using them until 2015. As it turned out we got some 2012 and 2013 points as well so we added nights to our already booked 2013 stay it we were buying to meet our long term needs not for a stay that year. We would have happily bought a stripped contract at a good price.
Minniesgal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #20
*pixie*
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post

Also -- just FYI, The Timeshare Store IS open on weekends -- which means they are available for your questions, listings, etc. Much more important, they will be available on Saturday or Sunday for prospective buyers to BUY your contract...unlike lesser brokers.
Really? I sent an email with a couple of questions to the agent I had been communicating with on Friday morning. I had hoped to get a quick reply and then get an offer in before the weekend.

Patience, patience.

2013 - Alaska on the Wonder
2012 - BC, Eastern on the Fantasy, and Poly
2010 - AKL, MNSSHP, and the Wonder
2008 - Pop and MVMCP
*pixie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #21
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *pixie* View Post
Really? I sent an email with a couple of questions to the agent I had been communicating with on Friday morning. I had hoped to get a quick reply and then get an offer in before the weekend.

Patience, patience.
Yes, they're open. The individual agent you were talking to may be off, but the office is open and staffed. Anyone there can help you; they all work closely together. Give them a call.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #22
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *pixie* View Post
We're planning on making an offer on a contract via resale in the next week or so. We actually would prefer a stripped contract as we have a trip planned for May 2015 (14 night WBPC) and are not planning on vacationing before then, so have no need for "immediate" points. A stripped contract saves us a little money as we wouldn't have to pay MF right away.
Same reasoning for us. We have a FD BB planned in October and want points for next year. We didn't want to pay MF since we are already booked in Oct and sought out a stripped contract that was less PP and no MF.

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 weekend Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #23
disneyguyla
Earning My Ears

Quote:
This is simply not true. Secondly, the person trying to buy a contract in a hurry so they can take an immediate trip a) is not thinking about the most important aspects of timeshare ownership; b) if they know anything about DVC, they realize they can borrow points for a vacation just like you did; and c) is certainly not the only type of prospective buyer out there. Also -- just FYI, The Timeshare Store IS open on weekends -- which means they are available for your questions, listings, etc. Much more important, they will be available on Saturday or Sunday for prospective buyers to BUY your contract...unlike lesser brokers.
Disagree, from what I was told by Timeshare store, it's never a good idea to sell with no points because you will have to pay MF, because you the owner use the points and the buyer is not obligated to pay, so it does put that seller at a disadvantage with others that are for sale.
disneyguyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #24
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Quote:
Disagree, from what I was told by Timeshare store, it's never a good idea to sell with no points because you will have to pay MF, because you the owner use the points and the buyer is not obligated to pay, so it does put that seller at a disadvantage with others that are for sale.
First of all, there is absolutely nothing about DVC that is true 100% of the time -- on any aspect of buying, owning, or selling.

Second -- MF's have nothing to do with points usage. Nothing. MF's are the apportioned expenses of the resort for a calendar year. Now, a seller or buyer may choose to try to make the MFs go with the points as a negotiating strategy -- but that is a matter of negotiation, not some hard and fast rule. Everything is negotiable in a resale.

Third -- directly above your response, in the short space of two hours, are three different posts from buyers who actually preferred stripped contracts. And, as I mentioned above, the borrowing aspect of DVC is available if current year points are not available.

Last edited by WebmasterDoc; 06-15-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Edited to remove contract details
Old 06-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #25
disneyguyla
Earning My Ears

Quote:
First of all, there is absolutely nothing about DVC that is true 100% of the time -- on any aspect of buying, owning, or selling. Second -- MF's have nothing to do with points usage. Nothing. MF's are the apportioned expenses of the resort for a calendar year. Now, a seller or buyer may choose to try to make the MFs go with the points as a negotiating strategy -- but that is a matter of negotiation, not some hard and fast rule. Everything is negotiable in a resale. Third -- directly above your response, in the short space of two hours, are three different posts from buyers who actually preferred stripped contracts. And, as I mentioned above, the borrowing aspect of DVC is available if current year points are not available.

You sound like you do not like DVC, but my response to the OP is still the same, it's better to wait and load it with points and get top dollar when selling .
Old 06-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #26
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Quote:
You sound like you do not like DVC, but my response to the OP is still the same, it's better to wait and load it with points and get top dollar when selling .
Actually, I do like DVC. My whole family are fans; we've made at least 30 DVC trips.

I think you may have missed my rationale for selling now in a post early in the thread, so I'll restate it.
  • OP has not used their DVC in four years.
  • In January 2015, they will have to pay annual dues of at least $6 per point.
  • While I agree a loaded contract is more attractive, there can be factors that outweigh the fact that two of them are stripped. Regardless of what one agent at TTS told you (and I am one of the biggest TTS fans here on the DIS), history indicates situations that can overcome the stripped contract question.
  • I can't imagine OP getting a premium greater than $6 per point for a contract with all current year points.
  • Resale prices are relatively high right now, so to delay carries the risk of a price decline over a year's time. I personally think that risk is pretty darn high.
  • Therefore, it makes no sense to me for them to continue to hold a contract they have not used in four years.

Last edited by WebmasterDoc; 06-15-2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Edited to remove contract details
Old 06-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #27
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

I would agree with Jim, that if you closely follow the ROFR thread, the resale market tends to over-value stripped contracts and under-value loaded ones, versus the objective value of those points on the rental market.

Since there aren't any fees associated with listing a contract for sale with any reputable broker, it would be very reasonable for the OP to list their contract now. They can always adjust the price upward in the future if the next UY rolls around. But with 100 point contracts, I don't think that will occur.
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #28
disneyguyla
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Actually, I do like DVC. My whole family are fans; we've made at least 30 DVC trips. I think you may have missed my rationale for selling now in a post early in the thread, so I'll restate it.[*]OP has not used their DVC in four years.[*]In January 2015, they will have to pay annual dues of at least $6 per point.[*]While I agree a loaded contract is more attractive, there can be factors that outweigh the fact that two of them are stripped. Regardless of what one agent at TTS told you (and I am one of the biggest TTS fans here on the DIS), history indicates situations that can overcome the stripped contract question.[*]I can't imagine OP getting a premium greater than $6 per point for a contract with all current year points.[*]Resale prices are relatively high right now, so to delay carries the risk of a price decline over a year's time. I personally think that risk is pretty darn high.[*]Therefore, it makes no sense to me for them to continue to hold a contract they have not used in four years.

The bottom line in the end the OP has to make the decision to sell or not, but they asked for our opinions and that is all we can do to help right or wrong by giving it. But they will have to make the choice. I think we all agree on that.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #29
DVCMomBLT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This is not true. A stripped contract will normally sell for less, but there is a reason it sells for less. Not simply because it is "less desirable." But because it has less to offer than a loaded contract. That "loaded contract" comes with a cost for both the buyer and seller. You are not giving accurate advice.
DVCMomBLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #30
DVCMomBLT
Mouseketeer

Here is a simple example for BLT:

Stripped = no current year points
Regular = all current year points
Loaded = all last year + current year points

Stripped = $85
Regular = $90
Loaded = $95

So right now, the seller of a stripped contract might get $85. If your advice is to sell it next year for $90 when he has full points, there is a carrying/opportunity cost associated with that. To get another $5, he may have to pay close to $5 in carrying/opp cost.
DVCMomBLT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: