Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
sukhakuli
I guess I'm funny like that

autism shirts

What do you think about kids with autism wearing autism shirts in the parks? Do you think it is helpful or do you think it attracts unnecessary attention?
Old 06-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I don't think people pay enough attention to other peoples shirts for it to do either.
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
mistysue
DIS Veteran

I don't think it matters either.

I'm also going to be completely honest with you - shirts like that just irk me. I find myself taking the person less seriously and want to roll my eyes. I'm not just being a jerk though. I used to go to all the family events through my son's early intervention program and the families with autistic children would group off, wear matching shirts and treat us like 2nd class citizens because nobody in the family was autistic. We have also been uninvited in completely unrelated situations when people found out my cognitively delayed daughter was not on the spectrum. So while I am a single incident, I see shirts like that and feel like I am being excluded from a club and you are rubbing it in my face.
Seeing as how labeling a person as autistic or non autistic gives you no clue as to their specific needs, I don't think it could really do much to help.

I like vacations.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
I don't think it matters either.

I'm also going to be completely honest with you - shirts like that just irk me. I find myself taking the person less seriously and want to roll my eyes. I'm not just being a jerk though. I used to go to all the family events through my son's early intervention program and the families with autistic children would group off, wear matching shirts and treat us like 2nd class citizens because nobody in the family was autistic. We have also been uninvited in completely unrelated situations when people found out my cognitively delayed daughter was not on the spectrum. So while I am a single incident, I see shirts like that and feel like I am being excluded from a club and you are rubbing it in my face.
Seeing as how labeling a person as autistic or non autistic gives you no clue as to their specific needs, I don't think it could really do much to help.
I agree with aaarcher that most people probably don't pay enough attention to the shirts for it to matter.

But, if anyone notices, I think the bolded is true. Plus, a person wearing a shirt mentioning autism may not have autism or even have anyone in their family with autism.
I know people who took part in son autism walk. They don't have anyone in their family with autism, but did the walk to support some friends who did. Someone seeing her or her children wearing their autism walk shirts might assume one or both of the kids have autism when they are just wearing the shirts.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 06-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

While I get your intent, I think that instead of people reading the shirt and being more understanding, a lot of people will think "oh great, another parent who thinks the world revolves around their autistic kid."
Old 06-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
kermiebudge
Mouseketeer

To me, anything could attract positive or negative attention- it just depends on the perception of the person seeing it.

While someone may get annoyed by it, there may also be another person who is relieved to see someone so open about it. That in turn, could spark a conversation... Other people may be completely indifferent to it. You'd just have to be prepared for any type of conversation to get sparked and decide ahead of time if that's something you'd be o.k. with.

You just never know....so, go with your gut (and heart) and who cares what anyone else thinks!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
sukhakuli

Actually it's not for me, or my son. I've been seeing them in the parks a lot lately, and my dh and I have been talking about it, and I was wondering what other people thought. We tend to be very closed mouthed about the whole thing. You'll never see an autism puzzle ribbon on my car, I don't have any autism tattoos (yes, I know moms with these) we don't get the DAS. We try to live as normally as possible.

On the one hand, I see the appeal. My ds does sometimes get bad treatment from strangers and CM's because they expect that he will be able to do things he can't. I don't go around telling everyone he has autism like it's his middle name, so many people can't tell upon first meeting him. After a few minutes it becomes pretty obvious because he has odd motor movements, but it's not immediate.

But on the other hand, I think it makes people stare at the kid, and probably brings a lot of unwanted attention. So, since I'm two ways about it, I wanted to see other opinions.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
While I get your intent, I think that instead of people reading the shirt and being more understanding, a lot of people will think "oh great, another parent who thinks the world revolves around their autistic kid."

Agree.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 AM   #9
sukhakuli

Any other opinions? I'd love to hear from families that it works for. We've chosen one way to raise our son, but that doesn't mean it has to be the right way. This has been a bit of a friendly debate in our household, and I'm not sure what I think.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
redberyl
Earning My Ears

My daughter's not autistic, but she has other special needs. No tshirts for us, I would think its an invasion of her privacy. Really, it's no one else's business, why announce it to the world?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
acebatonfan
VMKer at heart

I am thinking about doing something similar for myself and DSis(13). DSis is also on the autism spectrum, and I am concerned that she might be separated from my family. She does not have the cognitive skills to know to find a CM to call DM.

I am a T1 diabetic, and I am afraid of going into a severe hypoglycemic episode while traveling the parks. I do have a medical ID bracelet, but I do not know if someone will notice it right away.

We will both have magic bands, and I am considering doing a diy project with them. For DSis, I am considering writing "autistic" on her magic band somewhere and have DM's cell phone number on the inside. My band will most likely have "diabetic" on it and have my endo's and DF's phone numbers inside with a note that I am on an insulin pump.

It might look really tacky, but I do not want to be in the situation where I am alone and have a diabetic emergency, or DSis is separated from the family, and CM's have no idea who to contact.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

We are the same as you.. we don't use DAS, don't advertise it at all (no tattoos, shirts, etc..). I personally wouldn't do the t-shirts.. we usually do fun Disney ones but nothing specific to autism. On the other hand it can spark nice conversations. On the bus back to AoA, we saw a gentleman with his son and their service dog. MH noted that he had an autism tattoo and started up a conversation.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Old 06-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I have never heard of emblazoning one's medical condition on tee shirts. Would it really be of any assistance to do this? The problem with tee shirts is it's generally seen as an advertisement and not a declaration so much about how the tee shirt reader should treat the wearer of the tee shirt. Like wearing a shirt with a Star Wars character or logo on it to declare you are a Star Wars fan. You have then stated you are a Star Wars fan, and you might get a shout out from other Star Wars fans, but you don't expect to be treated a certain way because of it.

I could see wearing a shirt that says "I love my autistic kid" or supporting a charity connected with autism or something like that because you are declaring yourself a member of that community or saying you just like the charity, but putting a shirt on the kid that says "I have autism," would that be just to declare it, or because you are expecting others to see the shirt and behave a certain way around your child? If so, what way would you expect them to behave?

and if the shirt didn't come out and say specifically "I have autism" then it's not necessarily going to be seen as a notification that the person wearing the shirt has autism, as noted above.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 06-10-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
DLgal
DIS Veteran

When my son was little, we had a shirt for him that said "I have Autism...DUH!"

He only wore it once. When we had a plane ride that he was seriously anxious about. He was 4. We had a feeling he might have a meltdown either boarding the plane or once on it and we really worried that we might get kicked off the plane. We had him wear the shirt just in case, just to sort of be an indicator that his behavior wasn't him just being a brat. He had on a hooded sweatshirt over it. He actually behaved VERY well. We never removed the hoodie. He never wore the shirt again. DH and I just kept it because, honestly, we think it's funny.

Other than that, I have never bought an Autism shirt or worn one of any kind. I also don't do the bumper stickers, magnets, special license plates, etc. I don't advertise my son's autism generally, especially now as he is almost 10 and has outgrown all of the outward behaviors that indicated that he was not typical.

My son does have a Pi shirt with like 5000 digits of Pi on it. He is 9. He has had it since he was 6. If that's not an "autism" shirt, I don't know what it is.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebatonfan
I am thinking about doing something similar for myself and DSis(13). DSis is also on the autism spectrum, and I am concerned that she might be separated from my family. She does not have the cognitive skills to know to find a CM to call DM.

I am a T1 diabetic, and I am afraid of going into a severe hypoglycemic episode while traveling the parks. I do have a medical ID bracelet, but I do not know if someone will notice it right away.

We will both have magic bands, and I am considering doing a diy project with them. For DSis, I am considering writing "autistic" on her magic band somewhere and have DM's cell phone number on the inside. My band will most likely have "diabetic" on it and have my endo's and DF's phone numbers inside with a note that I am on an insulin pump.

It might look really tacky, but I do not want to be in the situation where I am alone and have a diabetic emergency, or DSis is separated from the family, and CM's have no idea who to contact.
Instead of doing it on her MB which is a special momento,could you not get a charity band and write on that? I've also seen snap wristlet " not sure what you would call them" there a piece of material that has plastic in it that bends and when you tap it on a surface it rolls up like a bracelet,we got a plain one and wrote our numbers and diagnosis on that.

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: