Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor

Does anyone have an update on the new Guest Assistance Pass procedures?

I broke my back 3 years ago and have had to use the Guest Assistance Pass on our trips to Disney ever since as standing in line for too long creates much stress and pain on my now less than perfect spine/back. With the new Guest Assistance Pass program, I know things have been changed quite a bit. I didn't hear good things at the beginning about it. If you have been there lately and used one my questions to you are:

Have they perfected the system yet and can you tell me your experience and wait times. I haven't quite been able to understand it thus far. Thanks

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
NC Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

if you haven't read the sticky, do so.

the biggest change is it is no longer automatic immediate access to the FP entrance. you now get a return time equal to the length of the standby line less ten minutes. so if the SB wait is 90 minutes you are given a return time 80 minutes into the future, where by you will then be allowed into the FP entrance.

if your needs are strictly mobility related, you will not qualify for a DAS and will be advised to rent a wheelchair for ECV.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

The information in the WDW and DL DAS stickies are up to date. I edit the content as anything changes.

As the other poster mentioned, not all people who got GACs will be getting DAS. It is only for an alternate place to wait, not any of the multiple other (sometimes contradictory) stamps that were on GACs.

The wait time depends entirely on what the wait in the regular (standby) line is at the time you come.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

1) In your case, you might not get the DAS pass.
2) It appears the issue is STANDING in lines.
3) You might be able to handle lines via an ECV or wheelchair when sitting and not standing.
4) Typically, MOBILITY issues are not a DAS condition.
5) But, you can always ask at Guest Services in the park(s).
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor

Thanks all for your info. I would not do well in a wheelchair as part of the balancing act of the repercussions of a broken back is keeping a strong core. Additionally, the converse is also true--sitting for long periods of time do not bode well with my back either. Like I said, a balancing act! I am just grateful that I can walk after such a traumatic fall.

I will yet again bring my medical documentation, which they have never looked at, and try to see if they will issue one. I am not one to abuse it but since the break, this is about the only way I can make it at Disney.

Thank you for the clarification on the system.

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
NC Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

They will never look at whatever document you have because 1) they aren't allowed to and 2) it makes no difference in getting a DAS.

You have to be able to explain why you can't use the standby line. You will wait the same amount of time regardless just not in the line.

It sounds like they will recommend a wheelchair or ECV.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

no one says you have to use the WC/ECV at all times.

they are not allowed to look at your medical records or any note from the doctor. you need to be able to tell then you NEEDS, not your disability.

lines will move constantly, if slowly.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

You might also want to look into a rollator. It's sort of like a walker with wheels, making it easy to push and provide support. It also has a fold down seat so when you need to sit, you have a place.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 06-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
Coonhound
DIS Veteran

In the past, the GAC let people go straight to the fastpass line which meant they were kind of cutting in line ahead of all the people in the standby line. Disney never meant for the GAC to work as a fastpass, so, they have changed it now to close that loophole of the card working as a fastpass.
Now, guests with disbailities experience the parks in a way that is equal to non-disabled guests.
If the issue is about mobility, Disney will not issue a DAS but will instead recommend using a wheelchair or scooter. With a wheelchair or scooter, you have the option of sitting down when you need a seat, and the option of getting out and walking when you don't need the seat.
If the need is not mobility related but is instead is related to other difficulties, a DAS may be issues, but CMs are instructed NOT to consider medical paperwork in their decision process- they are not allowed to look at it.
If a DAS is issued, you will approach the ride, and they will give you a return time for when you can ride. If the standby line is 60 minutes, they will give you a return time of 50 minutes- This way, you are waiting in line like everyone else, but, you don't actually stand in the line itself. Once it's your time, you may enter the fastpass line.
You may only have one return time scheduled at a time, because of the idea that you could not wait in two different lines at the same time. So you wait in one virtual line at a time, and when you ride it they cross that one off and then you may go to a different rude and get a return time for the new ride.
Coonhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonhound View Post
In the past, the GAC let people go straight to the fastpass line which meant they were kind of cutting in line ahead of all the people in the standby line. Disney never meant for the GAC to work as a fastpass, so, they have changed it now to close that loophole of the card working as a fastpass.
Now, guests with disbailities experience the parks in a way that is equal to non-disabled guests.
If the issue is about mobility, Disney will not issue a DAS but will instead recommend using a wheelchair or scooter. With a wheelchair or scooter, you have the option of sitting down when you need a seat, and the option of getting out and walking when you don't need the seat.
If the need is not mobility related but is instead is related to other difficulties, a DAS may be issues, but CMs are instructed NOT to consider medical paperwork in their decision process- they are not allowed to look at it.
If a DAS is issued, you will approach the ride, and they will give you a return time for when you can ride. If the standby line is 60 minutes, they will give you a return time of 50 minutes- This way, you are waiting in line like everyone else, but, you don't actually stand in the line itself. Once it's your time, you may enter the fastpass line.
You may only have one return time scheduled at a time, because of the idea that you could not wait in two different lines at the same time. So you wait in one virtual line at a time, and when you ride it they cross that one off and then you may go to a different rude and get a return time for the new ride.

I would only add that while you are waiting for your return time, you can ride other rides without the DAS.
OurBigTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #11
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post
I would only add that while you are waiting for your return time, you can ride other rides without the DAS.
And FastPass + is your friend! Schedule 3 close together in the morning, and then get more when they are used/expired.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #12
JeJecm
Earning My Ears

Would type 1 Diabetes be a valid reason for DAC? I have problems with blood sugar dropping and can't stand in heat.
JeJecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeJecm View Post
Would type 1 Diabetes be a valid reason for DAC? I have problems with blood sugar dropping and can't stand in heat.

1) Probably not.
2) But, you can ask at Guest Relations.
3) Lots of folks can't stand in the heat, and they usually can't get a DAS.
. . . old folks
. . . some young kids
. . . pregnant ladies
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeJecm View Post
I'm going to refer you to the discussion about diabetes on this thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3263107

DAS (Disability Access Service) Cards are used for disabilities and the condition that causes the disability is not pertinent. Diabetes is not a disability; it is a condition that can cause disability.
The majority of people with diabetes posting on this board quickly test and treat if needed in lines and there are CMs with type 1 diabetes working in the heat.
Others do have more issues, so just asking for a DAS because you have diabetes doesn't tell the CMs what level of disability you have. Your task is to explain your needs related to your disability.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: