Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
RasberriPie13
Mouseketeer

Seven Dwarfs Ride accessibility

Does anyone have any info on the height for this and is it a transfer ride with a wider door for those in manual wheelchairs.
RasberriPie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

I know the height requirement is 38", but don't know the rest.

edited to add: I found this http://www.travelingmom.com/seven-dw...-disabilities/

She states it is a transfer.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
RasberriPie13
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much! That answered all of my ?'s!
RasberriPie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
zaksmom
Mouseketeer

question - 7D Mine Train Ride

Has anyone eyeballed the ride cars for ease of transfer from a wheelchair yet? I know it's not officially open, but many sites have people reporting on difficulty for large or tall guests. Thought someone might have some insight. I have a son anxious to ride, but I know I couldn't get him through the small opening I've seen on the videos of the ride.
Thank you so much
zaksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
BillSears
DIS Veteran

Hopefully they've added a swing away door for the accessible car like they did with BTMRR and EE. And also it would be great if it were wheelchair seat level and not a drop in and a climb out. I can do the drops but not the climbs.
CR-77, Travelodge(DTD)-81, Poly-92, SOG-96, Offsite-97, ASMu-98, POR-03, Vistana Resort-04, WL-Sept 2006! CSR-December 2006, Pop-May 2007(first solo trip!), CSR-Sept 2007(Solo trip), and offsite-May-2008 visited Universal, SeaWorld, KSC and a couple of days at WDW. WL-March 2009 I turned 50 in WDW! May-10 Pop, Oct 2010- Pop for first F&W, Dec 2010-Pop for Christmas stuff, May 2011-POFQ. Pop Aug -14, Pop Sept-14, Pop Dec-14 and Pop May-15! Trip report from 1997:http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/trip....97/sears97.htm
BillSears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
zaksmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSears View Post
Hopefully they've added a swing away door for the accessible car like they did with BTMRR and EE. And also it would be great if it were wheelchair seat level and not a drop in and a climb out. I can do the drops but not the climbs.
I know what you mean...gravity not with you on the way out! Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Someone else asked about this recently, too ...this post has a link to a blog written by someone who has ridden already.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3281034

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
zaksmom
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the link. I really couldn't find the answer. Did it say what the adaptation was? I miss things sometimes even when it's right in front of me.
Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksmom View Post
Thanks for the link. I really couldn't find the answer. Did it say what the adaptation was? I miss things sometimes even when it's right in front of me.
Thanks again.
No. The article only mentions that you must be able to transfer out of a wheelchair to ride.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
zaksmom
Mouseketeer

FYI
from another website forum
"The last car has a door that swings open to allow a transfer from a wheelchair."
This is what I was hoping. Now we just need to see if the accommodation will work for us.
Fingers crossed.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksmom View Post
FYI
from another website forum
"The last car has a door that swings open to allow a transfer from a wheelchair."
This is what I was hoping. Now we just need to see if the accommodation will work for us.
Fingers crossed.
Since it is a new attraction, they needed to come up with some way to make it comply with the ADA rules as far as ability to transfer.

One way would be to have a bigger opening or have a door that swings to the side to allow an easier transfer.
One example of a transfer assist ride car is Dumbo, where it looks the same as at regular Dumbo until the CM releases the door

Or the Spaceship Earth ADA car, which has a wider door opening.

My guess is that it will probably be similar to the Big Thunder Mountain ADA car's lap bar and a wider opening like this one. The picture is from BillSears and shows the extra fold down area to make a sliding transfer easier.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 05-29-2014 at 06:09 AM.
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #12
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

W/C access for Mine Train?

Hi all, we are just over a month out from our next trip, first trip traveling with ODS' wheelchair. I sort of know how w/c access works with most rides, since we used them previously with his s/n stroller. I was just wondering if anyone had yet ridden the Mine Train & how wheelchair access was being handled there.

Don't yet know if we will need or request a DAS, we may give things a go without one to see how DS does.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #13
ShiPooOwner
Fan of WDW now and forever!

Question

I'm wondering how low the seat is. Is it about the same height as EE seats?
ShiPooOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiPooOwner View Post
I'm wondering how low the seat is. Is it about the same height as EE seats?
We don't have any first hand reports yet about accessibility for guests with wheelchairs, but there is some information in the link a previous poster added.
You might also be able to get some information from this YouTube video:
http://youtu.be/Od_c7D2FEoA

It's by a person with the screen name of Big Fat Panda. His videos are usually excellent; he generally shows a bit of the queue, the loading area, most of the ride and the exit.

We do know that it requires transfer from a wheelchair to a ride mine car.

We also know that to comply with the ADA, it needs to have some sort of transfer assist vehicle. The most common is a wider door opening.

There are several threads asking about wheelchair access for this ride, so I am going to combine them all together.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 05-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #15
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

I don't know how long ago your last trip was, but I see you are at least aware of the DAS.
Pretty much everything changed on October 9, 2013 when the DAS (Disability Access Service) came into use. So, if your last trip was before that, wheelchairs are probably bring handled differently than what you remember.
There is a WDW DAS thread stuck near the top of this board; the first post is DAS FAQs.

I don't know for sure, but expect this attraction will have Mainstream access in both the regular and Fastpass Plus line, which means all guests will wait together in the line.
I have read somewhere that one row in each set of mine cars will have an ADA car, which would be more easily accessible. For roller coaster rides, that usually means a wider door opening.

I am going to combine this thread with some other Mine Train threads so we can keep the information accessible without people needing to open multiple threads.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: