DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
bphilb
Earning My Ears

What to expect buying off property

My wife and I have been considering buying DVC for quite some time. We go to Disney annually and expect to continue that for as long as we can see into the future. We are thinking of buying a contract for around 150 points next year at Vero Beach as it seems that the cost of buying a contract at a non-resort is a much better deal than at a resort. That said we have no desire to ever stay at Vero Breach. We are perfectly happy to stay at places like OKW, AKL, and Saratoga, but want to know if we are going to have a realistic shot at places such as GFV, BLT or BCV in the next 5 years or so. We will be traveling in the fall (Sept-OCT) or Winter (Jan-April) at about once a year. Are we ok in doing this, or should we just buy into OKW or AKL just to make sure we always have a spot?
bphilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
drpepr
Earning My Ears

You would have a decent shot especially in the Jan to April range getting into the other resorts. However, you should really consider the added expenses from the higher MF at Vero. After a few years, any savings on the initial buy in will be lost to the significantly higher MF. I suppose there are no guarantees though that the MF from an on property resort wont ever sky rocket and catch up to Vero but it seems unlikely.
drpepr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphilb View Post
My wife and I have been considering buying DVC for quite some time. We go to Disney annually and expect to continue that for as long as we can see into the future. We are thinking of buying a contract for around 150 points next year at Vero Beach as it seems that the cost of buying a contract at a non-resort is a much better deal than at a resort. That said we have no desire to ever stay at Vero Breach. We are perfectly happy to stay at places like OKW, AKL, and Saratoga, but want to know if we are going to have a realistic shot at places such as GFV, BLT or BCV in the next 5 years or so. We will be traveling in the fall (Sept-OCT) or Winter (Jan-April) at about once a year. Are we ok in doing this, or should we just buy into OKW or AKL just to make sure we always have a spot?
Any savings for VB would be eaten up in extra maint fees within around 5 yrs. If simply getting into the system is the question, SSR is almost always the best value. I would not buy VB or HH, the points are not cheap enough to make it worthwhile simply for a points cow.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

VB is a beautiful resort however it's a very quite area. One of the bartenders referred to VB as 'Gods waiting room' and I agree with him. The most night life is probably at the venue itself.

IMO HHI has more going for it if your buying off property.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

You fall trips will need to be booked as soon as online booking opens at the 7 month window and you may need to be willing to look at various room sizes and split stays depending on when you go in the fall if you go for an off property resort. I would not recommend buying an off property resort for WDW stay only. You winter trips as long as they are not over one of the holiday weekends or during a running event you should not have the same problems.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
We are thinking of buying a contract for around 150 points next year at Vero Beach as it seems that the cost of buying a contract at a non-resort is a much better deal than at a resort. That said we have no desire to ever stay at Vero Breach.
VB is cheap for a reason (several reasons actually). i would not buy there if i were not planning to stay there.

Quote:
We are perfectly happy to stay at places like OKW, AKL, and Saratoga, but want to know if we are going to have a realistic shot at places such as GFV, BLT or BCV in the next 5 years or so. We will be traveling in the fall (Sept-OCT) or Winter (Jan-April) at about once a year. Are we ok in doing this, or should we just buy into OKW or AKL just to make sure we always have a spot?
i would recommend SSR as the best value onsite (expires 2054 when most OKW resales expire 2042).

BCV in the fall at 7 months is a tough one - F&W at epcot makes it very popular for the BCV owners. Jan and Feb (non-holiday weeks) will give you more options at BLT and BCV. GFV is too new to have much data.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Prices are low because on low demand and high dues.

The path less traveled is usually less traveled for a reason.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Canadian Disney Mom
Formerly Tollerwalker - original join date July 2005

I am going to jump in on the SSR bandwagon as well. We own @ SSR and have never had a problem getting a reservation elsewhere at 7 months, as long as we are willing to be flexible. We bought 200 pts direct in 2005 and did a 200 pt contract through resale a few years ago. We have travelled over Spring Break, Xmas, July 4th, Thanksgiving this year, and at other times. We always book SSR as a backup at 11 months and then at 7 months immediately start looking for another resort. As mentioned above, you need to be flexible about where you are willing to stay, room size, views, being open to split stays, etc but you can make it work. Also, if nothing else is available but SSR, you need to be satisfied with staying there. If staying there would make you miserable, then it is probably not a good option and you should buy where you want to stay.

I would not buy at HHI or VB unless you are going to stay there. Along with the higher dues at HHI and VB, keep in mind that the contracts for HHI & VW end in 2042. SSR ends in 2054 so you get another 12 years.

Good luck!
Past Trips to Disneyworld, Disneyland, and Disney Cruises:WDW-1: May 1998 (Off Property), WDW-2: Apr 2002 (Off Property), WDW-3: Feb 2005 (All-Star Movies), WDW-4: Apr 2006 (SSR), WDW-5: April 2008 (AKV Jambo), WDW-6: Dec 2009 (AKV Kidani & SSR), WDW-7: Jul 2010 (AKV Jambo), WDW-8: Apr 2011 (Off Property), WDW-9: Jun-Jul 2012 (BLT, BWV & AKV Jambo), WDW-10: Dec 2012-Jan 2013 (AKV Jambo), WDW-11: Mar 2013 (BLT & AKV Kidani), WDW-12: June/July 2014 (AKV Jambo, VFW),WDW-13: Nov 2014 (VGF,BCV),WDW-14: Mar 2015 (SSR),DLR-1: Nov 2010 (Off Property), DLR-2: Jan 2012 (VGC), DCL-1: Jan 2012 (Disney Wonder 7 night MR)
Twitter ID: @CanadaDisneyMom

Last edited by Canadian Disney Mom; 04-28-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Canadian Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is....if you want to stay at WDW, then I would buy at a resort there.
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
crisi
DIS Veteran

Over the life of your contract, your initial buy in cost is going to be a pittance compared to your overall vacation spend. Dues have been mentioned, but park tickets, airfare (if you need to fly), food, etc.

That doesn't mean you should justify the cost of a direct contract over a resale if you are getting fundamentally the same thing (you can justify a direct contract if what you want isn't available resale), but it does mean that you need to look at buy in cost as part of an overall spend.

And if a VB resale looks good because its more affordable, hold on tight for the inevitable price increases in character meals, park tickets, and Mickey bars.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:28 AM   #11
bphilb
Earning My Ears

I appreciate all of the great feedback. I basically figured that Vero would allow me to buy at a low cost for WDW but making me a resort "free agent" so to speak. It sounds like I may be better off eating the extra up front cost for the certainty of a resort and lower maintenance fee's.
bphilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #12
Millionaire2K
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I appreciate all of the great feedback. I basically figured that Vero would allow me to buy at a low cost for WDW but making me a resort "free agent" so to speak. It sounds like I may be better off eating the extra up front cost for the certainty of a resort and lower maintenance fee's.

Based on the current avg resale price and the avg dues increase for both these resorts; It would take about 9 years to break even.

So over the length of the contract you will save with SSR. But VB will save you during the first 9 years. VB contract will cost you about $400-$500 more a year over SSR.

So you could always sell your contract after 5-7 years and save. You could then apply the resale funds to a resort you love to stay at.

Best of luck with your DVC purchase.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:31 AM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millionaire2K View Post
So you could always sell your contract after 5-7 years and save. You could then apply the resale funds to a resort you love to stay at.
There's no guarantee one can sell in the future, VB has historically been more difficult to sell even at the lower prices. Then there's the double closing costs and sales commissions to sell and re-buy. Add to that the thought that VB and HH are unlikely to be extended even if WDW resorts are. If one can afford VB, they can afford SSR otherwise they likely shouldn't buy if they're that close. For those that are making a judgement not to spend over a certain amount, better to either wait or buy less points than buying VB or HH simply to get points. There are those that want those resort part of the time which makes buying for both more of a consideration.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #14
Millionaire2K
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
There's no guarantee one can sell in the future, VB has historically been more difficult to sell even at the lower prices. Then there's the double closing costs and sales commissions to sell and re-buy. Add to that the thought that VB and HH are unlikely to be extended even if WDW resorts are. If one can afford VB, they can afford SSR otherwise they likely shouldn't buy if they're that close. For those that are making a judgement not to spend over a certain amount, better to either wait or buy less points than buying VB or HH simply to get points. There are those that want those resort part of the time which makes buying for both more of a consideration.
We'll clearly VB is hard to sell. However if he buys in at $50 a point I'm sure it won't be to hard to sell in 5-7 years for $40.

However I agree SSR is the way to go.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
thejamester
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphilb
I would pick where you wanted to stay most. Then you can have the advantage of 11 month window. The resorts you like are hard to get studios in without that leverage. I own at AKL and take advantage of value rooms with that leverage. It has been difficult to get BLT with needing extra points. I don't see how it would be a poor investment since you visit so often. Best wishes!

May 2013 Boardwalk Villas
December 2012 Animal Kingdom Jambo House
September 2011 Pop Century The Best Ever with Deluxe Dining Plan
September 2008 Carribean Beach Resort
June 2006

thejamester is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: