Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran

If you need oxygen in flight, please contact your airline for options.

You also mentioned a need for electricity. You will need to be a little careful, as plugs may not be available where you expect them, especially in the MK.
SteveMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #17
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

We are a party of 3 adults, 2 with mobility issues....both with DAS. This trip has been very difficult with the recent changes. Returning at a particular time is a pain (literally), but doable. We have only accessed 3 attractions in 2 days. We had to walk or use a wheel chair. Sadly, 2 attractions only had 1 wheelchair available. We also had to transfer from a moving belt, otherwise....no ride.

This is mess and it's very disheartening. We have visited regularly for over 34 years...more than 20 times in the last eight years. Our Disney days may be over. They really don't care...and I'm ready for a good cry.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #18
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Rohrer View Post
only thing I can think of is you might need an extra adult, grandma or teen to help with pushing or keeping track of the walkers. even if the 3 year old are used to moving own chairs, how do they do in a crowded mall? also what do you plan if 6 year old gets tired and not wanting to walk?
I agree; I don't see how you are going to manage with only 2 adults. You really need to consider bringing at least one other adult to help. I also have no idea how you are going to manage the flight with all of your kids, especially with the wheelchairs and strollers. If you haven't already done so, you need to call your airline (they usually have a disabilities contact number) and make sure they are prepared for you and you understand the rules for oxygen on flights, etc.

Last edited by lost*in*cyberspace; 04-28-2014 at 08:33 PM.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
amykathleen2005
Wishing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixUnderSix View Post
We have 6 kiddos and 3 have significant special needs - we've traveled to Disney on our MAW trip for one of our three year olds but have since, adopted another special needs 3 year old and we are fostering a special needs 1 year old. I have some questions from people who are more experienced than I am (P.S. We are an "on the go" family and we enjoy life with our kiddos to the fullest...yes I realize my situation may not be what YOU would want to travel with Disney with, but we want to celebrate with our angels while we have the chance - all three of our 'special' children have (or have had) life threatening issues - so please keep comments positive :-))

Here's what we look like:

Mom (me) - age 33 - perfectly able

Dad (husband) - age 38 also perfectly capable

Daughter - age 9 - A wonderful helper

Son - age 8 - severe ADHD but nothing that would interfere with our trip

Son - age 6 - a little hyper but lots of fun and able to help

Son - age 3 - Wheel chair, hypoplastic left heart syndrome, feeding tube, oxygen, pulse ox monitoring, and heat intolerable due to heart condition (he's prone to excessive sweating and overheating -- some of which we can manage with extra tube hydration).

Son - age 3 - wheel chair, severe fetal alcohol syndrome, legally blind (optic nerve hypoplasia), feeding tube, severe neurological impairment, etc.

Foster son - age 1 - immobile but not in wheelchair due to age (we will need to keep his stroller with us), he has a tracheostomy, feeding tube, requires oxygen, continuous pulse ox monitoring, frequent suctioning, also very heat intolerant, etc.

First of all, what accommodations do you think I should request? Will the mobility accommodations be enough or should I also get a DAS because we can't be in line for long periods of time due to our need for so much medical equipment that may require to be plugged in frequently and our need to have a reasonable place to suction our foster baby, etc. and our need to keep 2 of our kiddos out of as much heat as possible (I know it's Florida, though...lol).

My other question is about our foster baby whom we will be taking with us in September. He has a trach and requires a trach collar/heated humidification at night. I'm not sure if I could even pack our compressor and system and try to fly it there so my next logical choice is to rent one. I'm not sure if I'm not typing in the right search words or if I'm digging deep enough on google but I'm having a hard time locating a company that I can rent one from.
I've left myself ample opportunity to find and secure a rental, get required prescriptions for the oxygen, etc. but need help finding a company that I can rent these items from.

Any other suggestions in general (I've read the FAQs but know many of you have specific conditions, or your children do, that mirror ours and thought you might be able to help a little).....tips for traveling with 2 wheelchairs, a large medical stroller, 2 tanks of O2, 3 feeding pumps, suction machine, 2 pulse ox monitors, plus their supplies???

Hope you all have magical days - thanks for any help you can give :-)
I am going to be honest. Is the 1 year old really stable enough to go on a trip to Disney in the heat of September? Babies overheat extremely easily and with his fragile condition I would be worried about how he will handle everything. Would you be able to wait until it is cooler?
2011-Pop Century
May 2014-All Star Movies!
amykathleen2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #20
nemajovc
Mouseketeer

This is just something that worked with my son in the heat when he was younger (no special needs but it gets awfully hot where I live)
I put some large frozen ice ( blue plastic or other) (try to get longest lasting) behind and around him in his stroller and we were able to stay in the heat a lot longer.
You might consider renting DVC so you have full fridge for meds and freezer or see what other options for full fridge
Good luck with your wonderful family
nemajovc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #21
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemajovc View Post
This is just something that worked with my son in the heat when he was younger (no special needs but it gets awfully hot where I live)
I put some large frozen ice ( blue plastic or other) (try to get longest lasting) behind and around him in his stroller and we were able to stay in the heat a lot longer.
You might consider renting DVC so you have full fridge for meds and freezer or see what other options for full fridge
Good luck with your wonderful family
The Frogg Togg chill pads are also great at helping keep cool in the Florida heat and humidity! Sorry I can't help on any of your other questions, you are doing God's work. Wishing you a happy, safe trip!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #22
DVCJones
DIS Veteran

I would recommend getting a DAS card. I would explain to the CM about your child's heat intolerance. Don't even mention about their wheelchairs or you will get denied a card. They will explain that ALL lines are wheelchair accessible and send you on your way.

I had a really rude CM refuse me a DAS because SHE was confused about my DD disability. I went in and explained that my DD has nerve damage on the left side of her body and that it causes her to fatigue.... And that us when I got rudely cut off and was told to get her a wheelchair and that all lines were accessible. Had she let me finish, I would have continued to explain that she is unable to sweat on 1/2 her body and has a hard time regulating her body temp as result. I honestly was so taken aback by the rude nature of this CM that I just left and went to another park and got one there. I was able to explain my DDs need to wait in a cool place while we waited for our return time. That CM was more than accommodating and pleasant.

So, my advice is to NOT mention your mobility issue and only explain about the heat intolerance.

Good luck!!!
Old 05-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #23
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

First of all God bless you and your family Someone mentioned a medical equipment co Here is another one and they deliver to the theme parks & resorts

http://www.colonialmed.com/c-1340-re...FbTm7AodUVQAOA

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #24
M5ward
When You Wish Upon A Star...

Ditto...God Bless you and your family! I hope you have an amazing time!

Nov., 1981 (CR),Nov., 1983 (CR),Dec., 1994 (off-site),Jan., 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), Jan., 2007 (SSR), Nov., 2007 (SSR), Feb., 2008 (BWV), Oct., 2008 (OKW), Jan., 2009 (BWV),Oct., 2009 (BCV), Jan., 2010 (BWV), Oct., 2010 (OKW),Jan., 2011 (BWV), Nov., 2011 (OKW)
Jan., 2012 (BLT),Apr., 2012 (BWV)Nov./Dec.,2012 (BWV), Jan, 2013 (BLT), , Apr, 2013 (BCV)Oct2013(BWV)
M5ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #25
3disneykidz
Earning My Ears

Bless you and your husband. We to are a large family with special needs children. We have dd1 8 years, dd2 7 years ds 6 years and dd3 3 years old. All have fetal alcohol.

Take your time and may plan which park and what you are going to see and do. having a plan helps sometimes at WDW.

Pack lots of water for the family.

I would go to guest relations as soon as you go to your first park and get a DAS card and explain your situation with the children and what other accomidations you can get for the kids and the DAS card. Do your kids like to loop rides? if so they can help you with ways to accommodate that.

can you book fast passes to help as well.

bring sensory fidget toys as well. we find this to be a huge help when we go.

bring or buy an umbrealla for little one who doesn't do well in the heat. Our oldest and youngest don't do well in the heat we take loads of breaks.

feel free to pm me. I am in Ontario Canada

Last edited by SueM in MN; 06-30-2014 at 07:08 AM.
3disneykidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #26
harleykarolynmom
Earning My Ears

You do Yuri Mr be able to bring the condenser for your trach collar with you all medical equipment is permitted on plane and free(doesn't count as carry on) except o2 tanks y2k yo your hone medical supply company they might hAve a orlando branch or might be able to loan you a portable o2 concentrator that is approved for flight I have been to disney 3 times with my attached daughter and with planning and organization was a great time if you want morn info my email is harleykarolynmom@aol.com
harleykarolynmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #27
Goddesstree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
We are a party of 3 adults, 2 with mobility issues....both with DAS. This trip has been very difficult with the recent changes. Returning at a particular time is a pain (literally), but doable. We have only accessed 3 attractions in 2 days. We had to walk or use a wheel chair. Sadly, 2 attractions only had 1 wheelchair available. We also had to transfer from a moving belt, otherwise....no ride.

This is mess and it's very disheartening. We have visited regularly for over 34 years...more than 20 times in the last eight years. Our Disney days may be over. They really don't care...and I'm ready for a good cry.
I thought WDW's standard reply for mobility issues was to inform the guest that wheelchairs and ECVs were available to rent? Did they not let your ECVs in the queues?
Goddesstree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #28
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

First of all GOD BLESS you and your family!!!

Second, I have gone 3x as a traveling companion to a senior w/ mobility issues and dementia along with incontinence and some issues tolerating heat. There were tow of us able bodied adults (though I was definitely more fit than her son) and it was all we could do to manage. I would HIGHLY recommend that Grandma come along and another person if you can mange. If you'd like to PM me, I can give you the number for a local, teen that is VERY responsible and experienced with young ones. Even if she only helped for 8-10 hours each day, I think it could really benefit you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: