DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #31
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyandphilliesfan View Post
I would only feel safe buying direct.So my thing is I want someone to tell me why to buy resale and how does it actually work? I am 37 now so hopefully have 30 years to play with it.
Not sure what your "safety" issue is. Your not buying a used car where the history could affect you. A resale contract works exactly the same as a direct buy contract. At 30 - 60 % discount for almost the same benefits - you do lose out on some trade options by not buying direct - I would let safety be a concern.

I agree that I wouldn't buy from just some personal ad in the paper, but there are reputable resale sites (I used the one advertised at the top of this site but there are others) that do everything buy the books, including putting your deposit in escrow until the sale goes through. They also shouldn't take a commision until the transactions complete.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #32
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would only feel safe buying direct.So my thing is I want someone to tell me why to buy resale and how does it actually work? I am 37 now so hopefully have 30 years to play with it.
Not sure why paying a lot more money for the same thing is safer.

Resale is a lot cheaper depending on where you are buying and you are buying the same product. There are resale companies who have been doing this a long time and I dependant closing companies. All above board
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #33
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
another thing to keep in mind is that if your life or interests change and you need to sell, you WILL be selling on the resale market. disney will not buy it back so there is no other option (unless you want to give it back to disney for free as a foreclosure).

so might as well get over the fear of "resale" now...

take your time and read about the program. talk to the timeshare store people. it's not very risky when using a competent broker - you are just buying from someone (much like you now) who has had a divorce...or job loss...or their kids no longer want disney but prefer beach vacations...or they think ticket prices are too high and would rather go hiking around vancouver or whatever...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #34
HokieGCC
BWV Owners

Agree under under those conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseyMin View Post

I'm not counting the initial price of the contract here. The reason for this is that the contract can always be sold and most (if not all) of the resale purchase price will most probably be recovered.

What am I missing here?
I would agree that if you buy then later sell your points for an equal amount then it would save you right off the bat.

The real truth here to remember is that Disney is the most effective company in the history of the world at separating you from your money. I say that as a compliment to Disney for unmatched excellence and business ability. However, assuming this is true then everything they do (DVC included) is for Disney to make more money not for us to save money. I think this typically plays out that DVC enables people to get (spend) more Disney.

HokieGCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #35
Disneyandphilliesfan
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the advice everyone but I think the best move someone can make is buy a house near Disney World and make a profit down the road from it.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #36
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone but I think the best move someone can make is buy a house near Disney World and make a profit down the road from it.
I remember having this debate in 2012 on this board! My answer to that is, Good luck!

Did you see what the market was like down there after the housing bubble? I don't think it's even recovered after 6 years. The Orlando area was/is over built. While it may look good to buy at 150k property in a managed community and rent it out for 600/wk, the likelihood of actually renting the place out enough to cover your expenses is low. You're competing with hotels, resorts and a ton of others on vbro. If you get a mortgage, you're also risking your credit if things go bad.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #37
Anna114
Pluto Rocks!

Quote:
That works for some but I'm not sure you can compare apples and orange crates. Specifically, the initial cost, house vs DVC. Also, unless you have the money to hire a company to oversee your house and find vacationers there is a heap of work involved. You also stand to lose a lot more money if the plan doesn't work out. Also, many people want to stay at a Disney resort for the theme and the ability to not drive if they don't want to. Disney does bring things to the table in spite of the lesser value it use to be. Those are just the first couple of thoughts.
5/1988 POLY (Honeymoon) 2/1998 Offsite 5/2002 Caribbean Beach 5/2006 Wilderness Lodge 12/2007 POP 8/2009 Port Orleans Riverside 5/2010 POLY CL (Anniversary) 10/2010 SSR 1/2011 OKW 8/2011 FW Cabins & VWL 12/2011 SSR 5/2012 VWL 9/2012 VWL 8/2013 VWL 25th Ann. w/my boys 5/2014 AKV 12/2014 VWL 5/2009 DVC Owners Villas at Wilderness lodge!

Last edited by Anna114; 04-24-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Anna114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #38
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Didn't I read, and correct me if I am wrong, that folks who have a 2nd home in FL pay double property taxes or something crazy like that???? We had planned to buy a condo in FL. DH works from home and our kids are all in HS, so were were thinking of selling our house when youngest graduates, in 2017, and buying a townhouse here and a condo in FL until I heard about the crazy property taxes. So, we then decided to use our DVC to do 4-6 weeks in the winter in FL (only would take 500-600 points, but we'd maybe have to do a lot of it in a studio...but we already have 480 points and plan to add more).

Kind of got off topic. OP, yes it's worth it...or it has been for us. I don't really consider the initial buy in but I suppose I should (my thinking is that we'll use it to the bitter end so that only adds a couple-few dollars per point to the annual dues...or if we sell, we'll make back, close to, what we paid). We started going to WDW in 2003 and stayed offsite that year (boo) and then in a moderate, POR (family of 5) the next trip. But we bought to get the 1BR and have 2 sleeping spaces for us to get our own space and kids to get theirs (plus the W/D is really nice to have). We likely would never go as much as we do if we had to, all 5, cram in 1 room or get 2 rooms. But, yes, now we give more $$ to the mouse (PAPs, TIW, dining) but we like what we get in return so it's all good.

Last edited by lovin'fl; 04-24-2014 at 11:41 AM.
lovin'fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #39
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You sound like my better half - maybe it's a Philly thing - but I talked him out of it I didn't want the upkeep of a 2nd home or being a landlord.

FYI - the majority of the 'verbal' posters here are resale addicts. We're direct buyers - we financed our purchase and paid them off over time (like a car payment - another analogy that posters here). We've traveled, done the 'work' vacations and now I just want a relaxing vacation. Seriously, our last vacation was 3 pages of bar bills. The plus now is that the initial direct buy is 100 pts. If I were just starting out I'd purchase either BC or BW and stay a couple of years. When you've used all your points then make a decision. If you decide you don't like it those BC/BW 100 pt contacts resale pretty easily. You'll need to factor in the loss if you sell after 2 years because they'll be one but I don't think it's be huge on 100 pt contract and you'll've learned the 'system'. Renting pts will give you a venue idea but it won't teach you the system like using it. JMO

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #40
gfyjny
Mouseketeer

It works for our family

We first found out about renting points through this forum and rented points for $11 per points from an owner of BLT. It was definitely cheaper than booking directly through Disney and by doing renting we save close to $2000 for a nine night stay at two bedroom suite with MK view. This was back in 2010, during that trip we made a decision to purchase 270 points of Grand Californian since we live in CA. We paid $95 per point after the incentive discount and also got 270 points of developers points addition to our initial 270 points from the purchase. with that additional points we were able to go on a five night Bahama cruise on Disney Dream on 2012. On that cruise we purchased 160 points of Aulani points because the resort wasn't open yet, we were not able to get that developers points but we did get our founding member plaque at the resort as well as nice framed plaque shipped to our house. I believe we paid about $106 or so after the discount they offered on the cruise and we got the initial low maintenance fee. We ended up adding 120 points later when they offered buy 100 get 20 for free.

Over all, we are loving our ownership of DVC. We took many trips to Grand Californian and allowed us to have our friends and family to use our points to stay there or Paradise Piers using the points on Disney Collection. We were able to also take 10 day stay at Aulani and are looking forward to many more trips in the future. We will be staying at Grand Floridian for a week and another three nights at Boardwalk Villas, using our Aulani and Grand Californian points (booked right at 7 month in advance.)

Checking the resale pricing on Grand Californian and Aulani, GC points are selling about $40 more per point than what we paid for and Aulani is fairing about even pricing. We have no plans to sell our points anytime soon, and feel very lucky that we made the right choice on which resorts to buy into.
We have 550 points total and it works great for us and never lost any points. If we buy anymore points, it would be for Polynesian Villas open up and if it would be impossible to get the over water villas using our points at GC and Aulani.

If you love staying on site, deluxe accommodations, planning vacation at least 7 to 11 months in advance, and can afford it, then I would highly recommend buying into DVC.
gfyjny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #41
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

A small point but it's another Disney detail I enjoy - no extra adult or parking cost. We usually have our FL-DD join us over the weekend and sometimes she'll add a friend. It's nice to be able to squeeze them in for no additional cost.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #42
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfyjny View Post
We first found out about renting points through this forum and rented points for $11 per points from an owner of BLT. It was definitely cheaper than booking directly through Disney and by doing renting we save close to $2000 for a nine night stay at two bedroom suite with MK view. This was back in 2010, during that trip we made a decision to purchase 270 points of Grand Californian since we live in CA. We paid $95 per point after the incentive discount and also got 270 points of developers points addition to our initial 270 points from the purchase. with that additional points we were able to go on a five night Bahama cruise on Disney Dream on 2012. On that cruise we purchased 160 points of Aulani points because the resort wasn't open yet, we were not able to get that developers points but we did get our founding member plaque at the resort as well as nice framed plaque shipped to our house. I believe we paid about $106 or so after the discount they offered on the cruise and we got the initial low maintenance fee. We ended up adding 120 points later when they offered buy 100 get 20 for free.

Over all, we are loving our ownership of DVC. We took many trips to Grand Californian and allowed us to have our friends and family to use our points to stay there or Paradise Piers using the points on Disney Collection. We were able to also take 10 day stay at Aulani and are looking forward to many more trips in the future. We will be staying at Grand Floridian for a week and another three nights at Boardwalk Villas, using our Aulani and Grand Californian points (booked right at 7 month in advance.)

Checking the resale pricing on Grand Californian and Aulani, GC points are selling about $40 more per point than what we paid for and Aulani is fairing about even pricing. We have no plans to sell our points anytime soon, and feel very lucky that we made the right choice on which resorts to buy into.
We have 550 points total and it works great for us and never lost any points. If we buy anymore points, it would be for Polynesian Villas open up and if it would be impossible to get the over water villas using our points at GC and Aulani.

If you love staying on site, deluxe accommodations, planning vacation at least 7 to 11 months in advance, and can afford it, then I would highly recommend buying into DVC.
Just so I understand correctly, ALL your purchased points are from Direct Disney Sales & this is HOW you're able to to use Disney Collection. :rolleyes

I ask because we ALSO live in CA and would like to know if you find any advantages to having the Disney Collection available to you or your family/friends if the Villas are not?
hjgaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:57 PM   #43
gfyjny
Mouseketeer

We used Disney collection option a few times, mostly for my sister who isn't much of an early planner and always makes requests to stay at Grand Californian at two to three months time frame. We're from Northern California so staying at a hotel is a must. Grand Californian being very limited on availability, is often fully booked at two three months out. So I would use the points for paradise piers since it's less points than disneyland hotel. Still, I would much rather she request at least seven months in advance so that I can get her a room at VGC than paradise piers at much less points.

We have stayed at both studio and two bedroom suites and it is my favorite layout of all DVC resorts. I guess I"ll see how VGF compares in June.
I"m sure only having 50 units at VGC and being sold out have something to do with price increase. We have no plans to sell but it is comforting to know that if we would have to, we would actually make profit.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:16 AM   #44
gfyjny
Mouseketeer

Using your points for Disney collection isn't ideal since you get less for more points, sometimes significantly more. However, I haven't had much problem getting a room, at least at paradise piers with just two months notice, even during the peak season (spring break).
We don't regret buying direct, but I can see why it would be appealing to some to buy resale at greatly reduced pricing. Current direct pricing has gone up so much I would think twice before buying direct.
Even the cruise points has gone up so much that it's not much of a saving using points vs. paying cash. Take everything into consideration before making decision to buy direct or resale.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #45
judydvc
DVC veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfyjny View Post
We used Disney collection option a few times, mostly for my sister who isn't much of an early planner and always makes requests to stay at Grand Californian at two to three months time frame. We're from Northern California so staying at a hotel is a must. Grand Californian being very limited on availability, is often fully booked at two three months out. So I would use the points for paradise piers since it's less points than disneyland hotel. Still, I would much rather she request at least seven months in advance so that I can get her a room at VGC than paradise piers at much less points. We have stayed at both studio and two bedroom suites and it is my favorite layout of all DVC resorts. I guess I"ll see how VGF compares in June. I"m sure only having 50 units at VGC and being sold out have something to do with price increase. We have no plans to sell but it is comforting to know that if we would have to, we would actually make profit.
I have a sister like that!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: