DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
mort1331
Mouseketeer

Cost of selling

We are thinking of selling one of our contracts. I know about the commission fees, but being from out of country I hear that there is 10% they hold back for your IRS? Is there a way around this? Is it hard to get that money back?
Thanks
mort1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Sure, there is a way around it. Move to the USA and become a citizen. I'm not kidding- that's the only way I am aware to not be subject to the foreign citizen tax hold back on all USA real estate sales.

This isn't a penalty- it is withholding against any profit you may have made on the sale. Apparently the IRS has realized they don't have much chance of collecting real estate income taxes on foreign citizens, if they don't grab this amount at the time of a sale.

You can file a US federal tax return that demonstrates you didn't net a profit on the sale, and the hold back money will be refunded. Or, you might owe more than the 10%, if you made a good profit.

Disclaimer- I'm not an accountant or a real estate attorney. Seek the services of one within your home country to confirm that my understanding is correct.
Msmithmd is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
mort1331
Mouseketeer

ok thanks, if that's the case I should just take my lumps since the profit will be more then 10%. Not that that's the reason Im selling. Just don't think we need that UY. Getting hit with that and the 10%commision is a 20%bite, but oh well. Might just hang on and rent for a bit just incase we need it.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
rcchello
DIS Veteran

The tax is a percentage of your capitol gain, purchase price - (sale price + commission) * tax rate. Unless you made a 70% profit you will probably get money back by sending in the tax forms. That is saying that it does not cost you more by paying someone to do the forms for you.

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Who knows???

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort1331 View Post
Getting hit with that and the 10%commision is a 20%bite, but oh well.
Not really. The 10% withholding is just a temporary IRS protection against any actual tax you may owe -- as rcchello explained above.

If you owe no tax, you'll get all the money back. If you owe some tax, you'll get the remainder back.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
mort1331
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
Not really. The 10% withholding is just a temporary IRS protection against any actual tax you may owe -- as rcchello explained above.

If you owe no tax, you'll get all the money back. If you owe some tax, you'll get the remainder back.
Ok so I do my own taxes up here, but for the US do I need someone for this or can I do this online?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
rcchello
DIS Veteran

All the forms and instructions can be found at www.IRS.gov. The explanation of the withholding can be found here http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/ITIN-...Buyers-Sellers

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Who knows???

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: