Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Royal Caribbean > Royal Caribbean
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
Mason3
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 181

RCCL Teen Experience?

My DD is 15 and loved Vibe on the Fantasy. (She actually loved all of the kid/teen clubs except Edge, which she found small and boring.) We are considering a Southern itinerary on the Adventure. Is anyone familiar with the teen clubs on RCCL? Have your teens liked or disliked their RCCL experience?
Mason3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
southstyle
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 10

I am also interested in this subject. We will be on the Enchantment of the Seas in March 2015 with my 15-year old niece. We are hoping that there are some teen activities on board so that we may go enjoy the adults only areas too.
southstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
lvmy2boys
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 19

We recently went on the Rhapsody of the Seas to Alaska and my 17 yo loved the teen club and my 15 yo thought it was just ok. Different personalities! We have cruised Disney 3 times so we were concerned that RC may not have a very good teen club, but there was over 60 teens involved in the club and they were always busy. The only complaint my oldest had regarding RC's club is that they have a midnight curfew, where Disney doesn't have a curfew.
lvmy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #4
Shae
Earning My Ears
 
Shae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Happy Valley, PA
Posts: 24

I've personally cruised RCCL as a teen (currently 22, so it's been a few years lol), and my experience was just okay. Perhaps it was just the ship we were on (Freedom of the Seas) or maybe it's fleet wide, but it seemed like the teen clubs were only relevant the first day or two. After everybody found a group of friends, we just split up and did our own thing (pool time, Promenade, sodas in the Windjammer, etc.). I don't think I went to the teen club at all after day 3. Still had fun, just a different experience than other cruise lines.
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible!" -Walt Disney
Doing as Dreamers Do
Shae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #5
LeslieG
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,624

Quote:
Originally Posted by southstyle View Post
I am also interested in this subject. We will be on the Enchantment of the Seas in March 2015 with my 15-year old niece. We are hoping that there are some teen activities on board so that we may go enjoy the adults only areas too.
We were on Enchantment last month. DS15 loves the Disney clubs, but Enchantment's seemed pretty lame. Unlike DCL where they can go and play video games whenever they want and there is always a CM in the area, Enchantment did have activities scheduled sometimes, but otherwise the place was pretty much abandoned. My son never went. We had the same experience on a Carnival ship as well. I think in general, other lines' clubs for older kids are pretty lacking.
LeslieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,659

We were on Freedom in June. My 15yo DD went to the teen club for a couple nights. She said it was just like high school where the kids would form into cliques. She finally (the last 2-3 nights) got into a group she liked and they just roamed around the ship and talked.

There were some late night activities (skating, flow rider, rock wall, adult night club "take over", etc).
__________________
Freedom W. Caribbean June 15 - June 22, 2014 Video
Oasis W. Caribbean June 8 - June 15, 2014 Review
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 45,678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shae View Post
After everybody found a group of friends, we just split up and did our own thing (pool time, Promenade, sodas in the Windjammer, etc.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
She said it was just like high school where the kids would form into cliques. She finally (the last 2-3 nights) got into a group she liked and they just roamed around the ship and talked.
Shae's description sounded nice. Sam's, with the word "cliques", didn't. But it's the same thing. In life, we find like-minded people and want to spend time with them. If you find them quick, it's lovely. If you find them later, watching the other groups can feel sad. I'm glad Sam's daughter found a group, though it was a bit later.


Our tablemates on Freedom had a 16 year old boy. He went to the teen club every night after he ate. There he would meet up with the group of people he had met and who all liked each other, and they would go from there. Sometimes hang out in the room, sometimes roam around and do other things. Honestly it seemed lovely how he found a group and then just had fun with them the rest of the time. He was a super-sweet kid who had a huge heart (one night a girl had a really bad asthma attack and he was nearly crying, telling us about it the next night, and worrying so much about her), and his friends were all just as nice, always stopping to say hi if we saw them around the ship. Not cliquey at all!
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,659

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Shae's description sounded nice. Sam's, with the word "cliques", didn't. But it's the same thing. In life, we find like-minded people and want to spend time with them. If you find them quick, it's lovely. If you find them later, watching the other groups can feel sad. I'm glad Sam's daughter found a group, though it was a bit later.


Our tablemates on Freedom had a 16 year old boy. He went to the teen club every night after he ate. There he would meet up with the group of people he had met and who all liked each other, and they would go from there. Sometimes hang out in the room, sometimes roam around and do other things. Honestly it seemed lovely how he found a group and then just had fun with them the rest of the time. He was a super-sweet kid who had a huge heart (one night a girl had a really bad asthma attack and he was nearly crying, telling us about it the next night, and worrying so much about her), and his friends were all just as nice, always stopping to say hi if we saw them around the ship. Not cliquey at all!
Just for the record, "clique" is how DD described it.
__________________
Freedom W. Caribbean June 15 - June 22, 2014 Video
Oasis W. Caribbean June 8 - June 15, 2014 Review
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
Shae
Earning My Ears
 
Shae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Happy Valley, PA
Posts: 24

I guess you could consider is "cliquey" but I didn't find it to be that. Just like with anything, it can difficult at first to find a group that works (of course some people have an easier time than others), but everyone is friendly. At least that was my experience. Have fun!
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible!" -Walt Disney
Doing as Dreamers Do
Shae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #10
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran
 
GrumpyBelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,442

Just of the Allure this morning. My DD(13) and her friend (13) had a great time at the teen club. Even when they weren't interested in the activities, they went to meet up with and hang out with friends they met on board.
__________________
DH ME DS19 DD13

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.