Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Partial Wheelchair use/or scooter?

Hi all,
I have persistent plantar facilitis in one foot that is acting up-we leave in a month for WDW. I am trying custom orthotics that will come in this week but I"m thinking ahead to a plan B.

Is it possible to partially use a wheelchair or scooter in that my DH pushes me to Fantasyland for example, then we park the wheelchair and I walk from ride to ride, then use the wheelchair to get over to the next land etc? Do people park wheelchairs in stroller parking or is there a separate area for parking wheelchairs and scooters? I wouldn't need one through the queues and can walk short distances. I just was unsure of where to leave it when not in use and if people even do this.

I'm hesitant to rent a scooter for a few reasons:
-buses from the resorts and feeling self-conscious holding up the bus
-maneuvering in the parks-never used one
-I don't want to be in the chair/scooter for the entire day.
My DH seems ok with the idea of the wheelchair rental at the park if needed and he's in good physical condition-I'm not big or overweight. Leaning towards this route but open to a scooter rental as well.
THANK YOU!!!!
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

I can't answer the question about parking the wheelchair specifically. I believe there is a place to leave them (I have seen such chairs parked at EPCOT).

Have you considered getting a cortisone shot? I used to be bothered by the same trouble and I would get a shot about a week before I went on vacation. It eased the pain and allowed me to do more walking and to even get out of bed without hobbling.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

You can park it at stroller parking not a problem at all. It doesn't work for everyone but have you tried crocs they work for me I no longer have any pain

bidnow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

You can use the wheelchair as much or as little as you feel you need to. If you're not sure where to leave it, ask the nearest Cast Member. When I've used one and needed to leave it outdoors, it's usually ended up with the strollers. However, it's usually been an ECV, which is harder to steal, so that may be a consideration.

Most attraction lines are wheelchair-accessible,so if you do find yourself needing to sit while you're waiting, you can change your mind and bring it into the line in most places. The Cast Member outside each attraction can advise you if there's a special procedure for that attraction, and where to leave it when you board the ride vehicle.

If you use an ECV, make sure to turn it off and take the keys with you whenever you park it. If you use a manual wheelchair, attach something to it so you can easily identify it.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

thank you everyone….one last question….I'm looking at a smaller scooter with 3 or 4 wheels on Walker Mobility…..the saleslady said I'd be much better getting a deluxe but it's $60 more. I'm 5 feet tall and weigh 130lbs….not sure I'd need the deluxe but this is all new to me. She said the deluxe goes faster but I have an 8 year old child who will be with us and won't be walking too fast.
thoughts on the Go Go vs the deluxe from experienced scooter users?
Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran

You'll be fine with the Go-Go Elite. The main differences between the Go-Go Elite and the deluxe are speed, size overall (including the space or your feet) and padding of the seat. With how you're using it and your size, I don't think the differences will make much, if any difference. The Go-Go Elite goes 4.5mph. Average walking speed is in the 2.5-3mph range. My experience at WDW is that most people are walking slower than average walking speed. While there might be a few spots where you can go faster to get through a large space, mostly you won't need anything faster than 4.5mph.

3-wheeled scooters have a smaller turning radius than 4-wheeled and are a little bit more maneuverable. 4-wheeled tend to be a little bit more stable and have a little more foot room. It's really personal preference.
WheeledTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

One more question: trying to decide between Apple and Walker Mobility. Apple can drop off and pick up at Bell services at POFQ, where Walker you need an appt. Price wise they are the same. Any thoughts as to what company I should use?
We arrive around noon at POFQ and will have a lazy day of resting, Downtown Disney and to bed early. Next morning is Epcot for rope drop. I wonder if Walker requires an appt for drop off because our last morning is tight with check -out, Chef Mickey's and Magical Express around noon…..

Thank you all so much for your kind help. I am thankful this is a trip where you can still manage and have a good time with mobility issues. I worry about the bus situation with a scooter but am hopeful if I do in fact need a scooter that people will be understanding. Just an injured Mom trying to enjoy vacation with my son-they are only young once!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
GranJan
Mouseketeer

WDW Is No Place For Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledTraveler View Post
You'll be fine with the Go-Go Elite. The main differences between the Go-Go Elite and the deluxe are speed, size overall (including the space or your feet) and padding of the seat. With how you're using it and your size, I don't think the differences will make much, if any difference. The Go-Go Elite goes 4.5mph. Average walking speed is in the 2.5-3mph range. My experience at WDW is that most people are walking slower than average walking speed. While there might be a few spots where you can go faster to get through a large space, mostly you won't need anything faster than 4.5mph.

3-wheeled scooters have a smaller turning radius than 4-wheeled and are a little bit more maneuverable. 4-wheeled tend to be a little bit more stable and have a little more foot room. It's really personal preference.
I agree, speed shouldn't be an issue. I don't think a mobility scooter should be used to travel faster than walking speed in a crowded park. It should just be used as an alternative to walking. I see too many people zig-zagging through crowds on huge scooters. I think you'll be happiest with the smallest scooter that meets your needs. I used the Go-Go for many years with no problems. I decided I wanted something with a longer battery life & more ground clearance. My husband talked me into a 4 wheel. One trip to the grocery store & I knew I didn't want to use that thing at WDW. I traded it in for the 3 wheeled. It's the Pride Sport & is larger than the Go-Go & has bigger wheels. It definitely has more battery life but I kind of missed my old Go-Go on our last trip.
GranJan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: