Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Kristina4109
DIS Veteran

Most Tear Jerking Moment you've witnessed in the parks

Okay, the Weirdest Thing You've Seen in the Parks thread got me thinking. What is the most moving, touching, tear jerking thing you've witnessed in the parks?

I've got two. I'm allowed to cheat - I started the thread. :-)

We were in line for Finding Nemo, and I was annoyed at how long it was. Suddenly I noticed a father and son nearby - the father was holding his son's shirt up and I thought that was weird. Then I realized the father was feeding his son through a feeding tube. They were both in a great mood, talking about what they'd do next and what their favorite ride of the day was. I was dumbstruck - here I was, feeling whiny about standing in line, and this father and son who obviously had bigger problems than I did were just enjoying the park and having a good time.

Second - I was hugely pregnant when my company had their annual picnic in Disneyland. I went on maybe 2 rides but still had a blast. My husband and best friend were riding Space Mountain and I hung out near the exit. I noticed a large group of what seemed to be physically and mentally disabled adults - I think they were waiting to ride using an auxiliary entrance, but I could be wrong.

One of the men just started dancing. Out of nowhere. A nice lady who seemed to be their nurse/caretaker, said, "Are you dancing? Are you shaking your groove thing?

The man exclaimed "YEAH!"

She asked, "Why?"

"Because I'm happy!"

"Why are you happy?"

"Because I'm at DISNEYLAND!"
Kristina4109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

We were at Autopia. My daughter was riding while I waited at the bridge at the top of the stairs for her with her service dog in training at the time. He was lying down quietly. Suddenly this woman walked up to me with tears in her eyes. She explained 2 years ago her daughter was mauled at 3 years old by a dog, and she was terrified of dogs. But she saw the service dog, and wanted to know if her daughter could say hi to the dog. I said sure. It probably took her 15 mins to work up the courage to get close enough to touch the pup. It took another 10 mins for the child to work up the courage to touch the dog. By now my daughter was back. A CM came over to shoo us off the bridge, but once I explained what was going on, she blocked the area off so we could let the girl take her time. We were with them for about an hour, just letting her take her time to be close the dog. At the end of the hour, she was lying with her head on the dog. Things are just a little more magical at DIsneyland.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
Kristina4109
DIS Veteran

Oh, my gosh. How wonderful that the CM let you all have that moment. Talk about healing!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

Ok...both of those brought tears to my eyes!!!

Thanks for sharing!

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
shell8558
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
We were at Autopia. My daughter was riding while I waited at the bridge at the top of the stairs for her with her service dog in training at the time. He was lying down quietly. Suddenly this woman walked up to me with tears in her eyes. She explained 2 years ago her daughter was mauled at 3 years old by a dog, and she was terrified of dogs. But she saw the service dog, and wanted to know if her daughter could say hi to the dog. I said sure. It probably took her 15 mins to work up the courage to get close enough to touch the pup. It took another 10 mins for the child to work up the courage to touch the dog. By now my daughter was back. A CM came over to shoo us off the bridge, but once I explained what was going on, she blocked the area off so we could let the girl take her time. We were with them for about an hour, just letting her take her time to be close the dog. At the end of the hour, she was lying with her head on the dog. Things are just a little more magical at DIsneyland.

Oh man !! This is so amazing ! I am still wiping away the tears.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

I love these kinds of stories.

Mine was this past Nov actually. We had been in line to see Pluto when the CM cut off the line, but told us to hang out in the area because he'd be back with Mickey in a minute. He showed us where he'd come out from and told us to come over there the minute we saw him and to follow him where ever they went. So we see him come back out with Mickey and go over there. As we're walking over to the meet & greet spot with Mickey, Mickey sees a young girl in a wheelchair, trached, feeding tube, oxygen tank - all of it. Visibly disabled. Mickey turns around and goes and squats right in front of her to make eye contact and spends at least 10 minutes with her. Her parents were both in tears and she was obviously in heaven. Even though our goal had been to meet Mickey (and we did eventually), I could have watched that all day.

Upcoming: Oct 16-19 (DLH); Nov 19-25 (GCH)

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH), June '14 (PPH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12

DisneyJamieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Kristina4109
DIS Veteran

Oh boy, that one got me! Tearing up!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
FLSarah
Mouseketeer

I love these kinds of stories!

We saw a proposal at Hollywood Studios when we were there in December. The guy was teary eyed as he was asking her to marry him. About 70 people stopped and clapped for them when she said yes. It was so sweet!
FLSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
disneyhopeful4
Earning My Ears

Those are very sweet stories! The only tearjerker I can think of is when my son was picked first for Jedi academy, soooo exciting for him... but that's only a tearjerker because I am a sappy momma lol. Not that interesting to anyone else!
disneyhopeful4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
dragonflycurls
Mouseketeer

For me it was seeing a surprise charicature proposal at Disney! it was so special to see the process and see her say yes!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

For me, it was watching DL fireworks on our 1st night there. It was my girls' 1st trip to DL and they believed that all of the characters were real. During the entire fireworks display, they laughed & cheered and yelled out "WOW!" every other minute. You should have seen them jumping up and down with delight when they saw Tinkerbell fly in front of the castle all decked out in green LED lights. I could have cried like a baby right then and there and it was hard to keep it together. It was just the most perfect, incredible ending to a fabulous day. It makes me cry right now just writing about it.
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #12
YukonMommy
Mouseketeer

Love hearing stories like these

For me it was standing in line to meet Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder in 2011. We were almost at the front and we see this CM, a Mom, Dad and a little girl about 6-7. The little girl was in all pink princess gear and her beautiful bald head was shining in the sunshine being pushed in her wheelchair. You could see how excited the little girl was and how emotional the parents were. It just made me stop. I looked at My Mom and hugged my kids a little tighter.

Disneyland trips 1982, 1989, 2011, 2013,2014, planning March 2016
YukonMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
FLSarah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandVsmama View Post
For me, it was watching DL fireworks on our 1st night there. It was my girls' 1st trip to DL and they believed that all of the characters were real. During the entire fireworks display, they laughed & cheered and yelled out "WOW!" every other minute. You should have seen them jumping up and down with delight when they saw Tinkerbell fly in front of the castle all decked out in green LED lights. I could have cried like a baby right then and there and it was hard to keep it together. It was just the most perfect, incredible ending to a fabulous day. It makes me cry right now just writing about it.
One of my favorite things about Disney is watching how excited other people -both kids and adults- are. It makes me a little teary eyed sometimes watching their excitement and amazement.
FLSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #14
RuneSpyder
Earning My Ears

At DW a couple of years ago my son was waiting to be picked for the Jedi Training Academy. He didn't get picked and had a couple of tears. We said we would wait for the next round.

The cast member saw my son with a couple of tears. She went back somewhere and led the Jedi master out for the next round. As she passed my son I noticed her give him a little tap on the shoulder.....and the Jedi master picked my son as the last trainee!

It was a great thing that she did and made my son very happy.
RuneSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #15
McMonsters
Earning My Ears

We went to DW this past August for our pre-deployment leave. It was great for our girls 2&4 to have some daddy memories. I decided to take the girls back by myself in October for Halloween and MNSSHP. Our oldest is in love with Halloween, she waited in line for Jack Skellington for over an hour! Anyhow, we were trying to ride the Barnstormer for the first time this trip and I was excited to take the 2 year old since she hadn't met the height requirement in August. We walk up to the entrance and the CM stopped us and said we couldn't ride because we needed another adult. My 4 year old didn't understand and just wanted to ride it because it was her and daddys roller coaster. The CM, who was very young, questioned if we had anyone with us, I said no, it was just us, dad was deployed. She then asks "you brought them here by yourself?!?!" I walked away in tears while trying to console my 4 year old who just wanted her daddy by this point, we were a crying mess. This wonderful women comes up to me with her son and offers to take my daughter on the ride if I'll watch her 2 year old. She took my daughter and I took her son, I'm not going to lie, I was very paranoid. Her son and my youngest sat in the stroller and had a blast watching the fireworks while my daughter got to ride her and daddys roller coaster. I will never forget the kindness she showed our family that night, one of my best Disney memories!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: