Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
BeveMom
Mouseketeer

CA reciprocity with Handicap Parking

Can anyone tell me if California will recognize a handicap car tag from another state? Thanks!
BeveMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

All of the states recognize each others handicap passes.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
All of the states recognize each others handicap passes.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran

Has anyone ever found any official documentation that states that all states recognize the placards from all other states? This came up in a FB group I'm in and specifically in discussion about CA the wording of the law makes it sound questionable about whether they do actually accept out of state placards. I don't know of anyone ever being ticketed, but I'm not positive it's actually as clear cut as we all think. I found federal guidelines suggesting that states should reciprocate placard eligibility, however, it clearly stated that said reciprocation was not legally required.
WheeledTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

http://sfpark.org/wp-content/uploads...-overview2.pdf

The following is from the link.

 Placards issued by other jurisdictions. Visitors from other states and
countries are authorized to display placards issued by other governments and
receive the same benefits as holders of placards issued by the California DMV
Old 03-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledTraveler View Post
Has anyone ever found any official documentation that states that all states recognize the placards from all other states? This came up in a FB group I'm in and specifically in discussion about CA the wording of the law makes it sound questionable about whether they do actually accept out of state placards. I don't know of anyone ever being ticketed, but I'm not positive it's actually as clear cut as we all think. I found federal guidelines suggesting that states should reciprocate placard eligibility, however, it clearly stated that said reciprocation was not legally required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
http://sfpark.org/wp-content/uploads...-overview2.pdf

The following is from the link.

 Placards issued by other jurisdictions. Visitors from other states and
countries are authorized to display placards issued by other governments and
receive the same benefits as holders of placards issued by the California DMV
The first attempts to make handicapped parking laws uniform across the US began in the 1980s. At that point, different states had very different state laws about requirements, ways to apply, rules and placards.

The ADA made some design requirements, in terms of the number, size, shape and markings for handicapped parking spots, but did not mandate the permits themselves.

The Federal guidelines were set up to suggest a uniform code for systems to build their own laws on. Since each state had their own laws (and felt it was a state's rights issue), the Federal government was not able to mandate that states follow the uniform code or recognize handicapped permits issued in other states.
Each state passed a law with wording similar to the California one that Michigan quoted. I don't know exactly the year that the last state passed their own law, but it was quite a while ago and all states recognize the handicapped parking permits issued by all other states.

The words "receive the same benefits as holders of placards issued by" are very important for travelers. The benefits are somewhat different in different states, so even though your handicapped permit is recognized, you can't assume the benefits are exactly the same in the state you are visiting as in your home state.

For example, some states allow these things with a handicapped parking permit and others do not:
- parking in a metered spot without paying
- parking in a time restricted space for a longer time
- parking in a handicapped spot when the handicapped person will not be getting out

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 03-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN

The first attempts to make handicapped parking laws uniform across the US began in the 1980s. At that point, different states had very different state laws about requirements, ways to apply, rules and placards.

The ADA made some design requirements, in terms of the number, size, shape and markings for handicapped parking spots, but did not mandate the permits themselves.

The Federal guidelines were set up to suggest a uniform code for systems to build their own laws on. Since each state had their own laws (and felt it was a state's rights issue), the Federal government was not able to mandate that states follow the uniform code or recognize handicapped permits issued in other states.
Each state passed a law with wording similar to the California one that Michigan quoted. I don't know exactly the year that the last state passed their own law, but it was quite a while ago and all states recognize the handicapped parking permits issued by all other states.

The words "receive the same benefits as holders of placards issued by" are very important for travelers. The benefits are somewhat different in different states, so even though your handicapped permit is recognized, you can't assume the benefits are exactly the same in the state you are visiting as in your home state.

For example, some states allow these things with a handicapped parking permit and others do not:
- parking in a handicapped spot when the handicapped person will not be getting out
And we found it can even vary within a state. My in laws reside in Florida on the Gulf Coast and they must pay at HC metered parking. My parents also have a second home in Florida on the Ocean side and where they live, you are not required to pay for metered parking. That struck me as odd that it would be different in the same state! But we are a small state.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
And we found it can even vary within a state. My in laws reside in Florida on the Gulf Coast and they must pay at HC metered parking. My parents also have a second home in Florida on the Ocean side and where they live, you are not required to pay for metered parking. That struck me as odd that it would be different in the same state! But we are a small state.
Some cities or counties had their own laws that gave different benefits, which might be still in effect.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Some cities or counties had their own laws that gave different benefits, which might be still in effect.
Yes, the point I was trying to make though was find out if the 'rule' applies statewide. Because for example someone traveling thru Florida would have free metered parking if in say St Augustine, Cocoa Beach, Melbourne...but say they later went to the Gulf Coast and assumed the rules were the same...well they would could possibly receive ticket in many areas as they do not have free HC metered parking. See what I mean?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #10
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledTraveler View Post
The best thing is to check the rules to where you are traveling. It is my understanding that all states accept the other states , however , it is best to check. For example a few years back DC did not accept other state HC. You had to apply for a vacation one if you were visiting. They have changed their rules and accept all other states now.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #11
Tink575
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes, the point I was trying to make though was find out if the 'rule' applies statewide. Because for example someone traveling thru Florida would have free metered parking if in say St Augustine, Cocoa Beach, Melbourne...but say they later went to the Gulf Coast and assumed the rules were the same...well they would could possibly receive ticket in many areas as they do not have free HC metered parking. See what I mean?
I live down in FL part of the year and never knew some places allowed free metered parking. I just assumed that it was for parking in handicapped spots only. We were in a timed metered spot here in NY last week and didn't make it back in time and got a ticket. We were in a regular spot, no handicapped spot was free.

My dh also has a handicapped parking pass and we bring both with us as he sometimes goes out alone. Our passes are tied to our state ID, the last 3 digits are those found on your NY State drivers license or state ID.

Next visit hopefully in Sept. 2014
Offsite 1975; Offsite 1986; 30? other trips; 2006 - Present: Part-time resident
Tink575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post

That was what I wrote.

A person with a handicapped parking permit from one state will be OK parking in a marked, un-metered handicapped parking spot in another state.

The things that may change are things like paying or not paying for meters, following time restrictions or not having to, being able to park in restricted spots or not. Those are the most common things that might be different than in the parker's home state.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #13
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That was what I wrote.

A person with a handicapped parking permit from one state will be OK parking in a marked, un-metered handicapped parking spot in another state.

The things that may change are things like paying or not paying for meters, following time restrictions or not having to, being able to park in restricted spots or not. Those are the most common things that might be different than in the parker's home state.
I understand and am NOT trying to argue the point. What I am trying to say is that until a couple of years ago, I never realized that the 'rules' could change within the SAME STATE. Like I said earlier, we are a small state and the rules are the same everywhere within our state. I never considered that other states would operate differently...allowing different jurisdictions to have different rules. (And when I asked other people I knew who had HC placards and traveled they were as surprised as I was...so I was not alone in my thought process). So all I was trying to say was just because it is one way in one area of a state doesn't mean it will necessarily be that way throughout an entire state. That was what I was trying to add to the conversation.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #14
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink575

I live down in FL part of the year and never knew some places allowed free metered parking. I just assumed that it was for parking in handicapped spots only. We were in a timed metered spot here in NY last week and didn't make it back in time and got a ticket. We were in a regular spot, no handicapped spot was free.

My dh also has a handicapped parking pass and we bring both with us as he sometimes goes out alone. Our passes are tied to our state ID, the last 3 digits are those found on your NY State drivers license or state ID.
In our state if you display your HC placard in any public metered spot, you do not have to feed the meter. And HC spots in metered areas will not have a meter at all. HC placards also give you double the allowed time if it is time restricted parking. So if it is a two hour limit and you display a HC placard, you may park for four hours. Those are our laws.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: