Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #1
ehlana98
Mouseketeer

GFDF and SF

I just found out recently that I need to go gluten free, dairy free, and sugar free. Is there any restaurants that I need to avoid at Disney? Is QS safe or do I need to stick to all TS?
ehlana98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

What's your definition of sugar free? It has different meaning to different people. For some people that really means low carb, for some people that means no added sugars but artificial sweeteners are ok, for some people that means no added sugars and no artificial sweeteners, for some people that means no cane sugar, and I'm sure there are many other meanings as well.

So you can see why this is significant, Udi's brand hamburger buns contain SUGARCANE FIBER and CULTURED CORN SYRUP SOLIDS and they have 28 net grams of carbs. If avoiding anything from sugar cane due to an allergy then this is not ok. If only avoiding HFCS then it's ok because the corn syrup is not the HF form. If sugars are ok in baked goods then this is ok. Depending on how low carb a low carb diet is this may or may not be ok (generally not but depends on what else is being eaten with it). It'll also make a difference as to whether french fries are ok. They're not ok for those on low carb diets but they're GFDF (as long as you tell the chef/manager they need to be so that they can be either baked or cooked in a dedicated fryer).

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
ehlana98
Mouseketeer

No refined sugars, artificial sugars, and a limited amount of sugars that occur naturally in foods.

So I'm not 100% sure how much carbs I need to consume a day. The doctor didn't tell me just to cut out all sugars including the ones that occur naturally in food.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Your list sounds a lot like mine. I can't have gluten, dairy, any artificial sweeteners, sorbitol (I can have a little bit of this one if it's naturally occurring), mustard, tapioca, seafood, alcohol, soy, and Brazil nuts. Eating at Disney is so much easier then the real world. I can eat at several CS and TS. If carbs are okay, you might want to make a trip over to POR for GF create-your-own pasta at the food court; it's really good. For CS, I don't usually have any trouble getting food at Cosmic Rays and CHH in MK or Sunshine Seasons in Epcot. AK has a new allergy kiosk with goodies. Popcorn is just popcorn and oil so that might be okay for you but double check as always. The only place I have issues is at HS and that's usually my POR pasta break day anyway. I really recommend checking out The Wave at CR, it's a hidden gem and so close to MK too. You might want to stay away from some of the Epcot and DTD places as they aren't owned/operated by Disney and don't always do well with food issues. Captain Cooks makes a wonderful stir-fry noodle bowl but they're closing for the summer; I miss it already.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
disfan07
DIS Veteran

I'm not sugar free, but I can't have gluten, eggs, dairy, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, sesame, mustard, coconut, ginger, artificial sweetners, raw fruits, and raw vegetables, plus a few other foods.

I've always eaten very very well at Disney even with QS. I do avoid all no Disney owned restaurants such as the world showcase and downtow Disney restaurants but the only Disney owned restaurant I have ever had a problem with was garden grill....the chef was not very good and something must have gotten cross contamination because that is the only reaction I have ever had at Disney.

Some of the best meals I had were:
Crystal palace
Liberty tree tavern
1900 park fare
Citricos
The Wave
50s prime time
Sci Fi dine in
The turf Club

QS meals:
Contempo cafe
Artists palette
Sunshine seasons
Cosmic rays
Columbia harbor house
POP century food court
All Star Sports food court

This last trip, we ordered food from garden grocer and I brought safe treats with me (cupcakes, cookies, brownies, etc) and I never touched any of the food from garden grocer. I was always so full after meals that I would have one safe treat at night but otherwise I was never hungry.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
ehlana98
Mouseketeer

Thank you.

I did not know that about DTD or Epcot I have always had a non common allergies for Disney. And have never had a problem with DTD or Epcot. At Wolfgang Express the chef gave me his card to call him before I came in so he would make sure there was something there I could have. Actually those have been more helpful for me than any Disney owned. I was primarily worried about adding the others in with my nitrate and mushroom allergy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: