Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
sncbird
I need a Starbucks Latte!
Dances to the hot, hot, hot song
Just yet another reason to LOVE Jon Bon Jovi

Marriotts Sabal or Royal Palms in Wheelchair?

Hi Everyone,

We're going to Disney in June and are looking at Marriott's Royal and Sabal Palms. We have 2 big teenagers so we thought the extra room would be nice. I will use a powerchair due to my MS and I'm not sure which of these 2 resorts would be better for us. Like which one is easier to get to the main pool & restaurants in the convention center and which complex would be easier for to get around in. As far as room goes they have the choice of a roll in shower and a transfer shower. What is the difference? I've never seen a transfer shower before.

Thanks for your help
Chris
sncbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
happymommy
DIS Veteran

I think first of all it would be good to call each property to see what an accessible room is like as far as shower goes.

Sabal has no elevators, so I would think the accessible rooms are on the first floor. Royal has elevators. Both have their own pools.

I don't know if the shuttle is easy to use with a wheelchair, so I would also ask about that. We took it once from Sabal, but also the walk from Sabal is shorter than Royal.

I would think that the sunken living room would have to be changed in an accessible room at Sabal. Ask about that too!

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I agree with the other poster about calling the individual resorts.
My guess is that the 'transfer shower' would be either a tub with a shower chair or a shower that can't be rolled into with a wheelchair, but a wheelchair can be rolled close to a seat inside the shower for you to transfer to.
But, their definition could be entirely different.
Ask if they can send pictures to help you decide - with the ready availability of cell phone cameras and email, that should be easy.

For the shuttle, ask about ease of use, but also:
- how often do the shuttles run
- what hours do they run/what are the pick up times
- are all the shuttles accessible or only some
- if only some, how often do the accessible ones run and what are their pick up times
- what happens if you miss the shuttle

Please feel free to ask any more questions and let us know how things turn out.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
sncbird
I need a Starbucks Latte!
Dances to the hot, hot, hot song
Just yet another reason to LOVE Jon Bon Jovi

Thank you both so much. Great ideas to ask!! I called the hotel and a transfer shower is a small step up into the shower area which has grab bars and a bench seat. The roll in shower is much larger and my wheelchair can roll right into it with no barrier. I think the Royal Palms is the way to go so we won't have to worry about elevators. I will make another call to talk about the shuttles. Thank you again for the info and the right questions to ask
sncbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: