Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
WendyBelle
Mouseketeer

Hurt Foot...Need Advice

My family and I have been to Disney many times over the past 10 years. Our next trip is coming up in less than a week. (May 16-21)

A week ago today, I fell and badly sprained my ankle. I'm still barely hobbling around and am starting to realize that it is going to greatly impact our Disney trip.

I'm looking for tips/advice on touring Disney with a scooter or wheelchair. I'm leaning towards the scooter because I don't want hubby or kids having to push me around.

All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wendy, Chris and Family
Disney Magic - April 2011 Caribbean Beach Resort 1 night before cruise
Pop Century - Nov. '13, July '13, May '13, April '13, Dec. '11, '12, Oct. '10, Sept. '09, Dec. '08 Port Orleans Riverside - Sept. '07, Oct. '05
DISNEYLAND Summer 2010
Wendy-Girl Scouts at Fort Wilderness: 1981, Azalea Trail Maid "Happy Easter Parade": 1989
Chris-Gradnite: 1988, Trip with middle school buddy: 1983
WendyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

If you use a wheelchair you will be able to take it in all the lines with you. If you use a scooter there are rides like buzz, pirates and some others you will have to park the scooter outside and use a park wheelchair to go through the lines.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
Guatemommy
Mouseketeer

I had a similar situation years ago after I broke my foot but it wasnt fully healed when we got to Disney. Get the scooter - your family doesn't get worn out pushing you, and you will enjoy your trip so much more with less pain. I found most rides are accommodating most of the way thru the lines. If you skip a ride or two as the PP mentioned because of the ECV, as long as that is not a huge issue for you, then go with the scooter.

Me the pixie dust planner DH DD

Guatemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Chickenlady
Mouseketeer

You don't have to skip any rides because you are using an ECV (ok, maybe skip The Swiss family treehouse). For the rides like space and buzz that do not allow ECVs in the line, there are always WDW wheelchairs that you can hop into and have someone push you through the line. I've even used a combo of feet shuffling and arm propelling to get through those lines....well, maybe not space, those hills inside are killers.
Chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
WendyBelle
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for all of your advice. I went to the ortho this morning and am now in a cast from my toes to just below my knee. We have decided to rent a scooter to make life easier for everyone. I'm a little discouraged and worried that our trip will not be quite as magical, but not so much so that I'm willing to cancel. If you're there next week and see me wheeling around in my scooter and bright pink cast, say "Hi".

Wendy, Chris and Family
Disney Magic - April 2011 Caribbean Beach Resort 1 night before cruise
Pop Century - Nov. '13, July '13, May '13, April '13, Dec. '11, '12, Oct. '10, Sept. '09, Dec. '08 Port Orleans Riverside - Sept. '07, Oct. '05
DISNEYLAND Summer 2010
Wendy-Girl Scouts at Fort Wilderness: 1981, Azalea Trail Maid "Happy Easter Parade": 1989
Chris-Gradnite: 1988, Trip with middle school buddy: 1983
WendyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

make sure to contact your resort to your change, esp if multi floor and need not use steps. plus rent scooter from off site if you still can as it will help you at the resort as much as the parks. have a great trip
Betty Rohrer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyBelle View Post
Thanks so much for all of your advice. I went to the ortho this morning and am now in a cast from my toes to just below my knee. We have decided to rent a scooter to make life easier for everyone. I'm a little discouraged and worried that our trip will not be quite as magical, but not so much so that I'm willing to cancel. If you're there next week and see me wheeling around in my scooter and bright pink cast, say "Hi".
Just think of the scooter as your royal carriage -- they really are fun to drive.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: