Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
kawagner4
Earning My Ears

Need advise for autistic som

We will be guests of the Sunshine Foundation in August. Our son has severe autism. I am so worried to have him wait in lines and it be an unpleasant experience. I have heard about the new disability pass but from what I understand you will have to go to the ride, get a pass with a return time. Is this so? Any advise would be so very appreciated.
kawagner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Are you going to WDW or Disneyland?

The new system is called Disability Access Service (DAS). It is fairly similar at both coasts, but with some differences because of differences in the parks.
At both coasts, using DAS involves getting a Return Time and waiting outside of the regular queue.

Near the top of this board, there is a DAS thread for WDW and one for Disneyland. The first post in each thread is a DAS FAQs. I would suggest you start there to get an idea of how the new program works.
In addition to DAS, you will also be able to use Fastpasses like other guests.

There is a different program for children on Wish trips, which does involve more quick access. I don't know whether Sunshine Foundation is involved in that process, but your wish grantee should be able to help.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

FYI - we were told when we got the pass that anyone in the party can go to the CM and get a return time, but that the person with the pass had to be with the group to ride (obviously). We did that a couple of times both at HS and MK. One of us would get the return time and then we would all go to the ride when the time came. Eliminated the "we're standing right here and can't get on" issues.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodie View Post
FYI - we were told when we got the pass that anyone in the party can go to the CM and get a return time, but that the person with the pass had to be with the group to ride (obviously). We did that a couple of times both at HS and MK. One of us would get the return time and then we would all go to the ride when the time came. Eliminated the "we're standing right here and can't get on" issues.

That has been part of the program from the beginning.
Anyone can take the DAS card to get a Return Time, with or without the person the DAS was issued to.
When returning to the attraction, the name and picture on the DAS will be checked to make sure the person on the DAS is present.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
Aladora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagner4 View Post
We will be guests of the Sunshine Foundation in August. Our son has severe autism. I am so worried to have him wait in lines and it be an unpleasant experience. I have heard about the new disability pass but from what I understand you will have to go to the ride, get a pass with a return time. Is this so? Any advise would be so very appreciated.
As SueM asked, is this WDW or DL? If DL, then I wrote up a report about our experiences using the DAS just a few weeks ago. In DL, there are kiosks scattered around where you can get a return time instead of having to go to the ride to get one. You can also get a RT at either of the main Guest Services locations in the parks. (City Hall in DL and Chamber of Commerce in DCA) And SueM is correct, there DAS holder does not need to be there to get the return time but they do have to be there at the ride to use it.

Here are a couple of recent threads about using the DAS.

Recent DAS experience DL/DCA

Recent DAS experience

DAS + FP+(reserved in advance) = One happy mama!

The first thread is about DL/DCA and the other two are about WDW.

If you are heading to DL and have more questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: