Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Wheelchair and a party of 8?

Title says it all - my MIL will need a wheelchair for stamina, she will be able to transfer and walk into some attractions but would never be able to make it all day in any park or wait in the sun (like at FOTLK).

We plan on using FP+ and then using the regular lines for attractions she can ride. My question is on shows and what the maximum would be to enter with her - I have read 6, 8 and 10 ! Its a family reunion for her 80th and we would like to be together as much as possible but I would like to be prepared if we have to split up. I could send the kids and one other adult with her for a party of 6 and the other 2 adults could go in separately. Alternately if she thinks she could make it through the queue so we could stay together that may be her preferred option. I am thinking of Beauty and the Beast, Nemo, muppest and Fantasmic or other shows.

Any ideas or suggestions?

tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

you are a party of 8. the only time there is a limit is with a DAS. and even then there is a little flexibility built in.

there may be several rides where you are split up as the vehicle may not accommodate the entire party.

99% of the lines( attraction, ride, show) are wheelchair accessible all or part way so the entire group would enter at once.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

As PP said, there is no set limit to enter lines unless you are using a DAS, which doesn't sound necessary for her. Your while party may go through the lines together. Most ride vehicles will not accommodate that many people so you will need to split. If you are asking about seating at shows, that may depend...if it is very busy, there may only be space for 1 to accompany the wheelchair in the wheelchair seating, others may be able to sit in the row or two in front.
Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Great news- sometimes over planning can lead to over stress !!
NO worries about rides as we know we will have to split up on the few Nana can ride but it is more about the shows we would like to experience together.

Thanks!

tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
Title says it all - my MIL will need a wheelchair for stamina, she will be able to transfer and walk into some attractions but would never be able to make it all day in any park or wait in the sun (like at FOTLK).

We plan on using FP+ and then using the regular lines for attractions she can ride. My question is on shows and what the maximum would be to enter with her - I have read 6, 8 and 10 ! Its a family reunion for her 80th and we would like to be together as much as possible but I would like to be prepared if we have to split up. I could send the kids and one other adult with her for a party of 6 and the other 2 adults could go in separately. Alternately if she thinks she could make it through the queue so we could stay together that may be her preferred option. I am thinking of Beauty and the Beast, Nemo, muppest and Fantasmic or other shows.

Any ideas or suggestions?
The reason for the different numbers is that it depends on how the show or ride car seating is set up. If you are asked to split up, it will be because of space reasons.

Handicapped parade and Illuminations viewing areas generally limit to no more than 6. Those areas are small and set up so the wheelchairs and ECVs are parked almost touching each other across the front of the viewing area. The rest of their party would stand behind or at the back of the viewing area.
Most of the spaces are not that large and to provide space for the maximum number of guests with disabilities, there are sometimes 2 or more rows of disabled guests send they may limit the number of other members in the party to as few as 1 companion.
Guests with disabilities don't have to use those areas and they do fill quickly, so many people choose to just find their own spot for viewing.

If she goes on Small World and the boat ride in Mexico and stays in the wheelchair, those boats have 6 seats and one wheelchair spot. You could be together in the queue, but would need to split up for riding.
If she's very adventurous and rides Toy Story Midway Mania, there is a handicapped boarding area that avoids the stairs in the standard queue. The ride car that normally serves that area only holds 6, instead of 8 as the regular ride car does. So, you may be asked to split up when you get to the stairs.
(They can call a regular ride car there if they have had to spend extra time transforming the handicapped car by removing a seat so it can hold a wheelchair.

For shows, as was mentioned, there will be at least one companion seat so one person can sit next to her. The rest of your group will be directed to sit in the next rows.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: