Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
AliceandAriel
part of your world!

Crazy heartburn after going gluten-free, anyone else?

After trying to deny that I've been gluten sensitive for about two years now, I finally bit the bullet and have been doing the gluten-free transition for two weeks now. So far, I've been well with finding safe foods and probably eating a little better since I have to carefully think out what snacks to take to work versus just grabbing something on the go.

But three days ago, I started getting this killer heartburn and acid reflux, GERD-like symptoms. Burning in the chest like there's a fireball lodged in there, acid in the throat, bad taste in the mouth, the works. Tums 750mg chewables aren't doing anything, even in high doses. I took 6 total today and it's barely taken the edge off of the acid. Other than that, I'm fine, I just don't get why I'm having this heartburn so severe so suddenly!

I did start a food diary, and can recall back to what I ate the last few days, and I can say that it probably was a little higher on the carb end, which I read can cause heartburn, too. I just don't know if this is a wheat withdrawal symptom, or because I botched my eating habits a bit by going carb crazy. Anyone else who went GF experience something like this?

[May 2012 Off-Site WBC][May 2013 Off-Site WBC][October 2013 AoA LM][February 2014 AoA LK][October 2014 AKV-Kidani]
AliceandAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

i had crazy heartburn before, in fact that was my main symptom which is what through off doctors. i am wondering if maybe your body has been over producing acids in an attempt to break down gluten and now have nothing tough to digest? i was on proton pump inhibitors for a while. they work better than tums but are not good for long term and after a while i had a hard time eating anything too fatty.

i was trying to stop hearburn for a long time, so i gave up soda for a few years, watered down oj, watched how much tomato sauce i had etc and it really does help if you follow those tips.

keep in mind you are only 2 weeks in, it will take your body a while to heal and adjust so hang in there.

Tags
gluten free, symptoms

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: