Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
jcano
Mouseketeer

Das ??

For kids who fixate on a certain ride due to autism or another condition, would the DAS allow them to repeatedly ride that particular ride? I thought it just allowed them to bypass the line by waiting elsewhere for their return time.
Someone just asked on my fb, so I'm wondering.

1993 Off-site, 2002 Off-site, 2007 ASMo, 2008 POP, 12/2011 POFQ, beginning to plan for November 2014
Old 03-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

Using the DAS, you would have to get another return time to go on the ride again. Some people have reported asking for and receiving an accommodation for this purpose. I believe it is handled on an individual basis. There's no guarantee, but you can certainly ask. I've heard of a lot of people alternating a DAS return time with FP+ to loop a ride. Arriving early and going to the parks during less crowded times should also help.

Last edited by infopurposesonly; 03-12-2014 at 05:07 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Additional FP were discontinued at WDW.

OP - you could schedule a DAS return time, FP+ time, and DAS return time back to back to minimize the waiting period. Going in the morning while waits are lower is also beneficial. There's no longer a way to continuously loop though without waiting a period of time.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Additional FP were discontinued at WDW.
Is this official or rumor? I hear of quite a few people saying they still receive them, others saying they have been refused. That's why I say it doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited by infopurposesonly; 03-12-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcano View Post
For kids who fixate on a certain ride due to autism or another condition, would the DAS allow them to repeatedly ride that particular ride? I thought it just allowed them to bypass the line by waiting elsewhere for their return time.
Someone just asked on my fb, so I'm wondering.
not in quick succession. you get a return time... get into the FP line, ride the ride, then must get a new return time, get into the FP line and repeat.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

If you believe your needs won't be met by the DAS, you can always email Disney before you trip. My daughter doesn't loop, so that isn't an issue for us, but we have other medical needs that wouldn't be met by the DAS alone, and I have an email from WDW stating exactly how they will accommodate our family's needs. I'm bringing that email with me to Guest Relations.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Quote:
Originally Posted by infopurposesonly View Post
Is this official or rumor? I hear of quite a few people saying they still receive them, others saying they have been refused. That's why I say it doesn't hurt to ask.
From the official Disney World guide for guests with cognitive disabilities:
Quote:
To learn more about the Disability Access Service Card as well as additional accommodations available based on individual service needs, visit the Guest Relations lobby location near the entrance
at any of the four Theme Parks..
All you can do is ask at guest relations. Specific additional accommodations aren't allowed to be discussed here on DIS since they are so individual. My DD doesn't need to ride anything over and over but she does like to ride Everest twice. In her case we have FP+ scheduled and plan to get a DAS return time during the same window so she can just get back in line.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Old 03-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Since they were never 'official' to begin with it'd be hard to find anything official. But, the websites and frequenters requesting them have all confirmed they're gone via the phone and in person. Happened roughly in line with FP+ going out for everyone, so I guess January? A CM blog reported it first.

DL still does them.

Last edited by aaarcher86; 03-12-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylvr View Post
All you can do is ask at guest relations. Specific additional accommodations aren't allowed to be discussed here on DIS since they are so individual.
I edited my original post to remove reference to the specific manner in which looping is sometimes accommodated. However, in a letter to a chapter of a national autism organization, an executive from Walt Disney World specifically mentioned that it can be accommodated. The group's spokeswoman said she was asked to share the letter, so it's not like it's a secret. So yes, potentially looping can be accommodated.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I edited my original post to remove reference to the specific manner in which looping is sometimes accommodated. However, in a letter to a chapter of a national autism organization, an executive from Walt Disney World specifically mentioned that it can be accommodated. The group's spokeswoman said she was asked to share the letter, so it's not like it's a secret. So yes, potentially looping can be accommodated.

It's a shame that Disney still allows looping. No one, child or adult, should be permitted to ride multiple times with little to no wait while others are waiting to ride even once.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I recall mentioning they would work with people, particularly during the adjustment period. No specific mention of looping that I saw, unless we are talking about two different letters. With FP+ and the DAS and planning, riding multiple times can happen but it won't be instantaneous.

They aren't going to put themselves in a position for abuse like they did before, and 'working with' people doesn't necessarily mean what the person wants it to mean. And of course, like all things Disney, things can change at any time without notice. Like you said, doesn't hurt to ask about it. I definitely wouldn't expect anything outside the DAS and FP+.

ETA: this? http://www.autismspeaks.org/news/new...-about-changes

Last edited by aaarcher86; 03-12-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post

I recall mentioning they would work with people, particularly during the adjustment period. No specific mention of looping that I saw, unless we are talking about two different letters. With FP+ and the DAS and planning, riding multiple times can happen but it won't be instantaneous.

They aren't going to put themselves in a position for abuse like they did before, and 'working with' people doesn't necessarily mean what the person wants it to mean. And of course, like all things Disney, things can change at any time without notice. Like you said, doesn't hurt to ask about it. I definitely wouldn't expect anything outside the DAS and FP+.

ETA: this? http://www.autismspeaks.org/news/new...-about-changes
They have come up with other ways of accommodating these needs,
It is very much based on individual needs, but has been mentioned that they have discussed adding extra FP+ times in addition to the 3 given a day,
So that it could be booked for straight after somebody had already ridden.

I do know of some definite accommodations for these needs that are in place still, so it would be a case of asking before you go and getting an email confirmation, or seeing if the DAS works and if not going back to GS.

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
Old 03-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #13
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post

It's a shame that Disney still allows looping. No one, child or adult, should be permitted to ride multiple times with little to no wait while others are waiting to ride even once.
Would you be referring to even MAW children here too!

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
Would you be referring to even MAW children here too!
No. And everyone is on the same page with that. Wish kids are completely outside the spectrum of discussion on the DAS.

I thought we'd move past adding (except for MAW of course) behind everything.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #15
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
They have come up with other ways of accommodating these needs, It is very much based on individual needs, but has been mentioned that they have discussed adding extra FP+ times in addition to the 3 given a day, So that it could be booked for straight after somebody had already ridden. I do know of some definite accommodations for these needs that are in place still, so it would be a case of asking before you go and getting an email confirmation, or seeing if the DAS works and if not going back to GS.
What they've discussed isn't helpful at this time.

The GR CMs I'm in touch with must not know what you know.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: