Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
SpringBreak
Earning My Ears

Can I put diapers in a checked "medical supplies" bag?

I'm traveling with a g-tube fed toddler. I've read that my airline allows checking a medical supplies bag free of charge. We will be carrying-on all our other luggage.

In the medical bag, I have all of his g-tube supplies and medications. However, there is still room in the bag and I'm wondering if I can fill it up with diapers. Not only would this be a great way to save some room in my other luggage, but I am worried about his feeding pump and am thinking the diapers will provide cushion for the pump and liquids. What do you think?
SpringBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I'd try to check with your specific airline. For a toddler, they may deem the diapers "non-medical" (since a typical toddler would need diapers as well) and that would negate the "medical bag" exemption. Do you have a smaller bag you can use for the medical stuff so there isn't a lot of extra space? I'd use bubble wrap or other packing material as a cushion; nothing that might be confused or considered non-medical. Even something as simple as tucking a magazine to read can negate the "medical bag" exemption.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
SpringBreak
Earning My Ears

Wow, a magazine, huh? Time to make a new plan. I suppose they unzip the bag and check it's contents at the counter? I've never done this before, so I'm not sure what to expect.
SpringBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringBreak
Wow, a magazine, huh? Time to make a new plan. I suppose they unzip the bag and check it's contents at the counter? I've never done this before, so I'm not sure what to expect.
I have never had mine checked. TSA/Security opened it once because one of my devices with the way I wrapped the chords around it, looked like a bomb to them...I guess.....lol.
Only once did a flight attendant get snotty with me about my extra bag. I politely informed her she needed to check her employer's policies as a bag of medical supplies does NOT count against your carryon allowance. The other FA standing there basically told the first FA to knock it off, I was fine. Other than that....never had a problem!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Wow, I'm going to have to really read different airlines' fine print now! Most of my carryon bag is usually taken up with medical supplies, and it would be amazing to be able to bring a second bag just for them.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:23 AM   #6
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel
Wow, I'm going to have to really read different airlines' fine print now! Most of my carryon bag is usually taken up with medical supplies, and it would be amazing to be able to bring a second bag just for them.
Taken directly from SW's Customers with Disabilities information page....

Medication
We recommend that Customers carry on all medication and assistive devices that can be stowed in accordance with Federal Aviation Administration regulations. If an assistive device is carried in a bag with no other personal items, the bag is not subject to our carryon limitations. If a Customer opts to check an assistive device or medication, it is important that he/she notify our Employees at the time the bag is checked that an assistive device/medication is within it.

I have used AirTran and it is the same. Can't speak for other airlines though. AND on top of my medical supply bag, they request that I taken certain 'easily damaged' parts off of my ECV into the cabin when I gate check my ECV. My experiences for years now.... Flew 12 times last year alone.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:36 AM   #7
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

My sister usually flies sw and my nephew has a duffle bag on wheels that contains his medical equipment and medicine. Sw always opens and looks inside.
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:04 AM   #8
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Can they check?
Yes

Would they check?
Maybe. Maybe not.

If they check and find anything other than medical supplies, they will charge whatever their bag fee is for a bag or a second bag.
I have read about people getting their bags checked and having it designated non-medical because something in the bag was not medical related. And, yes, it could be as little as a magazine, depending on how strict the people checking want to be.

We have not personally had our DD's checked medical bag looked at, but we are also very careful that everything in it is medical. We take no chances because we don't want to be charged. For at least 20 years, we have been carrying on a bag of wheelchair parts that I remove from the wheelchair at the gate. And, my DD has one backpack that is mostly full of supplies she needs. Plus, we have her iPad, which also talks for her.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
CiCiBee
Living Happily Ever After!

We flew US Airways with DBil with a medical bag weighing a little over 100lbs because of batteries for his ventilator. We also had all of our food for our trip, the only opened it because we were over the weight limit, and we had a whole bag of oranges sitting right on top, we took a few things out, and they didn't even bat an eyelash at what was in the bag.

CiCiBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #10
ButterflyEffect
Earning My Ears

We have flown with my dd for the last three years, six flights and no one has ever checked the contents. I never even contemplated them arguing the fact that it is a medical bag! We fly with Delta. I cram as much as I can in the bag, if more fits that isn't medical once I have all her medical "stuff" packed, for sure I am putting it in too. We also carry on a ton because I can't risk losing any of her machines or meds so we had three medical bags (two are small) as carry on as well.
ButterflyEffect is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: