Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
Blue32
DIS Veteran

Convince me to try Summer

I know opinions vary on the subject of best times of year to visit and opinions on crowd levels but I'd like to hear from those that really love summer trips to DLR.

We have a trip planned for the last week in April but we have booked our flights thru Southwest so we can move our dates without change fees. We are seriously considering moving our trip to the 2nd week in June. It looks like this year is an unusually bad year for refurbs and the list has grown to be a deal breaker if it does not change much. We are looking to move it to catch some more of our favorite rides being open.

I know a fair amount about touring the parks, using FP, and have read the many helpful Hydroguy threads. I am still just a bit concerned about crowds and I guess I am just looking for some assurance that we can in fact "make it work" and have great time despite the higher crowd levels. Anyone care to try?
Blue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
silence
Missin' Mickey

We have been in the summer and have had great trips. With longer park hours, we tend to go early, break. For lunch/pool/naps and head back for evening fun. Granted, we have AP so we don't mind skipping things due to lines and aren't in a super rush each day.

We like that most attractions are up. To us, the only drawback is the heat. But then, we were there once in May when it was 105 and we couldn't wait for the pool.

Lately it doesn't feel like there is an offseason anymore, so summer looks more appealing with the longer hours and such.

We are actually looking at going that same week in June.

Past Trips: Feb/Mar '14 - GCH Cheer Comp / Dec '13 - Candy Cane Inn / June '13 Candy Cane Inn / May 4 13 DCL FANTASY cruise and MK / Jan '13 GCH / July '12 DLH / April 1 '12 DISNEY CRUISE on the WONDER! / Feb 20 11 DISNEYCRUISE to MR and DISNEYLAND - Candy Cane Inn / Oct 10 - GCH / Nov 10 - HoJos / July 10 - HoJo's / July 09 - HoJo's & DLH / May 09 - HoJo's / April 09 - HoJo's & Candy Cane Inn / January 09 - HoJo's / November 08 - HoJo's / October 08 - HoJo's / Aug 08 - Desert Inn / May 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Mar 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Nov 07 - Ramada Inn Maingate / Sept 07 - Hawthorn Suites / May 07 - Paradise Pier / Aug 06 - HoJo / Dec 05 - DLH / May 03 - Hawthorn Suites / Sept 02 - Hilton Garden Inn / Nov 00 - Hilton Garden Inn / Sept 99 - Hawthorn Suites
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Well, I see you have read some of my posts so not sure if I can add anything you have not yet read.

Crowds will be there but generally are not nearly as bad as most people expect. Summer trips definitely work better for those who can get themselves up early and to the parks for rope drop, take afternoon breaks, and stay out into the later hours of the evening.

Heat is usually not bad but true heat waves of course can happen. Afternoon breaks help with this. And high temps in the 80's are more typical. In June it is like average highs of 80. I personally think the typical summer temps are ideal. I leave the hotel early morn in a tee-shirt and shorts and temps are low to mid-60's. Then it warms into the 80's. Evenings are 70's and maybe high 60's.

Summer has lots of daylight. Riding Splash and Grizzly is just not very concerning because you dry off so quickly.

I usually plan lunch in a cool restaurant with A/C to cool off and replenish fluids.

I really feel that summer is the best time to go. Not a trade-off with a lot of undesirable aspects. The best. I would choose it all the time. I like the warmth. The max offerings. Lots of daylight. To me that is Disney.

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
Rubygoose
Everybody's got a laughing place

We went in late Sept in 2011 and 2012, then went in July 2013. We absolutely loved going in the summer. There is so much more going on and no ride closures (except BTMRR). We stayed onsite and made it to 7am EE most mornings, or at least got there before regular rope drop. We got most of our rides done before lunch and spend the afternoons and evenings watching shows, swimming or shopping.

You can take a look through my TR if you like.
Rubygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
wrightut
Earning My Ears

Smile Summer

Our last two trips were summer trips - 1st week of July and 2nd week of August.

We love summer trips. We are early risers so the 8 am rope drop (or 7 am MM) are easy to make and we love the park early - it is cool and not as crowded. We do what alot of people do - do a ton in the mornings and slow down in the afternoons. Sometimes we stay but if we are coming back for nighttime shows, we leave and then come back in the early evenings.

We love that there aren't major ride refurbs. Of course sometimes rides are down but that happens. Disney doesn't seem to plan alot of refurbs in the summer.

We love that all the shows - fireworks, WOC, Fantasmic, parades - are playing.

I know some people talk about the crowds but honestly we just expect it and aren't bothered. We use FP and plan for lots of rides in the mornings. We have always ridden everything we want over the course of a three day trip and often hit the favorite multiple times.

Weather I know can be a concern for those sensitive to the heat. In our past two trips, it hasn't been an issue. Honestly our July trip was in the 80s and we must have hit the mother-lode last August because it barely broke 80 when we were there - it was almost too cool for the kids to swim in the pool. It was lovely.

We love summer trips. Yes it is crowded but we have a good time.
wrightut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
All American
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence View Post

We are actually looking at going that same week in June.
We're going that same week, and I went back and forth about it mostly because of grad nights, but I'm just going to back some extra patience. Should be fine. I've grown weary of stressing out about crowds, so we go when we can crowds or not.

Some bonuses of going in the summer:
1. Packing is sooooo much easier -- t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops. In June, there's June Gloom, but that's nothing a light-weight hoodie can't fix.

2. Drying off after the water rides. Get wet on splash mountain in the summer -- it's refreshing! Get wet on Splash Mountain in December, and you could be pretty cold for a while.

3. Longer hours. My family isn't into rope drop, so we get there later in the day. I love the time from sunset to so late into the night until closing. Everything cools off to point of comfortable but not cold. You can get quite a few hours in the park in rather pleasant weather. Just sleep in the next day to recover if that suits you.

4. Dole Whips, while good any time, just hit the spot on a hot, summer's day!

5. Swimming! Swimming! Swimming!

DH Me DD DD
All American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
luulu1999
DIS Veteran

You guys are making me sooo excited!!! We have finally finalized our dates and we are going July 27th-August 4th our last and first trip was Christmas and it got down right cold at night so I am excited to get to go when it is nice out and even go visit a beach...my kids have never seen the ocean

TRIP REPORT STARTED:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post52056072
DS(6) DD (5) DBF Me

Christmas 2012-1st Disneyland trip-hopefully many more to come
luulu1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
seagodess
DIS Veteran

I have never been in the summer, and I really dont think I ever will go in the summer just because of the heat. Our May 2012 trip was hot enough for us to not want to do summer. It was high 70's-80's. That is pretty hot for us, especially when we are doing so much walking. It was my first sunburn I had ever gotten before late July .

March 2005- 1st DL trip. My Honey Moon
May 2012- DS's 1st DL trip and 5th Birthday- Trip Report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2934231)
March 2014- Trip report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3256794)
seagodess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagodess View Post
I have never been in the summer, and I really dont think I ever will go in the summer just because of the heat. Our May 2012 trip was hot enough for us to not want to do summer. It was high 70's-80's. That is pretty hot for us, especially when we are doing so much walking. It was my first sunburn I had ever gotten before late July .
This was our issue - we went last year in early May and we had a few days of high 90s and that was enough for us to realize we would never visit any later than March or earlier than November - mind you for us here in Calgary, going to DLR resort when it's already nice weather here seems silly - we like to go when there is a large difference in temperature between our freezing cold and the nice California sunshine!!

That and grad nights would keep me away - but I realize rides are an issue this year.
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
Blue32
DIS Veteran

I appreciate all the comments. I was really hoping we could make the dates in late April work but as the ride list for possible closures kept growing, so did my desire to try summer. I think we will do well with the early mornings but my 8 year old never takes naps anymore and I don't know if she would even if she tried. But I suppose getting out of the sun and resting your feet is still a good idea in the afternoons. Without a nap, I don't know if she would make it until closing though.

I do like the idea of longer hours though. It seems like everyone says even on very busy days you can get a lot done in the mornings.
Blue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #11
silence
Missin' Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue32 View Post
I think we will do well with the early mornings but my 8 year old never takes naps anymore and I don't know if she would even if she tried. But I suppose getting out of the sun and resting your feet is still a good idea in the afternoons. Without a nap, I don't know if she would make it until closing though.
For us, our trick was we ALL laid down. After lunch and a swim, back to the room and we laid down, no electronics. The kids totally fell asleep, even the teenager. It was the only way to prevent grumpy kids and grumpy parents!

Good Luck!

Past Trips: Feb/Mar '14 - GCH Cheer Comp / Dec '13 - Candy Cane Inn / June '13 Candy Cane Inn / May 4 13 DCL FANTASY cruise and MK / Jan '13 GCH / July '12 DLH / April 1 '12 DISNEY CRUISE on the WONDER! / Feb 20 11 DISNEYCRUISE to MR and DISNEYLAND - Candy Cane Inn / Oct 10 - GCH / Nov 10 - HoJos / July 10 - HoJo's / July 09 - HoJo's & DLH / May 09 - HoJo's / April 09 - HoJo's & Candy Cane Inn / January 09 - HoJo's / November 08 - HoJo's / October 08 - HoJo's / Aug 08 - Desert Inn / May 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Mar 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Nov 07 - Ramada Inn Maingate / Sept 07 - Hawthorn Suites / May 07 - Paradise Pier / Aug 06 - HoJo / Dec 05 - DLH / May 03 - Hawthorn Suites / Sept 02 - Hilton Garden Inn / Nov 00 - Hilton Garden Inn / Sept 99 - Hawthorn Suites
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
nannyz
DIS Veteran

We have been going to DL in the summer for 30 years and have always had a great time. We arrive when the park opens and stay until closing or after the fireworks. If we get tired, we just get a drink and sit in the shade for a while.
If you get 5-day hoppers, you do not have to rush to do anything. Love it!
nannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
Butterfly123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence View Post
For us, our trick was we ALL laid down. After lunch and a swim, back to the room and we laid down, no electronics. The kids totally fell asleep, even the teenager. It was the only way to prevent grumpy kids and grumpy parents!

Good Luck!

This is exactly what we do! Lights off, electronics off...even if just for a rest for 20 minutes. My very anti-napping teens all fell asleep by the second day!

Forgot to add...I love going to Disneyland in the summer!

Disneyland: 1969, 1974, 1982, 1985, 1990, July 2001, April 2003, April 2004, April 2005, April 2006, April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, June 2011, July 2012, June 2013. Next visit summer 2015!
Butterfly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #14
gerilyne
Mouseketeer

We have gone in August for the last 2 years and will agian this year, right before the So Cal passes become unblocked. We like it for the extended hours, the warm summer nights (you can ride the water rides, get soaking wet and not have to worry about being chilly), and just being in the warm sunshine.

we are early risers so we get to the park for EMH/MM and go until mid-afternoon when the crowds start to peak. We head back for a nap or swim or just to rest in someway before going back until closing time.

With the hours from 7-midnight we can ride all the rides we want and never really have to mind about the crowds. We also for for at least 5 days so we have almost enough time without having to rush around.

I also like it because there are usually fewer rides down than at other times.

Disney World Trips
twice in the 1970s, once in the 1980s, July 1991
gerilyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We ended up with a July trip the other year, and it was VERY pleasant, in our opinions.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: