Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #106
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
You guys are absolute champions for making it around the world!
You know I love the idea of lobster mac and cheese, but I don't think I've ever had one out that I've LOVED. (I did have a fab lobster risotto in Vegas once, though!) Yours definitely looks oily and not deliciously cheesy. Unfortunate!
I'm glad you guys liked La Hacienda, though! The Rosita was a bit too floral tasting for me, but those shrimp tacos look amazing! Fried instead of grilled was an interesting choice on their part, but I'm glad you liked it!
If you're ever in Manhattan, try MacBar in Soho. their lobster mac is insanely good, and very reasonably priced. It's a really small place though, only 4 or 5 tables, so I usually get mine to go. They have some other interesting Macs, like Duck Confit and Reuben.
JessicaKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #107
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaKnits View Post
If you're ever in Manhattan, try MacBar in Soho. their lobster mac is insanely good, and very reasonably priced. It's a really small place though, only 4 or 5 tables, so I usually get mine to go. They have some other interesting Macs, like Duck Confit and Reuben.
Haha, I used to work in SoHo. Mac Bar was my place! I always had the Mac Shroom. Mmm truffle oil!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #108
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Haha, I used to work in SoHo. Mac Bar was my place! I always had the Mac Shroom. Mmm truffle oil!
Ah! Small world. I will be back in New York next month and have absolutely no reason to be in SoHo, but am desperately trying to find something, just so we can go to MacBar.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #109
kimgof
DIS Veteran

Great Reviews!

Halloween'04 ASSports,Aug '06 POR, Sept '08 POR, Aug '09 Poly,Aug '11Poly&HRH,Aug '14 POP&HRH
DS(19) DS(13): DD(11) me & DH
kimgof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #110
budafam
DIS Veteran

Love your reviews! Drinking around the world looks like so much fun!
DxDP 12/3/13-12/10/13
Upcoming Trips: 9/21-9/29 POR & 10/25-10/31 BWV 10/31-11/3 DREAM

budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #111
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimgof View Post
Great Reviews!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafam View Post
Love your reviews! Drinking around the world looks like so much fun!
It was! I encourage everyone to try it. We wouldn't have made it through if we didn't split drinks most of the way though. I think the only times we got our own were in Mexico and Norway and Italy. Everything else we shared.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #112
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

I fell behind on your wonderful reviews, so going back to:

Tony's: how lovely to read a positive review of Tony's for a change. I agree it's not exactly gourmet Italian, but we've always enjoyed our meals there and it certainly is lovely inside.

Kona Cafe: my DS and I had lunch at Kona during our last trip and had an enjoyable meal. Service seems to be a real issue there now as we too experienced a less than stellar server. The food is good enough to keep you coming back though! I loved the look and description of both sushi dishes, I'm going to have to try one of them next time!

The Wave: I keep reading wonderful reviews of the breakfast buffet at the Wave but sadly haven't tried it yet. We're big fans of dinner there, the food is always fresh and delicious. How great the chef made special eggs benny just for you, and they looked soooo good!

Drinks around the world Part 1: LOVE the look on your face when you discovered La Cava was closed! And OT, I love the nail polish you were wearing, very pretty! That coffee drink from Norway is calling my name, as well as the Peach Snap and Rosa Regale.

Coral Reef: My first thought after seeing the picture of your app was "wow, that really looks burnt!" Glad to hear it didn't taste that way. I tried lobster mac & cheese at House of Blues in Downtown Disney last September and was pretty underwhelmed. I love lobster and I love mac and cheese but I've discovered I don't like them in combination. It didn't help that the lobster was rubbery, something that will turn me off pretty quick. Sorry your experience at CR wasn't any better than mine. I often find mango desserts can have a rather artificial taste, I'm sorry that Megan's dessert was like that but your Chocolate Wave looked wonderful! The tank pics are great, the stingray looks like he's smiling at you, lol!

Drinking around the world Part 2: You gals did a great job on your quest! I've never tried the Pear Magners but as I'm also a fan of Strongbow I think I'd probably like this one too. I've been known to indulge in a glass of plum wine (or two) when dining in Japan, delish! The Red Stag lemonade is no longer on the menu at the America pavilion?? Oh the humanity!! I really hope they bring it back tout de suite! What exactly is an angry orchard, another cider drink?

La Hacienda: I too had the queso app last October and it was exactly the same as Megans. Hard as a rock and impossible to cut, let alone dip your chips in. Very disappointing. The rest of your meal looked incredible! I had the shrimp taco offered at the Mexico booth during Food & Wine and it was amazing! Those look exactly the same so I know how awesome they are.

Ok, I really shouldn't read these reviews before lunch because now I'm really starving, lol!

All caught up and looking forward to more!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #113
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB1228 View Post
I fell behind on your wonderful reviews, so going back to:

Tony's: how lovely to read a positive review of Tony's for a change. I agree it's not exactly gourmet Italian, but we've always enjoyed our meals there and it certainly is lovely inside.

Kona Cafe: my DS and I had lunch at Kona during our last trip and had an enjoyable meal. Service seems to be a real issue there now as we too experienced a less than stellar server. The food is good enough to keep you coming back though! I loved the look and description of both sushi dishes, I'm going to have to try one of them next time!

The Wave: I keep reading wonderful reviews of the breakfast buffet at the Wave but sadly haven't tried it yet. We're big fans of dinner there, the food is always fresh and delicious. How great the chef made special eggs benny just for you, and they looked soooo good!

Drinks around the world Part 1: LOVE the look on your face when you discovered La Cava was closed! And OT, I love the nail polish you were wearing, very pretty! That coffee drink from Norway is calling my name, as well as the Peach Snap and Rosa Regale.

Coral Reef: My first thought after seeing the picture of your app was "wow, that really looks burnt!" Glad to hear it didn't taste that way. I tried lobster mac & cheese at House of Blues in Downtown Disney last September and was pretty underwhelmed. I love lobster and I love mac and cheese but I've discovered I don't like them in combination. It didn't help that the lobster was rubbery, something that will turn me off pretty quick. Sorry your experience at CR wasn't any better than mine. I often find mango desserts can have a rather artificial taste, I'm sorry that Megan's dessert was like that but your Chocolate Wave looked wonderful! The tank pics are great, the stingray looks like he's smiling at you, lol!

Drinking around the world Part 2: You gals did a great job on your quest! I've never tried the Pear Magners but as I'm also a fan of Strongbow I think I'd probably like this one too. I've been known to indulge in a glass of plum wine (or two) when dining in Japan, delish! The Red Stag lemonade is no longer on the menu at the America pavilion?? Oh the humanity!! I really hope they bring it back tout de suite! What exactly is an angry orchard, another cider drink?

La Hacienda: I too had the queso app last October and it was exactly the same as Megans. Hard as a rock and impossible to cut, let alone dip your chips in. Very disappointing. The rest of your meal looked incredible! I had the shrimp taco offered at the Mexico booth during Food & Wine and it was amazing! Those look exactly the same so I know how awesome they are.

Ok, I really shouldn't read these reviews before lunch because now I'm really starving, lol!

All caught up and looking forward to more!
Thanks for telling me about dinner at The Wave. I have always wanted to try it, but to be honest the menu hasn't appealed to me, but I am running out of restaurants to try! In fact, I think that is the only one left besides V&A's thats on the monorail!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #114
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Breakfast: Tusker House

Tusker House is absolutely one of my favorite pre-park opening breakfasts. It is a solid second behind Crystal Palace. The food at Tusker House is hands down better than Crystal Palace though!!

So now onto what I affectionately like to call "The One Where They Have Margaritas for Breakfast."

We were seated at Tusker House and told that a chef would be sent out for us. We had a bit of a wait, because the chef had to work with two other families as well. She came over to us and we explained no land animals, and no dairy for Megan. She was super awesome! I wish that we had taken down her name! I'm glad we had her come out, at other restaurants we would have been fine without a chef, but Tusker House was more of a challenge.

While we were waiting for the chef, we had time to look over the drink menu. Last time I was here I was lucky enough to have a Jungle Juice Mimosa and was keen on having that again...until I spotted this on the menu...

I don't remember exactly what it was called now. African Margarita sounds right. It really was a basic margarita with (I believe) elderflower liquer? added in...which had been imported all the way from...you guessed it, Africa.

Being somewhat of a margarita connoisseur (self proclaimed) I couldn't pass up the chance to try a margarita with very very rare (potentially scarce!) African liquer! So, that is how we both ended up with margaritas at our table. One other waiter gave us a fist bump for having margaritas for breakfast and asked us where we were from. "Wisconsin." we replied. "Oh, well that makes sense then." and he walked away. Sorry Wisconsin, we're not helping out with stereotypes AT. ALL. on this trip.

We made our way up to the buffet.

I started with this (so sorry about the bite!)

Counter-clockwise from far right...

Cherry-cheese blintzes (I LOVE them!), yams (or sweet potatoes, I can't remember for sure, but I think they were yams) with coconut, veggie quiche, fried plantain, mealie bread (which I did not care for, it was like sawdust) and potato and leek frittata, which was the special for the day.

I LOVED both the quiche and the frittata. Both were super flavorful.

Megan started with this...

Breakfast potatoes, a banana, some melon and veggie quiche.

Then the characters were making their rounds...

Then I had to go back for more, and end up with some grits and cheese, more blintz, more frittata, and bread pudding with vanilla sauce. But just a smidge!

Overall, everything here was excellent. Can't wait to go back again!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #115
Dislover1991
DIS Veteran

Tusker House looks great! I think we will definitely make a stop there on our next trip! Do they still have the Krispy Kreme donuts?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #116
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislover1991 View Post
Tusker House looks great! I think we will definitely make a stop there on our next trip! Do they still have the Krispy Kreme donuts?
It is absolutely worth it! I'm not sure if they still have the Krispy Kremes or not. To be honest, I'm from Winston-Salem which is the home of the KK, and so I've never paid much attention to them when I've been anywhere else. I feel like they were, but not positive.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #117
farrahalex76
Mouseketeer

I love Tuskers House. The last time we went it was 11:00 and we got both breakfast and lunch and it was so good. The margarita for breakfast is hilarious. I was somewhere years ago for lunch and it was 11 and I ordered a drink and the waiter thought I was crazy he said you do know its 11 o'clock? Ugh yes don't people order drinks at lunch. And I was in Louisiana so you can't tell me that that is early for a drink there. As my uncle says it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
Old 05-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #118
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

Um, jungle juice mimosas?!? This is very important information, thank you.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #119
tiki2014
If your heart is in your dream, No request is too extreme.-Jiminy Cricket

What a great review so far! So mush good info w/ some many good restaurants. I will now be trying the cheese blintz @ TH.

tiki2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #120
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrahalex76 View Post
I love Tuskers House. The last time we went it was 11:00 and we got both breakfast and lunch and it was so good. The margarita for breakfast is hilarious. I was somewhere years ago for lunch and it was 11 and I ordered a drink and the waiter thought I was crazy he said you do know its 11 o'clock? Ugh yes don't people order drinks at lunch. And I was in Louisiana so you can't tell me that that is early for a drink there. As my uncle says it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
Um...I was in Shreveport, LA once. I remember there being a drive thru daiquiri bar where you could just drive up and get a daiquiri (complete with real alcohol.) They put a piece of tape over the cup so you would not be in violation of open container laws. I feel like any state that allows this, should be declared a judgment free zone when it comes to drinking, at any hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjersnap View Post
Um, jungle juice mimosas?!? This is very important information, thank you.

Here it is, in all its glory. And yes, they are just as amazing as they sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki2014 View Post
What a great review so far! So mush good info w/ some many good restaurants. I will now be trying the cheese blintz @ TH.
So so so good!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: