Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 AM   #91
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Lunch -- Coral Reef

Last trip, I was thoroughly disappointed that they were not offering the Lobster Mac & Cheese at Coral Reef on the day that we dined, which was my main reason for booking an ADR here.

I decided to give it another try though.

We arrived about 15 minutes early for our ADR and requested a tank side table. The lobby was very busy, but it was only about a 10 minute wait for us and we were brought to a table right next to the tank.

We started off with some rolls...

They were served super warm, and we dove right in. We needed some carbs to absorb the alcohol. We definitely were not going to have any more alcohol with lunch.

For appetizers, I started with...

Seared Crab Cakes - with tropical fruit salsa and tequila aioli $12.99

The menu now says that these were served with tequila aioli and fruit salsa. When I had them they were served with a green apple and jicama slaw. I LOVED the slaw. It was crisp, tart and refreshing. I do wish there were a sauce to go with the crab cakes though. They did look like these were almost burned, but that flavor didn't come through at all.

Megan went with this...

Creamy Lobster Soup - tarragon and brandy $8.49

This was thick, rich and creamy, but was a bit overwhelming on a hot day.

For entrees, we both decided to go with...

Coral Reef Lobster Orecchiette Pasta - with White Cheddar Cheese and Basil Oil $28.49

At long last it was mine!! And...?

I was thoroughly disappointed.

The pasta was overcooked and mushy, and the whole thing just really lacked any punch of flavor. The lobster was lovely and mild, but I felt the cheese sauce needed something. Maybe a bit of spice or a sharper cheese. I ate about half because I needed the carbs, but other than that I really could have done without this.

For dessert, we went with...

The Chocolate Wave - served with Raspberry Gelato (contains alcohol) $8.49

This was excellent and very rich!

Coconut Mango Chiffon Cake - with raspberry sauce $7.99

I don't care for Mango at all, so I didn't try this. Megan did not care for it, and said the Mango flavor tasted very fake.

Overall, the food wasn't the greatest we had on our trip, but the experience of sitting next to the tank was fabulous!

Here are some of the pictures from our lunch...

JessicaKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #92
Aristocath
DIS Veteran

Great report so far! I have to say we love Tony's and have always had excellent service there and very good meals. I'm happy to see your positive review since I see so many bad ones (which puzzles me). I'm sorry your experience at Coral Reef was just so-so. That was a great meal for us last trip. I'm finding it hard to balance out places we love with new places to try as I plan our ADRs for July.
Aristocath is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #93
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristocath View Post
Great report so far! I have to say we love Tony's and have always had excellent service there and very good meals. I'm happy to see your positive review since I see so many bad ones (which puzzles me). I'm sorry your experience at Coral Reef was just so-so. That was a great meal for us last trip. I'm finding it hard to balance out places we love with new places to try as I plan our ADRs for July.
That is always the hardest part!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 AM   #94
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Drinking Around The World (Part 2)

After Coral Reef, there was an experience at Club Cool with Beverly (you'll have to check out the trip report for that) before we headed back over to Canada. Our goal was to finish drinking around the world before dinner.

Arriving in Canada, we decided to go with the only girly beverage there...

The Torontopolitan. Which is exactly like a Cosmopolitan. I'm not sure what made it Toronto-ish, other than it was in the Canada pavillion.

Here we met some fellow day-drinkers. Shout out to John and Carol from Long Island! John and Carol were a little further along in their day-drinking than we were, but were wonderful to chat with. It was like having mom and dad right there with us to give us advice on being good day drinkers!

Next up was England. I am a big lover of Strongbow, but wanted to try something different. So we went with the Pear Magners. It was light and refreshing and crisp and exactly what we needed on a hot day.

Off to France it was for a Grand Marnier slushie...

And then to Morocco for a Habibi Daiquiri, which was just like a normal daiquiri but with rose water added. I personally did not taste anything but strawberry.

Next up was Japan for some plum wine. It was very sweet and very strong. I loved it!

And last up was America...where I threw a tiny fit about the removal of the Red Stag lemonade. Seriously, WHY?!?!? So we settled for an Angry Orchard, because, I quote "America is stupid and boring."

After that, it was time to head to Mexico for dinner!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #95
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

love the reviews..was thinking of staying at art of animation next year..looks really neat..

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #96
farrahalex76
Mouseketeer

I'm going to have to remember that pear mangers. That sounds good.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:19 AM   #97
Pylegirl
Earning My Ears

Oh so glad I found. We are planning our 1st trip and it's awesome to actually see photos of the food, read reviews, etc. We have lots of planning time but no ideas what we want to do for dining. Had thought about skipping dining and going with 2 bedroom villa but your post make me think we should skip cooking and enjoy the taste of Disney!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #98
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2my3kids View Post
love the reviews..was thinking of staying at art of animation next year..looks really neat..
It was awesome. We probably will stay somewhere else next time for a new experience, unless they start to offer a discount on the Little Mermaid rooms. We paid the full rack rate for our trip this year, just so we could stay there. We enjoyed it, but it wasn't THAT great that I would pay full price each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrahalex76 View Post
I'm going to have to remember that pear mangers. That sounds good.
It was delicious! If you are a cider drinker and haven't had Strongbow yet, that's another great option in England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylegirl View Post
Oh so glad I found. We are planning our 1st trip and it's awesome to actually see photos of the food, read reviews, etc. We have lots of planning time but no ideas what we want to do for dining. Had thought about skipping dining and going with 2 bedroom villa but your post make me think we should skip cooking and enjoy the taste of Disney!
You will at the very least want to enjoy a few Disney meals! It's my favorite part of going! When I planned my first trip I found everything so overwhelming, I relied on dining reviews heavily to make our selections, so I've always tried to return the favor! I hope this helps you decide!
Old 04-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #99
ashleighbass06
DIS Veteran

Loving this report! I have been looking for pics of the drinks around WS! Thanks for sharing!
ashleighbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #100
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Well that is too bad your lobster pasta wasn't that great at CR. Oh well right! I love your drinking around the world pics and reviews!! Being 7.5 months pregnant I so long for a tasty adult beverage
Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #101
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I love the setting at Coral Reef but the menu is not appealing to me at all!! I really only would eat the steak , I had eyed tth crab cake but after seeing them here am not so sure !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #102
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

No more Red Stag Lemonade? This breaks my heart! Nothing but beer drinks in America is a travesty!

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #103
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighbass06 View Post
Loving this report! I have been looking for pics of the drinks around WS! Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
Well that is too bad your lobster pasta wasn't that great at CR. Oh well right! I love your drinking around the world pics and reviews!! Being 7.5 months pregnant I so long for a tasty adult beverage
Oh I can't even imagine! Cheers to the next month and a half going quickly and smoothly for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I love the setting at Coral Reef but the menu is not appealing to me at all!! I really only would eat the steak , I had eyed tth crab cake but after seeing them here am not so sure !!!
The person next to us got the steak and it did look quite delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
No more Red Stag Lemonade? This breaks my heart! Nothing but beer drinks in America is a travesty!
Yours and mine both!
Old 04-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #104
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

La Hacienda -- Dinner

We finished our World Tour of Alcohol in Mexico, where we also ate dinner at La Hacienda.

We requested a table at the window in hopes we could catch Illuminations. We checked in for our 7:00 PM reservation at 6:45, so were more than willing to wait. We got a table in the corner about as far from the windows as physically possible. It wasn't a huge deal, I understand requests are requests. This was the only place that we didn't get our seating request though.

I do apologize, since we basically ordered the same meal there won't be a ton of variety happening.

We started with chips and salsa. The green was mild and the red was slightly spicier with a very smoky flavor. I liked them both.

Then came the star of the day...

It was called the Rosita. I don't remember much about it other than it was made with top notch tequila, was incredibly strong and not fruity at all. It looked lovely.

Megan ordered the same. Unfortunately, hers came out tasting like salt water. It was horrible and had to be sent back. I'm not sure what happened since we ordered the same thing and they were made at the same time.

For appetizers, Megan ordered this....

Queso Fundido - melted cheese with poblano peppers, chorizo, and flour tortillas $12.75

Ordered without chorizo to make it veggie-friendly. This was the biggest disappointment of the night, including the salty-rita. The cheese was solid to the point that it could be cut with a knife and fork and plopped onto a chip.

I ordered this little beauty...

Camarones a la Parrilla - grilled shrimp served over caramelized pineapple and chile de arbol sauce $12.75

This was AWESOME. I've always loved caramelized pineapple, but this...OH. MY. It was the perfect blend of sweet and spicy and the shrimp were cooked beautifully. My only criticism, if I had to have one, is that I wished they would have taken the tails of the shrimp. The sauce they were in was very sticky from the pineapple and I didn't want to eat them with my hands, but eating them with a knife and fork lead to precious shrimp meat being lost!

For entrees, we both ordered the same thing...

Tacos de Camarones - Fried shrimp, chipotle-lime aioli, cabbage, lime and salsa verde, all served over flour tortillas served fresh homemade corn tortillas and rice $24.95

Normally, I would never order shrimp tacos at a restaurant. I make a pretty incredible shrimp taco myself, and restaurant tacos never compare and I'm always left disappointed. These however, fit the bill. This was a HUGE portion. There are FIVE tacos in there! There is a lot happening there, but overall, everything works together. Again, the only criticism, if I HAD to have one, is that I wish they offered the shrimp grilled or broiled instead of fried. But it was a great little indulgence and we both at ALL of these tacos!

For dessert we both went with this...

Empanada de Manzana - puff pastry filled with sauteed caramel apples, served with dulce de leche ice cream and cajeta (caramel sauce) $7.95

This was also amazing. I could drink a glass of that caramel sauce. I had to restrain myself because there was another snack on the other side of the World Showcase that I had my heart set on.

Despite Megan's salty margarita and brick of cheese, I really enjoyed our meal here. The restaurant is beautiful and vibrant and all of my food was excellent!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #105
klacey1
DIS Veteran

You guys are absolute champions for making it around the world!
You know I love the idea of lobster mac and cheese, but I don't think I've ever had one out that I've LOVED. (I did have a fab lobster risotto in Vegas once, though!) Yours definitely looks oily and not deliciously cheesy. Unfortunate!
I'm glad you guys liked La Hacienda, though! The Rosita was a bit too floral tasting for me, but those shrimp tacos look amazing! Fried instead of grilled was an interesting choice on their part, but I'm glad you liked it!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: