Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #151
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Such a bummer about Mama Melrose for you! And even worse that Fantasmic got canceled. I was really surprised on how much I liked Mama Melrose and definitely want to return!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #152
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Mama View Post
Great reviews and love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for stopping by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney meema View Post
So happy to find your review and just got caught up ... Loving so many of your cocktails and appetizers : ) I was wondering what the name of the cocktail was at flying fish? It looked really fabulous. Too bad about the scallops being put under the warming/heat lamp and becoming dry, yikes you'd think they'd know better since it's such a fine line between a perfectly cooked scallop and a dry scallop before a heat lamp as it is.
We are also doing the mama Melrose fantasmic lunch and hoping we don't get your server as well as the rain storm canceling the show, bummer. Sure hope you were able to go to another show during your trip.
Loved the slipper you ordered for your friend, looks amazing! Following along and enjoying your pictures and descriptions of your dining at disney, and your both just beautiful girls : )
Thank you for joining in! The drink at Flying Fish was a Blood Orange Margarita and it was amazing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Such a bummer about Mama Melrose for you! And even worse that Fantasmic got canceled. I was really surprised on how much I liked Mama Melrose and definitely want to return!
We would come back for the food and just hope we get a different server!
JessicaKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #153
farrahalex76
Mouseketeer

I've gotten behind. I'll have to go back and catch up. I read your CRT and I ordered the exact same thing you did. I was so good, mine had lots of sauce. I had never had a poached egg before but I was willing to try. I hate egg yolks so I was worried that I would end not eating it but I just loved it.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #154
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrahalex76 View Post
I've gotten behind. I'll have to go back and catch up. I read your CRT and I ordered the exact same thing you did. I was so good, mine had lots of sauce. I had never had a poached egg before but I was willing to try. I hate egg yolks so I was worried that I would end not eating it but I just loved it.
I could go back and eat those crepes all the time. Even though I wished there was more sauce, everything else was still delicious! Definitely a worthwhile choice!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #155
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Be Our Guest - Lunch

There were very few places I was looking forward to eating at more than Be Our Guest for this trip. It wasn't open the last time I went, so this was my first opportunity to give it a try.

We were only able to secure a FastPass reservation for 1:15 in the afternoon. Unfortunately, the day we were in Magic Kingdom it was cold and rainy and generally icky outside and we didn't feel like hanging around the park till then.

We decided to just check out the standby line. The line person told us that it was about a 90 minute wait. Our Fastpass time was in about 90 minutes, so we figured we would give it a try. Our actual wait time was about 25 minutes from the time we got in line until the time our food was being wheeled out to us.

My initial impression was that the restaurant is GORGEOUS. I only took a few pictures of the inside, but they are worth a share.

We ordered and decided to sit in the ballroom...

We were lucky enough to snag a tableside window, complete with "snow."

They wheel your food out on these adorable little carts...

Megan ordered...

Potato Leek Soup $5.29 (A snack credit on the dining plan!)

And a side of French fries, also a snack credit.

I was BEYOND excited that the French Onion soup they serve here is vegetarian! So of course, I had to go for it...

I also ordered...

Vegetable Quiche - mushroom, zucchini, bell pepper, onion, and chive quiche; served with baby lettuce and champagne vinaigrette $9.49

And for dessert...

Megan definitely had the better meal overall. I really enjoyed the few bites I got to have of her soup. It was much better than the ones I have had at both Biergarten and Rose & Crown.

The French fries were also tasty and both items were a great value on the dining plan.

Now, onto my meal.

The French onion soup was great, but it had an almost overwhelming amount of cheese on it. I'm a Wisconsin gal, and trust me, I like my cheese, but this was almost a 50/50 ratio of cheese to soup. At any rate, the soup was very flavorful, and I would order it again. I was really impressed that it was vegetarian!

As for the quiche...it was awful. The crust was chewy, the whole thing was ice cold, and my salad was an overdressed soggy mess.

I had been looking forward to the cupcake the most, and it was tasty. I do wish it had more lemon curd in the center though. I think if there is a next time here, I might like to try the lemon cream puff instead!

I'm so glad we went here for the experience. Next time I might like to try out dinner here instead.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #156
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

LOVE the look of BOG lunch - was hoping to snag a fastpass for our trip but it wasn't to be wrong booking reference in UK to use (though I was still hoping for an official invite.)

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #157
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Oh, Be Our Guest is gorgeous! I'm hoping we can get a FP for our next trip

JAMIESMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #158
lakelandcallsme
Earning My Ears

Really enjoying your reviews. I feel like I can now conqer breakfast margaritas with my head held high!
Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #159
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I didn't try either of the soupd there but I did have the lemon merangue cupcake and LOVED it . I had the pork lunch and it was fabulous !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:56 AM   #160
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
LOVE the look of BOG lunch - was hoping to snag a fastpass for our trip but it wasn't to be wrong booking reference in UK to use (though I was still hoping for an official invite.)
Even if you can't get a FastPass, I would try out the standby line. Even though they told us it would be 90 minutes, it was WELL under that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIESMITH View Post
Oh, Be Our Guest is gorgeous! I'm hoping we can get a FP for our next trip
Cheers to hoping! It was beautiful inside and I'm so glad we went. I'm really hoping that next trip we might be able to snag a dinner ADR there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandcallsme View Post
Really enjoying your reviews. I feel like I can now conqer breakfast margaritas with my head held high!
Amen to that! That was one of my favorite moments of us on our trip and was a great way to recover from drinking around the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I didn't try either of the soupd there but I did have the lemon merangue cupcake and LOVED it . I had the pork lunch and it was fabulous !!
I am hoping to go for dinner on my next trip, but I wouldn't mind going back for lunch either. On the day we went it was particularly chilly and awful outside, so the soups were fantastic!
Old 07-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #161
Soulcraft
Earning My Ears

Just tuning in... great, great reviews so far! I love the photos and attention to details (décor, presentation, taste, etc).

This is particularly interesting to me since I'm going with some friends in November (we're all 27-ish), and we haven't even begun to considering dining yet. You and Megan make the perfect culinary tour guides! We will all have deluxe dining plans as well. Is there anything we should know ahead of time (tips, advice, suggestions) pertaining to daily allotment or optimization? How do drinks work? We definitely want to try drinking around the world. Are those all separate charges? What are some can't-miss drinks?

I guess I'll have to wait until all the reviews come out before you divulge your best of the best, but is there a restaurant you recommend we can't miss? We'll be there for 7 nights (at the Polynesian!), so massive amounts of food will be consumed.

Keep up the good work!
Old 08-02-2014, 06:44 AM   #162
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcraft View Post
Just tuning in... great, great reviews so far! I love the photos and attention to details (décor, presentation, taste, etc).

This is particularly interesting to me since I'm going with some friends in November (we're all 27-ish), and we haven't even begun to considering dining yet. You and Megan make the perfect culinary tour guides! We will all have deluxe dining plans as well. Is there anything we should know ahead of time (tips, advice, suggestions) pertaining to daily allotment or optimization? How do drinks work? We definitely want to try drinking around the world. Are those all separate charges? What are some can't-miss drinks?

I guess I'll have to wait until all the reviews come out before you divulge your best of the best, but is there a restaurant you recommend we can't miss? We'll be there for 7 nights (at the Polynesian!), so massive amounts of food will be consumed.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks for joining in! As far as advice goes, I think if we had to do it over again, we would probably do only one table service meal and one signature meal (2 points) every day. Several of the days we had three table service meals and it was just SO much food because you get an appetizer, entrée and dessert with every meal.

As far as drinks go, those are all separate charges, even with your meals. I would recommend any of the margaritas from La Cava (not the ones from the cart outside of Mexico) and the Grand Marnier slushie from France! Since you are staying at the Polynesian, you definitely need to have a Lapu Lapu! The best way I can describe them is a fruity Long Island, inside a pineapple!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #163
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Dinner @ Ohana

This is the review that I have been most looking forward to writing!

I was super super worried about our ADR at Ohana. I had made our reservation here before Megan had stopped eating meat. Worst case scenario, I figured I would make a meal out of salad, shrimp and bread pudding. Certainly, there were worse things one could have a meal out of. But since Megan also no longer ate meat, I was really worried that we would both sit there with nothing to eat. I posted on the board here, and unanimously, everyone told me to cancel the ADR. The problem we had, was that there just weren't any other restaurants we were interested in.

So, we decided to roll the dice.

We started our evening at the bar, where we decided we just HAD to have the Lapu Lapu.

Lapu Lapu's under construction...

And the finished product.

We had a tag team of servers, Lori and Cliff. Both had been servers at Disney for over TWENTY years! I was so nervous about our ADR here and having to say that neither one of us ate meat, just shellfish. I was worried about getting a look or an eye roll since you know, meat is sort of the main star at Ohana.

Lori told us not to worry, they had an amazing time planned for us, and boy did they ever!

We started with salad, which of course was vegetarian friendly.

I could eat bowls of this salad, but I still wish they would bring back the old honey lime dressing!

Next up we had a trio of dips with fried wonton chips

The one furthest to the left was a red pepper hummus, the middle was a plain hummus and the right was a red pepper pesto type dip, that had a little more spice.

Next came lo mein noodles with stir fried veggies...

These were phenomenal and not dripping in oil like lo mein often is. The veggies were nice and tender and not over cooked.

And then there was a HUGE bowl of stir fried veggies with tofu.

These were awesome, and had a great amount of spice on them to make them extra delicious!

And then we were able to get some of the shrimp as well. These shrimp are AMAZING!! They have a great smoky flavor but aren't overly spicy. The marinade on them is yummy! Yes, peeling them is a pain, but if they grilled them without the shell they would be like little dry pieces of leather.

For dessert I went with the bread pudding...

Which was amazing and incredible as always!!

Megan, who sometimes has trouble with lactose, was giving a dairy free dessert of Tofutti ice cream, chocolate cookies and fruit.

The cherry on top of our Sundae at Ohana was when Lori brought us some long handled silver spoons to scoop out the drunken pineapple from our Lapu Lapu's.

Her and Cliff were so incredible that we couldn't NOT stop and say something to their manager. These two are a gem in the Disney family and they need to stay around for a long long time!

And here we are, very full, but happy as can be after our meal at Ohana!

Old 08-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #164
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

I am so glad that you had such a great time at Ohana! So refreshing to hear positive things; i feel like everything these days is negative about Ohana! I am still undecided if we will be going back since they got rid of the chicken, Corey's favorite thing!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #165
disney meema
DIS Veteran

Great to read your review of Ohana's since there is so many bad ones out there over the last several months. We have reservations in November and hoping we enjoy dining there as you both did
disney meema is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: