Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #16
minnie1012
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbean View Post
Oh NO!!! First Disney stopped the French Meadow Bakery cookies and brownies and now they're taking away my gluten free cupcake fix?! Wah!!!
I would have thought people like myself would be keeping them in business. That and the fact that they accept dining plan. And I loved Pollo (especially the salsa bar).
So sad. That was my main reason to hit DTD.
Glad I stocked up last trip and tried everything!
For those of us with allergies, what will our options be? Those OMG cookies often contain dairy.
They contain eggs so that leaves my DD5 out! She doesn't really like the Enjoy Life products only the Coco loco bars. I miss when they had Divvies! I know that wasn't good for the gluten free people but I don't see why they can't have multiple choices.
minnie1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #17
KisanMcG
The Other Wendy-Lady

I just gave Babycakes a call and spoke to a very nice young lady named Emily. I asked if the closing of the main store would mean that they would no longer have packaged items at the resorts. She said that they have not yet decided what their involvement would be, but that they are hoping to make an announcement via Twitter in the next few days to let their customers know. I will be keeping an eye on https://twitter.com/dtdbabycakesnyc
KisanMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #18
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

A friend of mine ordered cupcakes from Jillycakes. I'm not sure if this is who was being referenced in the podcast since I didn't listen but they did win when they were on Cupcake Wars. She said that not only were the cupcakes delicious (she said much better than Babycakes cupcakes) but they were are decorated really cute. They deliver. They're not a dedicated gluten free or dedicated nut free or dedicated vegan bakery so if that is important to you then they won't work for you. They can make most flavours gluten free and vegan and can customize for other allergies as well (you would need to discuss those with them).

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #19
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

I know y'all- I saw Rikki's post on the Touring Plans blog this morning and about spit out my breakfast. SO. SAD. They will be having some items available in select resort food courts, though. We tried the mini cupcakes at the Boardwalk Bakery a few times last trip and they were awesome- hopefully they up the selection of items available at the resorts. So sad to see them go!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #20
sleepingbean
DIS Veteran

Minnie1012, I think Divvies did have something gluten free. Weren't these Divvies? I had them in my mind as gluten free (and in my photos LOL, but I can't read the label anymore). That was from a 2007 trip.

Yes, I know French Meadow has eggs, but we could eat eggs and they were so good. I agree with you about Enjoylife ... room for improvement. BUT Sunshine Seasons had the chocolate bars, and those are good (just straight up candy bars).

The Gluten Free Dairy Free Food We Ate in Disney World
We are NOT Disney People - The First trip report - Pt 1

sleepingbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #21
wdwhappyplace
Earning My Ears

I got tears in my eyes when I found out Babycakes was closing. They produce the only treat that all of my family members can eat. A trip to Babycakes was one of the must do's on our vacation list. WDW has always been my Happy Place, but the changes they are making is leading me to very painfully decide to vacation elsewhere.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #22
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

Oh boo!!!!!!! 😩😩. I hope they still at least have the mini cupcakes at AoA so DD can have a bday cupcake! So disappointing!!!!!

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #23
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Can't believe that they are already demolishing that building!
Lots of people liked Babycakes.

McDonalds was kicked out only a few years ago then the building was redesigned/built for several different stores, now this!

Just wish they'd stop with 'all' the changes they are doing over all. Disney wasn't broken - so why try to 'fix' it!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #24
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

I hope that they will be offered another spot on property to continue operations. I am worried that without a storefront they will not be profitable and ultimately pull out of WDW. If they are going to be doing the baking without a storefront, I pray they expand their availability to more resort and park outlets.

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014

Grace&Carolinesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #25
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!

Do what some of us did yesterday, write an e-mail to special diets and Guest Services and let them know that you want Babycakes to reopen in a new loacation. If we don't tell them our needs, they will never know.
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #26
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

One thing to remember is that this might not all be 100% on Disney to make the decision. Yes, they would have to have a location for the bakery, but Babycakes might also decide it wasn't worth it to them. So, if you send a letter to Disney be sure to send one to Babycakes as well. Cover all your bases!

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #27
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
One thing to remember is that this might not all be 100% on Disney to make the decision. Yes, they would have to have a location for the bakery, but Babycakes might also decide it wasn't worth it to them. So, if you send a letter to Disney be sure to send one to Babycakes as well. Cover all your bases!
good point….I sent letters to Disney and just now sent one to Babycakes. Honestly, if there will be no more Babycakes then Disney needs to come up with an alternative for those with multiple allergies. I told Disney Enjoy Life products are not a treat-we get them at our local grocery store and they get packed with school lunch. I also emphasized that those with multiple allergies deserve a FRESHLY made treat-not a boxed or frozen treat…...
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #28
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
good point….I sent letters to Disney and just now sent one to Babycakes. Honestly, if there will be no more Babycakes then Disney needs to come up with an alternative for those with multiple allergies. I told Disney Enjoy Life products are not a treat-we get them at our local grocery store and they get packed with school lunch. I also emphasized that those with multiple allergies deserve a FRESHLY made treat-not a boxed or frozen treat…...
I did the same thing. I suggested they operate their own allergy kitchen and then wrap the products to prevent CC so that people with special dietary needs can also have Mickey cupcakes and cookies. I also let then know that while we are glad they offer some sort of dessert, my daughter doesn't like Enjoy Life Cookies or OMG brownies.
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #29
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denine View Post
I did the same thing. I suggested they operate their own allergy kitchen and then wrap the products to prevent CC so that people with special dietary needs can also have Mickey cupcakes and cookies. I also let then know that while we are glad they offer some sort of dessert, my daughter doesn't like Enjoy Life Cookies or OMG brownies.
Did you also offer to pay the extra charge doing this would be?
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #30
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denine View Post
They would either have to build a new kitchen facility or completely retrofit an existing location. Either way, it would be VERY costly. I have designed commercial kitchens. I have priced what it takes to "build" a commercial kitchen. It is not cheap. That cost will them be passed on to the customer. Are you willing to pay those costs?

And I am not trying to be rude, but your child not "liking" a specific brand isn't really a reason for Disney to change. Plenty of people DO like those brands just fine. There is no way for Disney to carry every product just to make every customer happy. That is impossible.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: