Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Disney for my boys
Earning My Ears

DAS and Fast Pass redundunt?

I am trying to plan by trip in October. We will be getting a DAS for my 5 year old son with Sensory Processing Disorder. I have never had a DAS before so I was wondering what the benefit is of getting a fast pass for a ride if you have DAS other than you can enter immediately instead of returning later. When returning for a DAS ride time do you just go into the fast pass line? My main reason for getting fast passes in the past has been to avoid standing in the lines because it was so hard on my son. Now with that problem solved by using the DAS fast pass is more of a convenience rather than an necessity for me. It seems like using the three I get for things like parades, fireworks, ans shows is a better option. I know that soon you will be able to get additional fast passes once your three are used. We are planning on doing a split visit each day with nap/pool time at the resort mid day. I am not sure whether I should get three fast passes in the morning hoping that there will be some available that evening for the parade, wishes, fantasmic, illuminations etc or just only plan on using three total. Any advise would be appreciated.
Disney for my boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

The DAS gives you a return time and you can only have 1 at a time.

So say you want to ride Peter Pan and the wait is 60 minutes standby. You will be given 50 minutes for your return time. If you had a FP+ for Under the Seas for that time frame, you could go to Under the Sea, ride, then head back to Peter Pan and you will have used your park time efficiently. It really depends on if you are getting DAS times for rides that are popular and therefore longer standby times. Since many kids are are going to need hotel time or quiet time somewhere in the park the 3 extra FP+ help them to enjoy a few more things, during their wait times. For kids who like only a few rides, say Buzz Lightyear is their focus; you (1) Book FP+ for 9:30 am, (2) You arrive at 9:00 am, get a DAS time and then get in the shorter standby line. They then get to ride Standby, FP+ and DAS, therefore satisfying their desire to repeat.

I would def do searches on how the FP+ for special events are rated by people. I have done them all and some work great and some were a waste of FP+ for us. I found some are very crowded, still offered no prime view and it caused even more stress for my DS.

Both FP+ and DAS enter the FP+ lines.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 7x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 14x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
Southerndisney
Mouseketeer

HopperFan, which FP+ for special events was a waste for you?
Southerndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerndisney View Post
HopperFan, which FP+ for special events was a waste for you?

Illuminations - the area they put you in is very small behind one of the gift stores. I was in line about 30 minutes in advance of my time (an hours before show) being about 25th in line. Once we were let in by time we got inside there was no space on the rail. Everyone stood because in front of this space is land, not water, including bushes. My DS couldn't see at all and my view was blocked. Add to that I was there an hour prior to showtime I really could have had a much better view, sitting, on the water with a nice snack waiting less time than that.

Fantasmic - When we went they seated us in the middle by the Dining Package folks and it was great, but soon after they started sending FP+ folks off to the sides like everyone else. Unless they have changed it back I can't see wasting a good FP+ at DHS for a seat I could get myself with only a few minutes added. When I went they actually allowed Standby to enter before FP+ and once we could we had to scan which slowed us down. Without reserved seating, not worth it. (NOTE: The Fantasmic Dining Package is a great way to come closer to show time and sit in the best seating in the stadium).

Wishes - We loved this, personal space, seated on grass in rose garden, no rush. So nice! But, if you want a direct head on view of the castle with the fireworks in their perfect place you won't get it here. The bulk of the fireworks will be to the right of castle. We are regulars so it was fine for us. The projection show is fine from here and Tinkerbell flies overhead.

Parades: Day - The spot is across from the Castle forefront show inside the hub. We got there 20+ minutes earlier than our time for each and always a line but we wanted front row for day parade. We did have front but the time in line and then sitting for a long time waiting - got very hot on the walk/road. We got some cool pics of floats with castle behind them but we felt on the curve there that we got minimal interaction from characters, we were pushed about a lot by folks who got there later as with anywhere on the parade route and we would have rather found a shady spot.

Parades: Night - We were very happy with the nighttime FP+ but I didn't plan to sit front row. We did arrive in plenty of time because we wanted to be back up against the fence/tree spot. I had planned to tape Wishes after so I wanted the support of a trashcan and not block anyone behind me. My DS sat next to me, couldn't see much because of the folks all standing, but he's been enough and was tired at that point. It is a double because you see the parade then after you can stay and watch Wishes (if you do early parade). The only thing to prepare is after parade they take down the ropes and people really push in. My position pretty much kept us buffered. You are close to Castle so miss a few of the lower fireworks behind it.

I would def do Wishes again, I would do Fantasmic if they offer reserved seating, I would do the MSEP & Wishes after. I probably would not do the daytime parade, we've done better elsewhere in shade and less stress, and I def would not do Illuminations.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 7x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 14x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !

Last edited by HopperFan; 04-18-2014 at 11:29 AM.
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

Also, with the DAS, you can return any time after the time they put on the paper. With FP, you have an hour window, but with DAS you have the rest of the day, so if you can't make it back, that isn't a problem.
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
JillyBean1899
Shiny

It essentially functions as a 4th FP that you can use over and over throughout the day. So rather than spending a FP on Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain, you FP one, grab a return time for the other, ride the FP one, then by the time you're done with it it's just about time for the DAS return.

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopperFan View Post
Fantasmic - When we went they seated us in the middle by the Dining Package folks and it was great, but soon after they started sending FP+ folks off to the sides like everyone else. Unless they have changed it back I can't see wasting a good FP+ at DHS for a seat I could get myself with only a few minutes added. When I went they actually allowed Standby to enter before FP+ and once we could we had to scan which slowed us down. Without reserved seating, not worth it. (NOTE: The Fantasmic Dining Package is a great way to come closer to show time and sit in the best seating in the stadium).
The Fantasmic Fastpass has been inconsistent.
Some people have been in a reserved area and other nights, they have not used a reserved area.
The advantage we felt was that you entered thru a dedicated Fastpass Plus entrance, so not with the large group of people.
But, even thru the regular entrance, once the gates open, the crowd thins out and it's more small bunches of people, so not walking in a huge crowd.

If you are using a stroller as a wheelchair and your child is staying in it, the wheelchair will be in the back row with space for one of your group to sit next to him and the rest in the rows in front. That arrangement of wheelchair seating is the same across the whole amphitheater, so there is wheelchair seating in reserved and non reserved areas.

There is also some wheelchair seating in the very front row, but a very few places and I would not recommend for someone with sensory issues - you will get splashed or sprayed on and can feel the heat from the fire. Plus, there is no easy and quick way out.
Quote:
Wishes - We loved this, personal space, seated on grass in rose garden, no rush. So nice! But, if you want a direct head on view of the castle with the fireworks in their perfect place you won't get it here. The bulk of the fireworks will be to the right of castle. We are regulars so it was fine for us. The projection show is fine from here and Tinkerbell flies overhead.
As of right now (April 2014) there is construction, with large fences put up, in the castle forecourt area. I'm not sure if the construction affects this viewing area, but it would probably be good to check it out.
From what I have read, the rose garden is being replaced with more grassy area and pavement.
Quote:
Parades: Day - The spot is across from the Castle forefront show inside the hub. We got there 20+ minutes earlier than our time for each and always a line but we wanted front row for day parade. We did have front but the time in line and then sitting for a long time waiting - got very hot on the walk/road. We got some cool pics of floats with castle behind them but we felt on the curve there that we got minimal interaction from characters, we were pushed about a lot by folks who got there later as with anywhere on the parade route and we would have rather found a shady spot.
Those same things are also issues with the handicapped viewing areas.

For any shows or fireworks, my suggestion is to not be in a rush. Some people leave before the show is over, but the crowd will catch up with you. If you wait a few minutes until most of the people have left the theater/area will give you a much nicer, less crowded trip out.

DAS and Fastpass are meant to be used together for DAS to work best.
Some people have prescheduled a Fastpass to be able to ride a favorite more than once without a long wait.
We used our Fastpass Pluses to preplan some of our must do's and things that typically have a long wait - things like Soarin', Test Track, Toy Story Midway Mania, the new Little Mermaid ride in MK. That way, we were not getting DAS Return Times for those things that normally have an hour or more wait when we were there.

Since the Fastpasses have a window of time for use, that allowed us to plan out some times for other things (snacks, meals, medical breaks) around those 'firm' times and we filled the in between times with DAS Return Times and attractions with short wait times.
And, since the DAS Return Time can be used at any time after the time you are to return, we had flexibility to go later on that attraction if unexpected things came up or took longer than we thought.
That worked very well for us.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
disneyobessed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean1899 View Post
It essentially functions as a 4th FP that you can use over and over throughout the day. So rather than spending a FP on Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain, you FP one, grab a return time for the other, ride the FP one, then by the time you're done with it it's just about time for the DAS return.
What do you mean by using it over and over again? If we got a return time at Splash Mt for 11am. We go to Splash Mt for 11. Do they collect the return time card??

MeDHDSDS
DD Mia
disneyobessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyobessed View Post
What do you mean by using it over and over again? If we got a return time at Splash Mt for 11am. We go to Splash Mt for 11. Do they collect the return time card??
No. They're basically saying that the card is an unlimited FP because there is no limit on how many times you can use it during your trip.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyobessed View Post
Your card has lines on it for the employees to write the attraction, current time, wait time, return time, and initials. You are allowed to have one line filled (so one spot in one line) at a time. Once you use that time, you can get another one. They do not take up the DAS card, it is yours to use for your entire stay.

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
drusba

DIS Veteran

We have used DAS in combination with FP+ and that is the best way to go. You are entitled to only one DAS at a time and, for example, if you happen to take it Splash Mountain when its stand-by line is 60 minutes, you will get a DAS for a return time 45 to 50 minutes away and thus have that amount of time with no high demand rides while you wait for the DAS time to arrive.

The combination of DAS and FP+ can work ideally for Splash Mountain and Big Thunder RR where you can set up an FP+ for one and then get a DAS for the other before going on the one and use your other two FP+'s for other rides. Likewise at Epcot where the rides you really need either FP+ or DAS for are Test Track and Soarin but you cannot get both the same day for FP+, and if you try to do both via DAS you may be looking at being able to ride both in no less than four hours when the rides have high stand-by lines resulting in long return times with DAS. With the combo you can get a FP+ for Soarin and pick up a DAS for Test Track before your FP+ time for Soarin and thus ride Test Track soon after Soarin. Likewise at Studios if you want to do both RnR and Toy Story in the same day.

In additon, the combo can be particularly helpful if you have a child who wants to do the same ride twice in one day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: