Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #61
KatMark
DIS Veteran

It sounds like a lovely day with Olivia, except for the rain.

One of these days I will get to New York and see a Broadway show.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #62
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlesista View Post
WOW - what a great experience! Making some wonderful memories for Olivia.
It was a good time and I think Olivia enjoyed it. Was happy to spend some time alone with her as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlinnf View Post
What a fun outing! Olivia looks adorable all dressed up for the show.
It was fun and we always like to get dressed up for the theater so wanted to make that part of the experience for her

Quote:
Originally Posted by missangelalexis View Post
Congrats on getting your AP band!

Awesome that you will be seeing Disney Jr live!

I'm glad you enjoyed Aladdin! Sounds like it was a really fun day for the 3 of you
Thank you! Definitely cool to have though I still need to link it to my account (I think) so I can start testing out FP+ bookings

Hoping the Disney Jr. Live goes well and the kids enjoy it. I think they should, but we shall see.

Definitely had a fun day ... other than the bad rain getting back to the train station

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
It sounds like a lovely day with Olivia, except for the rain.

One of these days I will get to New York and see a Broadway show.
That about sums it up - great day, other than the rain

Hope you do get to Broadway at some point, it definitely is an experience. I tend to think I haven't fully taken advantage of having lived so close me whole life, but looking back I did get to see some good stuff, including Rent with the original cast (that included Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs) and also Wicked with the original cast (that included Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth)

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #63
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Wowwwww! I want to see that show so much, thank you for your review! Very detailed. It sounds like a great show for sure (although I understand what you're saying about the ending, that's too bad.)

And, returning to an earlier post I'd missed, YAYY for AP magic bands!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #64
amberg93
DIS Veteran

I got my AP magic band too! Only now I'm in a bit of a bind because we've already connected all our FP+ ressies to the bands that we were getting for staying on site? So I have no clue what's going to happen. I guess they could just not give us the others or whatever but I kinda want the others. I got a different color each time because Marie and I wanted to own all the colors :P

And sounds like you had a great time seeing Aladdin! I'd love to see a Disney show on Broadway but for one thing, I don't live anywhere near NYC and for another, I'm going to be starting school soon so money will have to be responsible lol

November 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter "Fine! We can go to Disney, but I'm not happy about it!" First Trip + MVMCP
October 2013 - All Star Music PTR "It's So Much Fun Not Knowing Where We're Goin" Post-Chemo + MNSSHP
May 2014 - All Star Sports PTR "I bet they get Charmin" Girls Trip **In progress**
September 2014 - All Star Movies + Port Orleans French Quarter
amberg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #65
khaleesi
Life is a Special Occasion

So glad you included the Aladdin review!!! Sounds like a great time and Olivia is just so cute. What a fun day! (Minus the rain, of course.)

I'm sure it will be years before it gets here... we just got Rock of Ages last year. I think it's awesome that a lot of these shows do the touring shows so people outside of NYC can see them. Even though a trip to NYC is on my teacup list, I doubt that I'll actually ever make it to Broadway.

Trying hard to figure out a way to get to The World in December 2015. Stay tuned!

Love and pixie dust,
Sue
khaleesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #66
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Wowwwww! I want to see that show so much, thank you for your review! Very detailed. It sounds like a great show for sure (although I understand what you're saying about the ending, that's too bad.)

And, returning to an earlier post I'd missed, YAYY for AP magic bands!
Your welcome, glad you enjoyed the review. And the ending definitely wasn't bad, just didn't build to a huge ending

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberg93 View Post
I got my AP magic band too! Only now I'm in a bit of a bind because we've already connected all our FP+ ressies to the bands that we were getting for staying on site? So I have no clue what's going to happen. I guess they could just not give us the others or whatever but I kinda want the others. I got a different color each time because Marie and I wanted to own all the colors :P
yeah for Mickey Mail! Yeah, I am with you - not really sure how having multiple bands works. I still have my trip band connected to that reservation, so not really sure how to handle the AP band.

Owning all the colors - definitely good to have goals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberg93 View Post
And sounds like you had a great time seeing Aladdin! I'd love to see a Disney show on Broadway but for one thing, I don't live anywhere near NYC and for another, I'm going to be starting school soon so money will have to be responsible lol
We did have a great time! Hopefully you do get to Broadway at some point. Definitely not the cheapest of outings but something to definitely do at least once. Plus there are other things to do in NYC if you ever make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaleesi View Post
So glad you included the Aladdin review!!! Sounds like a great time and Olivia is just so cute. What a fun day! (Minus the rain, of course.)

I'm sure it will be years before it gets here... we just got Rock of Ages last year. I think it's awesome that a lot of these shows do the touring shows so people outside of NYC can see them. Even though a trip to NYC is on my teacup list, I doubt that I'll actually ever make it to Broadway.
Thank you - we did have a good time, the the rain was a bummer and I even got sick the next day (which may just be due to a bug going around, but I'm sure the rain didn't help).

I could definitely see them doing Aladdin as a touring show int he future. I think they had a form of it playing in Seattle and the Broadway show ran in Toronto before coming to Broadway so I figure it can travel to some extent.

Definitely hope you get to NYC at some point - so much to see and do. Plus, if you aren't picky about which show to see, there are tons of ways to get reasonably priced tickets to various shows that are playing.

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #67
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

What a great way to celebrate your birthday! Sounds like a great production and I loved your observations of the main character's performances. I can't help but think of the Disney's California Adventure Hyperion Theater version of Aladdin. The best parts are watching the interaction with Genie and the audience. Hilarious. I'm glad to see that the Broadway version is so immersive for the audience with the sets and all.

And... how exciting that you received your AP magic band. I'm beginning to doubt Disney remembers that I have a trip coming up and I NEED my MB! If that's my only problem in life, I don't have too many worries.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #68
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
What a great way to celebrate your birthday! Sounds like a great production and I loved your observations of the main character's performances. I can't help but think of the Disney's California Adventure Hyperion Theater version of Aladdin. The best parts are watching the interaction with Genie and the audience. Hilarious. I'm glad to see that the Broadway version is so immersive for the audience with the sets and all.

And... how exciting that you received your AP magic band. I'm beginning to doubt Disney remembers that I have a trip coming up and I NEED my MB! If that's my only problem in life, I don't have too many worries.

It was a great Birthday celebration. You are spot on in relating this to the California Adventure version in that some of the best parts are the Genie relating to the audience. In one part he actually throws a cover over Aladdin and starts to sing parts of other Disney songs, including from Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid.

I suppose worrying about getting a MB for an upcoming Disney trip would qualify as a first world problem. Also, I am still totally at a loss if you are able to reuse MB from past trips or how having a passholder MB and a on-site trip MB overlap/interract/etc.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #69
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

Wonderful Aladdin update!! Sounds like such a wonderful day, and so nice to give you guys some alone time with Olivia. So nice you have the ability to go to the city for the day!

I looked up Disney Jr. Live on Stage because somehow I've totally missed that was coming...only to find out that it will be in Boston May 2-5 - exactly when we are at Disneyland. We could either drive 2.5 hours in either direction (Bridgeport, CT or Portland, ME) but that isn't very doable with our dogs and all that. Sooo I guess we will miss this round! Have a great time!

And...happy birthday!!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #70
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineer5 View Post
Wonderful Aladdin update!! Sounds like such a wonderful day, and so nice to give you guys some alone time with Olivia. So nice you have the ability to go to the city for the day!

I looked up Disney Jr. Live on Stage because somehow I've totally missed that was coming...only to find out that it will be in Boston May 2-5 - exactly when we are at Disneyland. We could either drive 2.5 hours in either direction (Bridgeport, CT or Portland, ME) but that isn't very doable with our dogs and all that. Sooo I guess we will miss this round! Have a great time!

And...happy birthday!!
Thanks - it was a fund day, other than that rain!

Bummer that you will miss Disney Jr. Live ... I'll post a bit of a review after we go

And thanks! Though, my birthday was back in February but I decided on getting tickets to this instead of a party or anything ... though my wife did surprise me with a certificate she made up good for "one homebrewing piece of equipment that will be accompanied by not complaining or eye-rolling from her"

Old 04-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #71
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Pre Trip Report: Part 9 - Park Touring Schedule and Initial Fastpass + thoughts

Pre Trip Report: Part 9 - Park Touring Schedule and Initial Fastpass + thoughts ... all subject to change ;o)

Now that I have an active Passholder Magic Band I have played around a bit in setting up FP+ and have some thoughts on what we should book ...

... of course this is all new thinking as the recent announced change allowing a "rolling 4th FP+" as well as park hopping changes some of my initial thoughts.

Definitely hoping people can comment on my thoughts - this is our first time with MB and using FP+ so feeling a bit unsure of everything. We still have a little time before our 60-day window opens but I am sure it will be here before I know it.

note: will use some stock photos or animated gifs just to break up the text

Monday, August 25th - arrival day
  • We will be driving up from Boca and I hope to get to POR around lunch time
  • Hoping our room will be ready early, but understand not likely. If not will leave car mostly packed and find somewhere to rest
  • Get lunch, probably just at the Riverside Mill Food Court ... though if we are running late we might stop for food before getting to Disney World
  • Head to MGM Studios (still can't call in DHS) late afternoon, early evening. There are EMH that night and, assuming we can get a rest/naps in beforehand, hoping to be able to get in a number of attractions later in the evening - but will obviously play it by ear
  • Dinner scheduled at the Hollywood Brown Derby at 5:10 as part of the Fantasmic! dinner package
  • Fastpass Plus thoughts:
  • Toy Story Mania - this is a definite
  • Star Tours - might not need this, but I like it and Olivia liked it last time, though not sure if Judi will be able to go on this
  • Tower of Terror - one of my favorites and kinda trying to get Olivia to go. Again, not sure if Judi will be able to do it
  • other thoughts: Figure I will just do single rider line for RNRC. Not sure if it is worth it for any of the shows, and we have the Dining Package seats for Fantasmic! anyway. (Show is at 8:30pm that night)

Tuesday, August 26th
  • We will be going to Animal Kingdom this day - rated as best park to visit
  • Pre-park opening ADR at Tusker House @ 8:20am
  • For lunch probably just do counter service - either in AK (Yak & Yeti or Flame Tree) or back at resort or somewhere else, play it by ear
  • Rest at the resort in the afternoon - probably take kids to pool
  • Dinner at 'Ohana @5:20 pm. (hoping the "rumored" changes to menu we like)
  • Depending on how we are doing, may try to stay out (monorail resort hoping, etc.) and then watch Wishes from Polly beach, but another thing we will play by ear.
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris - definitely a ride we will do
  • Kali River Rapids - This was one of Olivia's favorite rides last trip, plus probably will be hot
  • Festival of the Lion King - depending on how the new theater works, not sure how useful this will be
  • other thoughts: Plan to use single-rider line at Everest, that has always worked for us and no way we can go together anyway. Though, if Olivia is up for it, we would then book a FP+ for this OR just go first thing standby, depending on how she is feeling.

Wednesday, August 27th
  • We will be going to Magic Kingdom this day - again, rated best park to visit
  • Breakfast is another pre-park opening ADR, this time at Cinderella's Royal Table @ 8:30am (first time for us *squee!*)
  • I've been trying to get a BOG ADR for dinner that night, but no luck yet. Back-up will be trying for a lunch fast pass reservation.
  • Also is a potential DIS meet this day, but we shall see
  • Will take a break (leaving either before or right after lunch) back at resort and then return to MK earning evening ... exact time we will be flexible
  • Have the Wishes! Dessert Party @ Tomorrowland Terrace booked that evening @ 8:05. Will be new for us so excited to try it, plus figured would be easier to have a spot set with (hopefully) a little extra room for watching Wishes with the 3 kids
  • 7 Dwarfs Mine Train - definitely want to get on this, but will wait and see what thoughts are if FP+ for this is worth it after it opens
  • Anna & Elsa M&G - Will be waking up at midnight 60 days out for this one as I don't want to wait un 4 hour line to meet them
  • Peter Pan - This was closed our last trip so we want to ensure we get on it this time
  • other thoughts: This is one park where I feel like we could use FP+ the most. But, with now having a 5th park day we will probably book/plan to hit up things we weren't able to this day. Other thoughts are the Mountains and maybe for the Festival of Fantasy parade depending on if that is viewed as a good use by people.

*HELP!* So one thing I am a bit concerned about/unsure how to plan is getting to see the new Festival of Fantasy Parade. We definitely want to see and the kids have loved watching it online, BUT I would think 3pm would be right in the middle of our break. Thinking maybe, since we will be there early, to take an earlier break and then get back in time for the parade, possibly taking a second break before returning for Wishes or maybe just brining Olivia back for the parade if Peter is napping, etc.

Thursday, August 28th
  • We will be going to EPCOT this day - again, rated best park to visit
  • No breakfast ADR (thinking might have late night the night before, and sleeping in one night might be good) - instead, plan to go to Sunshine Seasons for late breakfast/early lunch
  • Plan to take a mid-day break
  • Return for dinner - have an ADR at Garden Grill for 6:35pm. This is a new restaurant for us and I do see mixed reviews of the food, but our kids love, love Living with the Land and I think the concept of a rotating restaurant and seeing Mickey in Farmer clothes, etc. I think they will love it.
  • Then find spot for Illuminations
  • Soarin' - We didn't get to ride this last trip (line was too long and/or all FP-s were gone) so want to make sure we get on this time
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Character Spot / Turtle Talk / Living with the Land
  • other thoughts: Honestly, beyond Soarin' not sure what we will get for this one. Guess I will need to check what is crowded that time of year. Would probably do the Illuminations spot, but is also a Tier 1 (maybe use rotating 4th one for this?

Friday, August 29th - Leaving Day
  • This is our last day - exact timing is still pending as we haven't booked flights yet, but hoping for something that leaves ~5pm
  • We were originally just thinking of going to the parks 4 days, but since we got that extra day on our tickets we plan to go the morning of this day
  • Plan it to go and do what we didn't get to that we want ... most likely this will be Magic Kingdom so that is what I will plan for
  • As of now, no dining ADRs made
  • Fastpass Plus thoughts: (assuming it is MK)
  • Anna & Elsa - thinking will book it again thinking a) Olivia might want to meet them again or b) goodness forbid something happens and we aren't able to do this the first day
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle - we didn't do this last time and would like to do it once, but depends how Olivia is feeling
  • Jungle Cruise - one of my favorites and last time we were there line built up pretty good so will want to ensure we get on it
  • other thoughts: Obviously a lot depends what we get done on the first MK day but thinking set FP+ things I want to make sure we can get on in case we miss it first day via standby

Ok - so this is a super long post, but helped me to document it a bit what I am thinking .... and totally want any thoughts other have about things that seem like bad ideas or things that you think we should perhaps make a higher priority for FP+, etc.

TTFN

Old 04-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #72
annie170
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a fun trip, Phil!

Do you have any grandparents accompanying you this trip or is it just you and Judi and the three kids? You two are quite brave with these plans in the August heat with a newborn! I hope the crowds will be light for you.
annie170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #73
Disney Khaleesi
Old member, new name

Popping in to say hi! I was a lurker on your last TR and will probably return to lurkdom after this post. I have to leave in about 4 hours to head to the airport for our trip, and I can never sleep before a vacation! So I've been scouring the boards for TR's and PTR's to read. I happened upon yours!

First off, belated congrats on the new little Princess, Peter's going to be outnumbered! The plans for your upcoming trip sound AWESOME. You actually leave on the day of my 16th birthday! I look forward to hearing about how the wait goes from here on out!
Dad Me(16) Kitty #1 Kitty #2

Walt Disney World: 2001, 2003, 2013, 2014
Disneyland: 2009
Universal Orlando: 2013
Disney Khaleesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #74
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad they announced the additional FP and park hopper options! I haven't used the new system much, (twice) but for the most part I think your plans look great!
I've heard that the FP+ doesn't get you much for Fantasmic anyway, so I'm sure you're better off with the dinner package.
For me personally, I don't think I'd use a FP for FOTLK. Of course, like you say it's hard to tell what the new theatre will bring, but there wasn't really a bad place to sit in the old one, so I usually just walked in last minute. Although that doesn't work if you want front row.
I love the Wishes dessert party!
I'm afraid I don't know much about naps, can't help much with your parade conundrum!
I think your plans and FP+ look really good!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #75
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie170 View Post
Sounds like a fun trip, Phil!

Do you have any grandparents accompanying you this trip or is it just you and Judi and the three kids? You two are quite brave with these plans in the August heat with a newborn! I hope the crowds will be light for you.
Thanks - I hope it will be a fun trip

We don't have anyone coming with us for the Disney portion (we will be visiting family in Florida before getting to The World. One of the main reasons we are planning big time breaks in the middle of the day and treating this like a "bonus" trip - if we don't get to something, oh well. Definitely a bit worried about the head and can also see some times when Judi stays back with Emma and I attempt to survive bringing the other kids to the park, for at least part of the day.

I am hopeful crowds won't be too bad, but we shall see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Khaleesi View Post
Popping in to say hi! I was a lurker on your last TR and will probably return to lurkdom after this post. I have to leave in about 4 hours to head to the airport for our trip, and I can never sleep before a vacation! So I've been scouring the boards for TR's and PTR's to read. I happened upon yours!
Thanks for coming out of lurkerdom - feel free to stay out if you wish but understand why lurking can work best. Hope you enjoy your trip and if any of my reports even help 1 tiny bit, I am happy about that! Let us know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Khaleesi View Post
First off, belated congrats on the new little Princess, Peter's going to be outnumbered! The plans for your upcoming trip sound AWESOME. You actually leave on the day of my 16th birthday! I look forward to hearing about how the wait goes from here on out!
Thank you - and yes, Peter will be outnumbered, and considering he already winds up dressed up in princess gear as it is, things don't bode too well for him

Might bit a bit distracted by things, but I will try to remember to sing Happy Birthday when we leave just to confuse everyone. Actually, Judi's Birthday is August 21st so it fits with that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
I'm so glad they announced the additional FP and park hopper options! I haven't used the new system much, (twice) but for the most part I think your plans look great!
I've heard that the FP+ doesn't get you much for Fantasmic anyway, so I'm sure you're better off with the dinner package.
For me personally, I don't think I'd use a FP for FOTLK. Of course, like you say it's hard to tell what the new theatre will bring, but there wasn't really a bad place to sit in the old one, so I usually just walked in last minute. Although that doesn't work if you want front row.
I love the Wishes dessert party!
I'm afraid I don't know much about naps, can't help much with your parade conundrum!
I think your plans and FP+ look really good!
The thing I was most happy about with the announced changes is that it makes it clear they are listening and open to making changes to the system so I am sure further changes will come and, hopefully, in the end a really good system that works for most people with be there

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my plans. I heard the FP+ for Fantasmic! doesn't get you a great spot so that is another reason we did the dining package ... plus we needed somewhere to eat that night and we have never done the HBD before. Plus that will turn out to be one of the "nice" meals for this trip so all in all I think it worked out.

Definitely agree at the FP+ for FOTLK not being the best use but part of it is that I am not sure what else we will use it for and thought that might, at least, save us a little wait time. If Olivia is interested in EE I bet we will wind up using it for that instead.

Thanks again!

BTW - a full review of Disney Jr Live - Pirate and Princess Adventure will be coming soon ... just have to get the pictures uploaded from our various phones. It was a really cute show and the kids had an absolute blast so was totally worth it!

TTFN

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: