Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
jackrabbitsden
Earning My Ears

Rest locations for big crawlers in the parks?

My 14 year old son is blind/deaf and cannot walk so he is confined to a wheelchair. During the course of a normal day at home/school he has opportunities to get out of his chair and crawl around but when our family visits the parks at Disney World he ends up remaining in his chair all day long. We have another Disney World trip coming up at the end of October and this time we are wanting to be more intentional about finding opportunities for him to get down out of his wheelchair and exercise his joints and muscles throughout the day. He doesn't need a ton of time out of the chair--just a few minutes here and there--so dragging the entire family out of the park and back to the resort for a few minutes of floor-time isn't entirely practical.

I'm wondering if anyone can think of areas in any of the four parks where we could let him get down and crawl around and "stretch his legs." It could be anything from an out-of-the-way grassy area to an indoor lounge. We would be grateful for any ideas!

Last edited by jackrabbitsden; 09-15-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
jackrabbitsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

what about Rafiki's Planet watch in AK? very quiet area.

I will be there Friday through Monday next and I can keep an eye out for spots that aren't going to be in the middle of everything or overrun with toddlers blowing off steam.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Would any of the first aid areas work?

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
geek+nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Mommee
DIS Veteran

The baby care centers? My youngest is 7 now but if I remember right there was some open areas in some of those. Though I don't remember what type of flooring. ..
Mommee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
ladyjubilee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbitsden View Post
My 14 year old son is blind/deaf and cannot walk so he is confined to a wheelchair. During the course of a normal day at home/school he has opportunities to get out of his chair and crawl around but when our family visits the parks at Disney World he ends up remaining in his chair all day long. We have another Disney World trip coming up at the end of October and this time we are wanting to be more intentional about finding opportunities for him to get down out of his wheelchair and exercise his joints and muscles throughout the day. He doesn't need a ton of time out of the chair--just a few minutes here and there--so dragging the entire family out of the park and back to the resort for a few minutes of floor-time isn't entirely practical.

I'm wondering if anyone can think of areas in any of the four parks where we could let him get down and crawl around and "stretch his legs." It could be anything from an out-of-the-way grassy area to an indoor lounge. We would be grateful for any ideas!

I'm pretty lazy, so I plop down just about everywhere and its been a few years since we were there..... anyhow, there were some nice 'cobblestones' on the side street where the opera lesson windows and sorcerers game. It was traffic free when we were there and several different textures in one small area.

. My son crushed leaves with a CM at the Merida meet and greet. They sat in the dirt just off to the side, not in anyone's way.

The water fountains in Morocco were a nice break area too. My son enjoyed the texture of the water and the coolness of the tiles.

The manatee exhibit-a little off to the side.

Oh what about the open air buildings in Asia at AK. The cool marble is a need sensation.

We also found that few folks go look at the fish at AK. We spent a lot of tome just sitting there watching the fish, sifting dirt and crushing leaves on the ground.

Also at AK we say sifting sand on the ground, though I can't remember exactly where at, I do remember being near a bridge.

I haven't been to Tom Sayers island but I would think that would have space too.
ladyjubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Animal Kingdom - the bone yard play area, but I'm not sure if you can get across to the sand area on the other side?

Magic Kingdom - adventureland had an area down by jungle cruise that was pretty open, but it was all paved.

EPCOT - grassy area behind innoventions - back exit headed towards the land pavilion near club cool.

HS - the backlot streets have some open areas, but not any grass. It's tough to be a bug play area may work though?

Be careful of biting ants and ground dwelling yellow jackets, as well as poisonous snakes in the bushes. Most of the grassy areas, if not fenced off, should be ok, but I don't know what type of pesticides they spray. Make sure to wash off hands after they touch the grass.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Also, at MK, or outside of MK, is that long walkway towards Grand Floridian that goes to a certain point and stops - not sure if the walkway is fenced, may be grassy areas over there?
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
jackrabbitsden
Earning My Ears

These are all great suggestions! You all are helping me think outside of the box!
jackrabbitsden is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: