Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 01:23 AM   #76
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Robert and I decided it wasn't a good idea, even though the Mercer medal is cute (I hadn't signed up for it). E got invited to his first ever sleepover for Saturday, and it's R's birthday weekend, and we only have the one car...and I figure E will need to be picked up at some point Sunday morning, so it's just not a good idea. Oh well! I'll have to use a different timeframe for the Half Fanatics base level membership.

I have a small problem with doing things just because I feel I should do them. And finishing them just because I started them. Not because I necessary WANT to do them, but because it's there. So...Half Fanatics exists, if I could get in another half by April 11 I could join (3 Halfs in 90 days, the first being WDW Half of course), therefore I want to do that. I don't wanna wait and do it later, I wanna do it NOW. I'm very much Veruca Salt in my head when it comes to things like this.

The above is the reason why I didn't transfer from my stupidly expensive private undergrad even when all of my original friends did just that, and it's why I finished chiropractic school when I had no place doing something that would require me to be in solo practice and in charge of other peoples' health! I started, so I finished.

Silly.
I think deciding against it makes perfect sense! However... I do soooo get the "just because" attitude. Have you been to my PTR this evening? OMG! I am nutty. When Dh had chose donald for 2014 I was fine as long as I got PHM 2015... well he wanted donald again but wasn't opposed to phm as well... so I planned. When I wrote my list of races...I included it. Now it is time to book at the 11 month window and I am second guessing. I wonder if I really want to/have to.. and if it makes sense with everything else going on. I feel like I have a goal and I need to follow through. I said I would be doing it and so I will... I definitely fall into that "I started, so I finished" category.

I admire you for seeing the bigger picture and deciding against the mercer.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:05 AM   #77
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the admiration for me not being crazy.

So I finished the Universal report that I'm pretty sure I linked to (but if not there it is again), and now I'm working on the cruise.
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #78
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

So I think I mentioned over in the Universal report that on our last (I believe) full day pre-cruise, we got an urge to head to WDW. Since we had the APs that was easy enough, and we went to MK.

We saw Monsters Incorportate Laugh Floor and had a great time. Rode Buzz.

This was the progress on the mine train ride at that time.

Finally got on Haunted Mansion, went on Pirates. Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Treehouse.

Had ONE LaFou's Brew to share, along with some hummus and chips sitting outside Gaston's.

This does not look right.

This is pretty.

This makes me laugh b/c it's like the castle is a popping machine, and then I picture someone rolling it around like those little things that people get for their toddlers. (poor Eamon, he never had one)

A bit after the hummus we went to Columbia Harbour House for the Lighthouse sandwich goodness.

Blurry goodbye!

So we pretty much hit the highlights as a way to say "bye bye annual passes!"

And then we went on the cruise the next day.
And then we were set to fly out the same day we disembarked.

But...I will be back here with one more bit of the story when I'm ready to do that. Ooh, mysterious. (unless you read any of my many other posts, especially on the Transportation board, about us taking a bump from our scheduled flight LOL)

Last edited by bumbershoot; 03-30-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #79
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Your last day sounds like a great "good bye" And that sky!!! So nice. It was so cold and rainy so much...

Thanks for posting the links to your other reports for this trip. I can hop over there now...
Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #80
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Hi again!

So if you've been following along in my dreadfully delayed cruise report, you know I've sent you back over here.

Our plans had been to take our hired car&driver and go to the airport, and catch a flight home and that was the end of the story!

But it wasn't. Robert knew when our flight home was. When I made the arrangements months and months before, he was not perturbed. Then the questions started. The what ifs. What if Seattle does well? What if they really do it? But as a long-time fan of the Seahawks, he of course knew it wouldn't happen. And then...it started to happen. He got more upset by the timing of the flight home. We were flying on miles, we could have changed it. But he said no. He had to get to work on Monday.

We were going from Orlando up to Newark of all places. Layover, then boarding the plane BEFORE kickoff. Landing in Seattle long after it could have possibly finished. (it's American football after all, not football-football)

Then we all realized that they were going all the way. This was soooo not good. He still had to be at work the next day. I'm not sure he actually talked with his boss about it, but that's how Robert felt.

We did a big switcheroo of our stuff before checking it in. Put toiletries, nightclothes, just about everything into our checked bags. Checked them. Went through security and the usual MCO TSA nonsense, got some leisurely breakfast after security. Slowly made our way to the gate, so early because we had been off the ship and picked up so early.

As time went on the gate area filled up. And filled. And, wow, filled some more.

Robert had been in line because they had split us up, and he was trying to get us all back together again. It's not a requirement for us, but hey, might as well see if it's possible. He was getting it worked out and was walking from the long line at the gate counter.

Then they made an announcement.

They were overbooked by 9 people. They needed 9 volunteers. $300 vouchers for each, a hotel, and some money for food.

Robert and I looked at each other. It was obvious what the universe was telling him.

He didn't even get back in line. He went straight up to the counter and volunteered us. (by the way, that seems to be the right thing to do in such a situation...don't wait in line behind people who are in line for other reasons...you'll just miss the opportunity)

He got us on the list.

And, eventually, after a long long long wait, it was finalized. We were taking a bump. By the time it was final for us, they had upped the ante to $400 each. Robert asked about that, and so they gave us an extra $300 certificate. The money for food isn't much at all. But hey, we would have to pay for food anyway on the plane and at home, right? Couldn't get into the Hyatt, but got the Doubletree which was nice.

Once that was all arranged, we headed out to the Doubletree's shuttle. And realized that I was dressed really really wrong for Orlando. And? They hadn't been able to get our bags off the plane.

Got there, got checked in. had a bit of a wait for a room, but they thought Eamon was sweet so they gave us extra Doubletree cookies. Robert scoped out the TV situation while we had some lunch (getting everything finalized took quite awhile, especially because there were some yelling people delaying everything...none of those yellers came to thank us for letting them have their spots, of course, but whatever...anyway, it was already lunch-ish time)

Talked about what we were going to do. The guys definitely wanted to watch some football and were already making plans for the BIG TV down in the public part of the lobby.

I figured....hey, I have an AP. Epcot is calling. got on the computer, arranged for a rental car and some last minute FPs. Took the shuttle right back to the airport, got a car (adorable teensy little Festiva or Fiesta), headed to Epcot.

Did some shopping because I was wearing a long sleeved shirt and was broiling! Cute Mickey short sleeved shirt was now mine.

I wandered. I realized that the FPs I had arranged were all wrong. You don't need one for Figment, but there was nothing I could swap out for it. Too long a wait for my Soarin' FP+ and I couldn't change it, either. Can't remember the other thing I had FP+ed (WDW is causing horrendous abbreviation grammar), but by then I had lost all interest.

That helped me lose interest.

It's a Unibroue Cherry Éphémère, and it was delicious. I had no idea you could get it in a souvenir glass, but the man in front of me had ordered it so I did, too. SO good.

I sipped and wandered and chatted with CMs. Bought a pair of earrings made from recycled park paper, and talked with the CM for ages. Learned all about her job and working there and the jewelry made from the park paper and how it's done. It was very cool.

Talked with a DVC lady, talked later with a DVC guy.

Didn't ride anything! Just wandered, sipped, and chatted.

Saw lots of people in Seahawks gear. Not sure if they looked miserable or not. Not sure why they were at Epcot, decked out, while the game was going on. Seemed to me that if you were a fan enough to wear the clothes, you should be watching the game somewhere. But what do I know? I'm not a "sports fan". It might be a thing, to torment yourself. Like Robert tried to do by not letting me change the flight.

Funny how work could fend for itself, the moment they needed volunteers, eh?

As my evening drew to a close, I realized we had nothing that we needed. I had to make a run to Target. And I did so. Had 15 minutes to shop before it closed. Soft shorts for E to sleep in. Extra unders for the guys. I can't remember what I got for me. Toothbrushes, etc etc. Basically everything we had so brilliantly stuck in the to-be-checked bags 5 minutes before checking them...

Got back to the hotel, they were on cloud nine... By this time the flights had started to get changed around because of weather or something like that, so we went through some issues getting onto a plane, but ultimately we did on the 3rd because we're here.

I managed to get to sit in 1st because we had been split up again, Robert had been upgraded, and he was supersweet and let me sit in his seat. Met the coolest retired gentleman on the way home, had a great conversation about everything. Sat in a comfy seat.

And best of all, I took this picture in Epcot, which pretty much sums up my life. (especially my attitude towards the 4th of July this year)

And THAT was the end of our Jan/Feb WDW/Universal/Cruise/sickerthansick trip!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #81
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Ok, so HAVING to be bumped is not a lot of fun...but choosing to and getting the voucher and hotel... and getting to on a "whim" spend the day alone in Epcot. OMG! I think that sounds like heaven.

What exactly is that drink? A beer? I may have to try that in the fall.

Love the shirt, btw! "too many happy people".

Oh and on the first class seat!
Old 07-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #82
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Ok, so HAVING to be bumped is not a lot of fun...but choosing to and getting the voucher and hotel... and getting to on a "whim" spend the day alone in Epcot. OMG! I think that sounds like heaven.

What exactly is that drink? A beer? I may have to try that in the fall.

Love the shirt, btw! "too many happy people".

Oh and on the first class seat!
It was definitely a good day. The only bad part of it was not getting our bags off the plane and not quite getting enough sleep.

It's a beer and it's delicious. Got it at the kiosk in Canada.

As you can see by the name it has cherry involved somehow; have you ever been to a McMenamins restaurant/brewpub here? They have one in Mill Creek, a few in Seattle, then Centralia and Olympia, and a gazillion in the general Portland area. If so, and if you've had a Ruby Ale, it's like that, though with cherry instead of raspberry. Or if you've had a McMenamins Purple Haze, that's made with either marionberries or huckleberries...same idea. And I got it in the big ol' souvenir mug, too. Big beer. Big strong beer.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:04 AM   #83
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I keep forgetting. While leaving St Maarten, we stopped at the Guavaberry Rum place. Figured that it's the only place to get it, so why not? (meanwhile, I have a bottle of vodka from 13 years ago that's still half full, I have a normal rum that's had one jigger taken from it, etc...just not big drinkers around here) Royal takes it from you when you get back onboard, but gives it back the last night so you can pack it. I put it in a checked bag, with padding around it and all. Since we didn't expect to get it, I hadn't brought a "wine diaper".

So when we couldn't get our bags off the plane and I knew it was going to sit all night at Seatac waiting for us, oh I was so worried!

When we finally landed at Seatac and went to find our bags, they were out in the open, but all locked together with a bunch of other bags. Kind of genius. The first thing I did was look on the ground around the bag it was in, to see if it was oozing purple booze. Thankfully it was not, the bottle was fine!

DH and DS went to get our car from the offsite lot while I waited in the cold. But because we were flying home (through Newark, even!) the day after the superbowl, we had journalists and photographers and all those sorts of people who had been at The Game, all onboard. Some with their HUGE cameras. Saw one lady, not an anchor, in her bright yellow jacket from komo or king or whatever.

And along with them being all around in the airport and outside, I ended up being in the midst of a bunch of SeaGals. (I felt a little old and schlumpy around them, but that's OK...I've since found out how very little they make and how hard they work, so I'll let them be cuter than me, LOL)

Felt kinda bad that it was me waiting there, and not my American Football* fans!

(*since we were in England and Ireland towards the beginning of the World Cup, and since I managed to watch a bit of the Portugal/US game on the flight home from there last month and rather enjoyed aspects of the game, I now must specify "football" vs "American football".)
Old 07-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #84
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It was definitely a good day. The only bad part of it was not getting our bags off the plane and not quite getting enough sleep.

It's a beer and it's delicious. Got it at the kiosk in Canada.

As you can see by the name it has cherry involved somehow; have you ever been to a McMenamins restaurant/brewpub here? They have one in Mill Creek, a few in Seattle, then Centralia and Olympia, and a gazillion in the general Portland area. If so, and if you've had a Ruby Ale, it's like that, though with cherry instead of raspberry. Or if you've had a McMenamins Purple Haze, that's made with either marionberries or huckleberries...same idea. And I got it in the big ol' souvenir mug, too. Big beer. Big strong beer.

Ok, so that sounds slightly amazing and I now have to figure out when I am going to be able to go and try one! YUM

Quote:
I keep forgetting. While leaving St Maarten, we stopped at the Guavaberry Rum place. Figured that it's the only place to get it, so why not? (meanwhile, I have a bottle of vodka from 13 years ago that's still half full, I have a normal rum that's had one jigger taken from it, etc...just not big drinkers around here) Royal takes it from you when you get back onboard, but gives it back the last night so you can pack it. I put it in a checked bag, with padding around it and all. Since we didn't expect to get it, I hadn't brought a "wine diaper".

So when we couldn't get our bags off the plane and I knew it was going to sit all night at Seatac waiting for us, oh I was so worried!

When we finally landed at Seatac and went to find our bags, they were out in the open, but all locked together with a bunch of other bags. Kind of genius. The first thing I did was look on the ground around the bag it was in, to see if it was oozing purple booze. Thankfully it was not, the bottle was fine!
I am so glad it was fin@

Quote:
I
And along with them being all around in the airport and outside, I ended up being in the midst of a bunch of SeaGals. (I felt a little old and schlumpy around them, but that's OK...I've since found out how very little they make and how hard they work, so I'll let them be cuter than me, LOL)

Felt kinda bad that it was me waiting there, and not my American Football* fans!
Yeah, I guess they can be cute (right now) I mean seriously how are they gonna look in 20 years?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: