Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #31
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

January 6 continued

Just a few pix. Animal Kingdom. Weird short day after swimming. The day did nothing but get colder and colder. High 79 (which lasted for maybe an hour), low 44, remember. Shiver.

The bunny was wild, and was in the Flamingo enclosure. Which had far more ibises in it than flamingos.

And then when you looked further back...

Kangaroos and a wild turkey vulture. He's the black shadow shape closer to the camera than the kangaroos, sitting on that long horizontal piece of wood.

The bunny was between them and the flamingo/ibis water. We just couldn't figure out how the bunny felt so safe, but the CM told us that turkey vultures ONLY eat already-dead things.

Ibises.

Later on, a whole flock of ibises went overhead as we crossed the bridge, and settled in the trees.

They look especially weird as the sun sets even lower. Just blobs of white in the gloom.

The crocodile (not alligator) they have at AK. We actually saw him move this time. You have to pretend you're not watching him, kind of look out of the corner of your eye, and sometimes he'll do something.

I have a couple more pictures to show the gloomy day. Once we got warm after E's swim and my sitting there trying to find people who could help me, it was drive there, park 100 miles away, and take the tram which was empty and it was cold cold cold.

We tried to do some Wilderness Explorer things but each one was taking so long because we were moving slow, even my brain. We did the one in the Dig area, we rode Primeval Whirl, we took the pictures above and did another one or two WE booklet things. We went to our FP for the Safari.

We were on the Safari with some brilliant people who felt it was important to stand up while taking pictures. The driver would stop somewhere cool, say "there's no one behind us so we can stop for a minute, but you have to stay seated." She'd wait, then start saying "you have to sit down, you can't stand up, I'm going to have to drive again, OK I'm starting to drive." Over and over. At one point, maybe over the alligators or something similarly impressive, as she started to drive again she must have said "you're ruining it for everyone" ten times in a row. Those of us NOT standing up were pretty disappointed, and the CM was bummed for us. It was crazy.

Here in this pictures, there are two cheetahs. One is standing. That's amazing enough; I was starting to think they were plush toys, because they didn't move.

The other cheetah is running. Yep, running cheetah. Not visible. My camera missed him. But almost no one was paying attention to the plush cheetah toys becoming animatronic, due to the situation just feet away from the vehicle. On both sides.

(they wouldn't move. they were so huge. they could have squashed us. The CM seemed nervous. it was scary. and cold. because they wouldn't move, we couldn't move. eek.)

I don't remember lasting much longer. Neither of us could imagine being on EE when it was that chilly and breezy. We weren't hungry which was a bummer because I still haven't tried out that vegetarian kiosk. I figured that I'd have Tusker House for dinner the day before the Half so no biggie.

These pictures were taken on the way in but I don't think it matters. This is what the day looked and felt like.

Cold tram, back to the cold car. Went to Sweet Tomatoes where we had to convince ourselves to eat. Dark when we left. Stupid winter.

Back to:

Had to pack things up, get things ready. Watched more Stacey. Stacey always has fun and always has the perfect weather. Sigh. Wish we lived in Stacey's world. Went to shivery, icky-feeling, sleep.

Have nearly convinced myself that I do NOT need to do the Avengers thing. If I can't get YAM (Yet Another Medal) for doing two bicoastal sets of Halfs in one year, then why bother? And the *legacy* thing just means I have to keep on going. This is my trying-things-out time. I'm sure there will be future new races.

But I'm only *nearly* convinced.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #32
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

When I get into something, it's almost like I lose my mind. (My DH would leave out the almost.) You sound a lot like me. If I didn't have three other trips planned for this year, I would be doing the ToT 10 miler. Just because it sounds like fun.

Planning on doing the GSC next year and Jessica wants desperately to run also. So she and Molly are probably coming down at the same time. Molly is very sad that she'll be the only one without a race T shirt, but not sad enough to actually run and get one.
appleorchard is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #33
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

You went from 0-60 in nothing flat, when it comes to running! It's impressive.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 AM   #34
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

My friend signed up for the W&D! I'll have a traveling and running companion! I'm so excited! Can't stop using exclamation points!
Old 03-05-2014, 01:37 AM   #35
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I'm not sure about Avengers. I think even my sweet and kind and "do what makes you happy" DH is even wondering about my sanity. I mean, that's a lot of flights in just a few months.
Well, I am definitely in. Booked a room... but I do hear ya. That is a lot of flights in just a few months. I worried about it a bit to be honest with you. I know... maybe that is just weird of me. But I will be on a plan in August, September, October, November, January and February if all goes according to plan. That is a bit crazy... granted.. not each of those represents a round trip. (like I fly down to CA in August but back in September)

Quote:
I still have this report on my mind, just can't settle my mind enough. Scattered. But I did want to edit myself...we did make ONE of our reservations. I remembered yesterday. We did have breakfast at Kouzzina.
Is the breakfast at Kouzzina further into your trip? So you will report on it? I am curious what you thought...

Quote:
Just a few pix. Animal Kingdom. Weird short day after swimming. The day did nothing but get colder and colder. High 79 (which lasted for maybe an hour), low 44, remember. Shiver.
I like your AK pics!!! That temp difference made it hard that week. I am with you... shiver.

Quote:

They look especially weird as the sun sets even lower. Just blobs of white in the gloom.
I have seen that! It took us forever to figure out what it was we were seeing in the trees. It was odd.

Quote:
We tried to do some Wilderness Explorer things but each one was taking so long because we were moving slow, even my brain.
My girls did that. My oldest dd who is in school to become a teacher found it a lot of fun to "teach" her younger sister. Good sister time for sure.

Quote:
We were on the Safari with some brilliant people who felt it was important to stand up while taking pictures. The driver would stop somewhere cool, say "there's no one behind us so we can stop for a minute, but you have to stay seated." She'd wait, then start saying "you have to sit down, you can't stand up, I'm going to have to drive again, OK I'm starting to drive." Over and over. At one point, maybe over the alligators or something similarly impressive, as she started to drive again she must have said "you're ruining it for everyone" ten times in a row. Those of us NOT standing up were pretty disappointed, and the CM was bummed for us. It was crazy.
I am so sorry to hear that! I know that people tend to think they are on vacation so they are special... but man it sucks when they forget to realize we are ALL on vacation and trying to enjoy ourselves.

Quote:

(they wouldn't move. they were so huge. they could have squashed us. The CM seemed nervous. it was scary. and cold. because they wouldn't move, we couldn't move. eek.)
That sounds scary... but also sooo very cool!!!!

Quote:
Had to pack things up, get things ready. Watched more Stacey. Stacey always has fun and always has the perfect weather. Sigh. Wish we lived in Stacey's world. Went to shivery, icky-feeling, sleep.
I am sorry to giggle.... but yes. Stacey's world would have been nice and I know you were not feeling well... so that is cause for a lot of the icky feeling... but the weather just didn't help!!! I felt so cold and wet so much of the trip.

Quote:
Have nearly convinced myself that I do NOT need to do the Avengers thing. If I can't get YAM (Yet Another Medal) for doing two bicoastal sets of Halfs in one year, then why bother? And the *legacy* thing just means I have to keep on going. This is my trying-things-out time. I'm sure there will be future new races.

But I'm only *nearly* convinced.

Actually, the reasons you mention are probably the reasons we decided for. See... dh won't have already got his C2C... so this is his chance. AND Legacy is something then that he could get in on. If it were just me... neither of these two things would matter as much (because I will get my c2c at the dlh... and I am attempting legacy status for the ToT) Dh though... this gives him the opportunity. If you are like me though.. maybe you are more convinced to not go than undecided.

Quote:
My friend signed up for the W&D! I'll have a traveling and running companion! I'm so excited! Can't stop using exclamation points!
so cool!
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 AM   #36
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Kouzzina is the 7th, so yes I will talk about what I remember of it.

Just putting these down here b/c for some reason I can't comprehend it on the rundisney page:

All Star Movies Resort

All Star Music Resort

All Star Sports Resort

Beach Club Resort

BoardWalk Inn and Villas

Caribbean Beach Resort

Polynesian Resort

Pop Century Resort

Port Orleans Riverside,

Port Orleans French Quarter

Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa

Wilderness Lodge

Yacht Club Resort

OK so now I see that OKW is not on the list. And AKL but that's no biggie for me. No AOA but you can of course walk to Pop. Ooh WL. Ooh BW (like no one else is drooling over that and the ability to walk from the after-party).

I wrote to Acclaim Travel and they have no more 5K bibs for Disneyland Half. If they did, I would have bought 'em and I would have dropped Avengers from my thoughts. But they are out...

The kid would just love it SO much....
Old 03-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #37
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Kouzzina is the 7th, so yes I will talk about what I remember of it.

Just putting these down here b/c for some reason I can't comprehend it on the rundisney page:

All Star Movies Resort

All Star Music Resort

All Star Sports Resort

Beach Club Resort

BoardWalk Inn and Villas

Caribbean Beach Resort

Polynesian Resort

Pop Century Resort

Port Orleans Riverside,

Port Orleans French Quarter

Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa

Wilderness Lodge

Yacht Club Resort

OK so now I see that OKW is not on the list. And AKL but that's no biggie for me. No AOA but you can of course walk to Pop. Ooh WL. Ooh BW (like no one else is drooling over that and the ability to walk from the after-party).

I wrote to Acclaim Travel and they have no more 5K bibs for Disneyland Half. If they did, I would have bought 'em and I would have dropped Avengers from my thoughts. But they are out...

The kid would just love it SO much....
Wait...for what race? OKW is no longer on the list??

Edited... never mind... I figure it out. For Wine and Dine.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #38
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You went from 0-60 in nothing flat, when it comes to running! It's impressive.
I do this with everything-- it's how I stumble through life lol.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #39
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:55 AM   #40
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Wait...for what race? OKW is no longer on the list??

Edited... never mind... I figure it out. For Wine and Dine.
So sorry to scare you! I keep typing things out for you (like "let's meet up!"), then remember you're doing TOT...we're confusing each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleorchard View Post
I do this with everything-- it's how I stumble through life lol.
Hey, that's cool. With me it's usually avoidance due to fear of failing. That's no fun in the end. And here I've had two incredibly challenging rundisney races, but hey, I did 'em. I trained, I tried, I did. Slowly, but the importance of that is fading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Helloooooooooooooooooooooo. (that's the doppler effect as you do your drive-by)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #41
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So sorry to scare you! I keep typing things out for you (like "let's meet up!"), then remember you're doing TOT...we're confusing each other!
That is so funny! We both are getting confused at what race each has going on... We are both doing the dlh though right?
Old 03-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #42
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We ARE both doing Disneyland Half! Woo!

January 7?

Temperatures:

high of 49
low of 34

Holy heck.

Today was move to the Boardwalk day. Decided to book Kouzzina breakfast. Since we had the car we headed over as soon as we could. This day I did the heretofore unthinkable (for me) and left a bunch of stuff in the car. We had rented a Passat and it had a trunk, so I just left all the stuff in there. Took my rolling carryon (expensive hard-sided Disney one) and maybe E's carryon and left those with Bell Services and then went to check in.

Alas! I had NOT done the checkout process at Pop, and it wasn't yet 11. So our MagicBands were having issues, and it was going to take awhile to get us checked out from Boardwalk. This is a problem brand new with all the changes, and it did NOT enhance our stay.

Since it was taking awhile and we were running up to our ADR time, and since it was taking me a little extra time to go anywhere because my breathing wasn't fabulous and I was exhausted, we said we would come back later.

Went on outside, found Kouzzina.

It wasn't overly warm there.

Eamon ordered the "Stacked Kouzzina Breakfast - Two Poached Eggs, Kalamata Olive Toast, Artichoke Spread, and Sweet Potato Hash with choice of Bacon or Chicken Sausage".

Except that he got fruit instead of the meat. He was truly being brave that day, trying something with that description while knowing that I would NOT be eating it if he didn't like it.

And what we learned here is that the word "stacked" means "heaped on top of" and "very difficult to scrape artichoke spread off of poached eggs". Also known as "who the heck puts spread on TOP of poached eggs????"

The artichoke thing had a decent taste but awful texture for him. The eggs were good. The egg yolk going into SWEET potato hash, however, wasn't good. So he lost a lot of egg. (sorry for my vegan buddies here!) And then the yolk messed with the sweet potato, and basically he didn't eat much of the hash.

Weird weird weird dish for him. And it wasn't to my taste. Not even the description was.

I got the "Classic Golden Waffle - with Whipped Mascarpone Cheese, Honey, and Chopped Pecans and choice of Bacon or Chicken Sausage", again, with fruit not meat.

I will have to try it again because I realize now that probably half of my taste buds had already closed down. It was never going to be a strong-tasting thing, but it was very muted. Good, but muted.

I had never had mascarpone cheese before. It was decent. At least to my left-behind taste buds.

Service was odd. It was great that they gave us fruit instead of the meat. He was very nice. But E spilled half a large glass of OJ on the table and floor, and despite the fact that they were two tables away, I had to go walk to the servers to ask them if we could have something to clean it up with. Oh and the place was NOT busy. (though there were cute babies nearby, which, of course, distract everyone...though the babies were not distracting the servers at that exact moment)

At some point the hostess opened the restaurant doors to the foyer that holds the host/ess stand and benches. At that time the room got about 10 degrees colder. And it wasn't a sauna to begin with. You can see the top/sides of the door behind E's head in the first picture. So you can see we were in direct line for the wind. Brr.

Sadly, because of my tastebuds, I had the first of many sad sad coffees from the trip. I was blaming the coffee, but it was me.

We slowly made our way back to the lobby, where we were checked in quickly and easily. Found our room and it was decent. GREAT view of the clown pool. Too bad the temperatures were what they were! Even if we had wanted to swim, the pool was flat out CLOSED.

I decided to leave our Owners Locker in the car, so we pulled some needed things from it, put some unneeded things into it, and dragged our bags on up. At one point we took a break.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #43
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Pretty sure there was some relaxed Stacey-watching, resting time. But then we went over to Downtown Disney.

Took the boat; first time for that. BRR BRR BRR BRR.

The point of this trip was Disney Quest. We headed on into this crazy bit of insanity. I actually brought and wore earplugs. And thank goodness. E had a lot of fun, quiet fun (b/c he was getting sick and wasn't admitting it to himself yet), I didn't drag him off of games unless there was a line forming, and we got to every level. Didn't do things on every level, but we went there. Good exploration.

At last the craziness got to us and we left. Wandered around DTD a bit, and realized we were hungry. Well hey, there's Raglan Road!

This is not a Black&Tan. A Black&Tan is a different sort of ale/lager, and they didn't have that. So ashamed I don't remember.

It was good, though.

A bit of trick photography that cracked me up.

E's early dinner. Well, half the salad became mine.

My dinner. More salad and plain old mashed potatoes.

We were there are the perfect time where it was light outside, it wasn't crowded or terribly noisy, AND the dancers started to dance! Fun fun fun.

I got no good still pictures of them. I got some crooked videos of them. I'm not going to post them. Irish dancing, several women, two men, good times all around.

Such a pretty day. WHY was it so cold?

I tried to do some shopping, but I just felt too icky. E saw nothing (shocking! shoulda known right then that he wasn't OK), I saw nothing, we left. NO BOAT this time. Too cold!

Went out to the bus area. This isn't the same bus situation we dealt with in 2010; it took a shorter amount of time (wow, did I actually just say something relatively positive about Disney buses?) and it looked pretty cool.

It did take a bit of time (just not AS long as our 2010 experience), but it was relatively controlled and we all got onboard.

Only issue was that I couldn't hear the driver and it was dark by the time we got back, so we accidentally got off at Yacht&Beach Club. Whoops!

But we got to see that lobby, and we had a nice walk back to Boardwalk along the water.

Wanted to wander the grounds, and we found a very nice and kind and talkative lifeguard CM who was stationed at the pool to....make sure people saw the "pool closed" signs and stayed OUT of the pool.

We talked for what felt like ages, about just every Disney and Universal and cast member related things we could think of! Then I found out he's a photographer for the official company that photographs the events, and the days we were doing the races were the days he was NOT doing them! Oh well.

Eventually E and I were freezing, so we went on inside, after picking up a couple movies from the Community Hall.

Watched one movie, can't remember what it was. Froze. Shivered. I fevered. Felt bad.

Let's put it this way. Apart from the pictures I took, I have NO recollection of anything inside that room. Not even one little memory. I was sick.

And what we found out later on was....on that day that we had spent hauling bags and sitting in windy areas of restaurants (notice the picture of E above at Raglan Road, you can see the door!) and wandering DTD and taking a boat and standing outside for buses and standing outside at the pool area for something like 1.5 hours and wandering more.... with wind chill taken into account, it was 21 that day.

And goodnight!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #44
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Being sick on vacation is horrible! While you were really cold there we were unseasonably warm at Disneyland. Crazy weather this year.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #45
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Ugh, I hate hate hate being cold at Disney! Even though it was miserably humid for the PH, I was SOOO glad it wasn't 40 degrees!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: