Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #76
ziggystardust
DIS Veteran

Great trip report! My friend and I are planning a girls weekend soon and drinking around the world is on our agenda. Can't wait!

I'm going to have to start flying out of Philly if it means earl of sandwich! Did not know they had one. I'm between BWI and Philly but so far have only gone out of Baltimore. Now I have a reason to switch airports!

Looking forward to reading more !
Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #77
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

The ice cream martini looked good.
Good for you doing that. I would be trashed. LOL.
Oh headless giraffes. I have a pic of that too. LOl.
Caught up..
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #78
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggystardust View Post
Great trip report! My friend and I are planning a girls weekend soon and drinking around the world is on our agenda. Can't wait!

I'm going to have to start flying out of Philly if it means earl of sandwich! Did not know they had one. I'm between BWI and Philly but so far have only gone out of Baltimore. Now I have a reason to switch airports!

Looking forward to reading more !
Ooh, a girls weekend including drinking around the world sounds like a blast! And that is one of the perks of Philly haha. Can't pass up the chance to go to Earl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
The ice cream martini looked good.
Good for you doing that. I would be trashed. LOL.
Oh headless giraffes. I have a pic of that too. LOl.
Caught up..
Mmm yes, the ice cream martini was indeed good! And haha those silly giraffes! I got some better pics on my February trip when we stopped at Animal Kingdom Lodge!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #79
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom Afternoon

After riding dinosaur we were in the area anyway, so we decided to try Primeval Whirl. I don't think I'd been on it in a really long time - maybe when I had visited in high school. DH hadn't done it, but he is definitely not impressed with Wild Mouse coasters. I think they're fun if there's not much of a wait, but he always rolls his eyes at them, haha.

We walked around and passed the character spot for Tigger and Pooh and saw there was no wait, so we decided to stop and say hi! I was hopeful that they would be in some sort of Christmas outfits, and they were! They were a lot of fun, especially Tigger - he insisted on dancing with me!

After riding Everest one more time, we were getting a little closer to our FP+ time for Festival of the Lion King. We headed that way but were still pretty early, so we decided to visit some more characters in the area! I'd met Baloo but not King Louie before, so we hit them up first.

We still had time, so we saw Chip and Dale next! They were fun, and cute in their Christmas scarves, and for some reason Dale really took a liking to my husband!

Then it was finally time to get in line for our FP+, which is basically pointless, by the way. I mean, maybe it might be useful when the crowds are like a 10 out of 10, but for this it just felt silly. We got let in basically the same time as everyone else, and there are so many seats that it didn't really matter if you can in with a FP+ or not.

Anyway, I really love Festival of the Lion King. I think it's neat how you get almost a mini cirque type show for your theme park admission. They are all very talented!

DH and PP then decided that they wanted to ride Kali River Rapids, but it was not nearly warm enough for me to want to get soaked! So we decided to split up for a little bit. They got on line for the ride, and I went for a walk by myself to take some pictures.

I got a bit thirsty, so I decided to stop for a drink. I thought about trying the Yak Attack, but I wasn't really in the mood for a Frozen drink so I went to Restaurantosaurus and got some sort of rum punch. It was okay but barely tasted alcoholic at all! Not that I was looking to get buzzed or anything, mind you, but I feel like if I'm paying for the price of alcohol I should at least be able to tell that it's there.

I made my way back to Kali River Rapids, only to find that it was shut down. I asked the CM there what had happened and he said they stopped running it, and everyone was told to get off the line. Hmm, then where were my DH and PP? I asked him if there were people actually stuck on the ride but he said no, that they had all gotten off before they closed it. He suggested I try by the exit and sure enough, sitting on a bench I found them. They never actually got on the ride and were pretty bummed about it. I felt bad they didn't get to do it! DH joked that this is why he always lets me make all the plans - whenever there's something he wants to do, it ends up a disaster.

We decided to go see the Nemo musical instead. I had seen it once on my solo trip, but DH hadn't yet. We sat up much closer than I had been last time, and this time around I was fascinated by the puppets. I feel like it must be hard to be a performer - not only are they singing and moving around, they are controlling the blinking of the eyes and the mouths on their puppets as well! Maybe it's because I've always had a hard time getting my left hand and right hand to do different things, but that seems really challenging to me! DH thought it was pretty good but a bit too long, and some of the music wasn't the best. I agree with him but I still enjoy it. I just wish it was a little shorter!

When we came out we decided to find a spot for the Jingle Jungle parade, since that's the only really Christmas-y offering that AK has. It was cute, but I wasn't overwhelmed by it or anything. I'm not a huge fan of the parade in general (so I'm not exactly bummed that they're getting rid of it now), but I like that AK does at least get some Christmas touches!

I liked the naughty and nice lists:

We stopped for one classic photopass picture:

And then headed toward the park exit to find the Rainforest Cafe for our early dinner reservation.

We were seated by the fish tank. This was good, but overall I think it's overpriced and nothing special. I prefer T-REX. Though it's also overpriced, I think the atmosphere with the dinosaurs is more fun, and we like some of the food options there better. Plus, there are Rainforest Cafes in other locations (we've been to the one in Atlantic City), so it doesn't feel exclusively Disney to me. I don't really plan on ever eating here again while in Disney, though the food was good enough. There are just other places I'd like to eat more!

At this point PP decided to take a taxi to the outlet mall, because he wanted to visit some of the stores there and do some shopping. DH and I headed back to Caribbean Beach resort. We took a short nap and then decided to go to the main building to explore a little bit. They had a cute caribbean themed Christmas tree up with some fun ornaments:

We browsed the gift shop and then marveled at the pool - it was a shame we wouldn't have the time this trip to try it out, because it looked like a really fun pool!

We decided to grab and snack and then head back to the room. I found a chocolate banana peanut butter cupcake that sounded really good. Unfortunately, the woman on line in front of us ended up taking forever. She was having heck of a time trying to figure out her dining plan/snack credits, ugh. I guess she had all these snack credits left at the end of her trip, but she didn't really want snack type food, she seemed to want breakfast food and kept trying to get things that she couldn't use a snack credit for. I don't really know what was going on, but I do know it took us almost 15 minutes to check out! At least my cupcake was yummy:

Once we got back to the room PP had already returned, and we spent the rest of the night just chilling. It was really nice to relax in Disney for a little bit. I ate my delicious cupcake, and we found The Little Mermaid playing on ABC Family so we watched that before going to bed. It was a good end to the day!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #80
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Hi Becky. I just poked my head into your thread, got hooked and read all of it (ok, kinda skimmed some). Very cool that you got to meet up and tour DisneyWorld with your old penpal. I found it interesting that he didn't like to wait in lines -- my family hosted an exchange student from Belgium when I was a kid and a few years ago when my wife and I visited him there he took us to a restaurant...but because we'd have to wait 5 minutes, he changed his mind and took us to a different place across the street. He said that he would never wait to be seated at a restaurant!
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #81
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

I like the wild mouse coasters. I find them to be serious giggle fit inducers.

Oh darn. I didn't even think of meeting the Pooh gang. I like these outfits better than at the Christmas party. Such cute hats.

I agree on the parade. Nothing great, but not terrible. Oh and I LOVE also nice and naughty list especially since Donald is on both
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #82
khaleesi
Life is a Special Occasion

I love all the characters in their Christmas-y scarves! So cute!!!

The naughty and nice lists made me giggle!!

That cupcake looks and sounds delicious.

Trying hard to figure out a way to get to The World in December 2015. Stay tuned!

Love and pixie dust,
Sue
khaleesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #83
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Hi Becky. I just poked my head into your thread, got hooked and read all of it (ok, kinda skimmed some). Very cool that you got to meet up and tour DisneyWorld with your old penpal. I found it interesting that he didn't like to wait in lines -- my family hosted an exchange student from Belgium when I was a kid and a few years ago when my wife and I visited him there he took us to a restaurant...but because we'd have to wait 5 minutes, he changed his mind and took us to a different place across the street. He said that he would never wait to be seated at a restaurant!
Happy to have you here! That's really interesting about the exchange student too... I guess in Europe they have a different concept about waiting for things! Possibly because it's less crowded over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
I like the wild mouse coasters. I find them to be serious giggle fit inducers.

Oh darn. I didn't even think of meeting the Pooh gang. I like these outfits better than at the Christmas party. Such cute hats.

I agree on the parade. Nothing great, but not terrible. Oh and I LOVE also nice and naughty list especially since Donald is on both
Yes, their outfits were great! And I loved Donald's place on both lists~

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaleesi View Post
I love all the characters in their Christmas-y scarves! So cute!!!

The naughty and nice lists made me giggle!!

That cupcake looks and sounds delicious.
They do a great job getting the characters all Christmas-y!
Old 04-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #84
klacey1
DIS Veteran

I love the pics of you with Tigger and your DH dancing with Chip! So cute!
Bummer they didn't get to ride Kali! I don't think it compares to the raft ride at our local amusement park, but it's still fun.
I've never been to WDW at Christmas, so I've never seen any of the Jingle Jammin parade, but I LOVE that Naughty/Nice list. Adorable!
I've been to a Rainforest Cafe in CT and totally agree TREX is better. I actually thought the food at TREX was fantastic!
Sounds like the perfect relaxing night!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #85
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Hi Becky! Catching up again … as usual.

Oh, I LOVE Tigger and Pooh in their Christmas attire!!! Characters wearing costumes make me so happy! Oh, and Chip and Dale look adorable too! How fun!

I always think the Nemo show looks like it would be great. But every time, we think about doing it, we look at the times, and it’s just so long that we don’t stay and do it. Maybe next time…..

The CBR pool area looks great! And I love that you had a relaxing night - it's good to do that once in a while when on vacation.
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #86
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Fun pics with the characters.
Oh you should have had a Yak Attack. YUM!
Sounds like a good night except for the slow woman in front of you.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #87
amberg93
DIS Veteran

Hi Becky! I just joined in and I have to say I'm really enjoying your trip. Also it gives me the heads up about the passport (not that I need it, because I'm a US citizen but my DW is a Canadian so she'll need that) for the drinking.

Also, I was interested to learn about the drinking around the world. I just turned 21 in Feb so this will be the first trip I can drink. I don't know that I'll go full out (I'm a cheapo) but still you gave me lots of options to consider, so thanks for that Glad you handled it well too.

And yay for meeting Tigger and Pooh! They're so cute in their holiday gear. But bummer about Kali for your DH and PP (I think Photopass every time I see that lol). That is a patch of bad luck.

November 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter "Fine! We can go to Disney, but I'm not happy about it!" First Trip + MVMCP
October 2013 - All Star Music PTR "It's So Much Fun Not Knowing Where We're Goin" Post-Chemo + MNSSHP
May 2014 - All Star Sports PTR "I bet they get Charmin" Girls Trip **In progress**
September 2014 - All Star Movies + Port Orleans French Quarter
amberg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #88
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
I love the pics of you with Tigger and your DH dancing with Chip! So cute!
Bummer they didn't get to ride Kali! I don't think it compares to the raft ride at our local amusement park, but it's still fun.
I've never been to WDW at Christmas, so I've never seen any of the Jingle Jammin parade, but I LOVE that Naughty/Nice list. Adorable!
I've been to a Rainforest Cafe in CT and totally agree TREX is better. I actually thought the food at TREX was fantastic!
Sounds like the perfect relaxing night!
Yeah, we've been on some fun raft rides around here and I even though I haven't ridden Kali in awhile I remember it being pretty similar. I'm sorry they didn't get to do it though!

We really love the food at TREX too! We've eaten there twice and really liked it both times. My parents enjoyed it as well when we took them, so despite the fact that there are haters out there we are big TREX fans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Hi Becky! Catching up again … as usual.

Oh, I LOVE Tigger and Pooh in their Christmas attire!!! Characters wearing costumes make me so happy! Oh, and Chip and Dale look adorable too! How fun!

I always think the Nemo show looks like it would be great. But every time, we think about doing it, we look at the times, and it’s just so long that we don’t stay and do it. Maybe next time…..

The CBR pool area looks great! And I love that you had a relaxing night - it's good to do that once in a while when on vacation.
The Nemo show is definitely worth checking out... it is definitely cute and fun, if not my favorite thing there!

Yes, a relaxing night is definitely important with a Disney trip. I don't want to burn us out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Fun pics with the characters.
Oh you should have had a Yak Attack. YUM!
Sounds like a good night except for the slow woman in front of you.
I definitely want to get a Yak Attack next time!

Even though the wait was so slow, at least it was our evening where we didn't have any plans, so I wasn't really stressing about the wait for the food. So that's a positive, at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberg93 View Post
Hi Becky! I just joined in and I have to say I'm really enjoying your trip. Also it gives me the heads up about the passport (not that I need it, because I'm a US citizen but my DW is a Canadian so she'll need that) for the drinking.

Also, I was interested to learn about the drinking around the world. I just turned 21 in Feb so this will be the first trip I can drink. I don't know that I'll go full out (I'm a cheapo) but still you gave me lots of options to consider, so thanks for that Glad you handled it well too.

And yay for meeting Tigger and Pooh! They're so cute in their holiday gear. But bummer about Kali for your DH and PP (I think Photopass every time I see that lol). That is a patch of bad luck.
Welcome aboard! Glad I could give you a heads up about the passport situation, because it really is a pain to get stuck without it when you want a drink!

Drinking around the World is a lot of fun but yes, definitely expensive and something that we had to budget for! Even if you don't do all the countries you should definitely check out at least a few. If you're into a wine, they have a "wine trail" passport that you can buy for $20 and get tastes of different wines in three of the countries (I believe it's France, Italy, and Germany).
Old 05-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #89
DisKH
Mouseketeer

Subscribing decently late but still hopping on board!
Drinking around the world looks like it would hurt my wallet…I never would have imagined it would be so much. But it looks like you had an awesome time and the memories are definitely worth the price tag.
DisKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #90
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKH View Post
Subscribing decently late but still hopping on board!
Drinking around the world looks like it would hurt my wallet…I never would have imagined it would be so much. But it looks like you had an awesome time and the memories are definitely worth the price tag.
Glad you're joining in!

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I chose to post all the prices and the money we spent on drinking around the world. I hear people talk about doing it all the time but when I was thinking about it I didn't know how much it would cost! So I figured I'd share that info

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: