Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

Babes in Disneyland - A Quick One-day Trip!

So I found out yesterday that on Thursday I will be taking an unexpected trip to Disneyland (no CA ) My husband and I are going to San Diego for a conference (with our 9-month-old in tow) and I am staying the first 1.5 days in Anaheim with two of my best friends. One of them has a little guy having his 2nd birthday on the 11th, and since they both have passes (but are less experienced with DLR than me so far) they said they'd help with my ticket (funds are tight) so I can go too and play tour guide!

The cast:
Me, almost-9-month-old little dude (DS#2),

my friend K, with her turning-2 boy, and N with her 4-year-old and 18-month-old princesses. Did I mention that they are both pregnant? (earlier, so not big and uncomfortable). It's going to be a -different- trip, but since I thought it would be years before we could afford any kind of Disney again, I'm ecstatic.
I made this yesterday, so our family now has a matched set:

We haven't told the older kids this is going down yet. Hope they aren't toooo upset!
Here's a pic from the last time I went to Disney with these "girls." (almost 10 years ago, pre-kids!)

I will do a mini trip report when we return. I've never been with a baby before, but I think he will love it! Hopefully he will sleep there... you never can tell!

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip)) Quick one-day DL only trip with my 9 month-old and friends - 9/11/14!!
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

Hi Jaina…..haven't seen you around for a while!

I remember your last Trip Report!

How fun----an unexpected trip, and with your friends, as well!

Have a wonderful time!
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Jaina

Thanks! I intend to!

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip)) Quick one-day DL only trip with my 9 month-old and friends - 9/11/14!!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Congrats on the baby!! I am actually a former VMK'er too

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Pageants
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM   #5
Jaina

Babes in Disneyland - Day 1! (Um... only day...) Part 1

I started this once, but then a few of my kids got strep, and I totally forgot that I never did it!
We drove to Anaheim (from the Phx area) Wednesday, and spent the evening with our friends. (We stayed with one of my college roommates, her husband, and their just-2-year-old). Didn't sleep well that night. We can't sleep on an air mattress together, plus DH had to get up about 5:30 because a friend was picking him up at 6:30 to give him a ride down to San Diego.

Thursday, September 11th

I am a rope-drop girl. I like to be in line a good 20 minutes before they might open the turnstiles. So it was a little challenging for me to be patient as my friends got ready to go, knowing there was no way we'd be there at opening. I was good though, and just relaxed, knowing this would not be a go-go-go trip. I had a baby, my friends were both pregnant, and it was supposed to be a hot day. Also, I knew it was early entry at Disneyland, so there would already be some crowds even if we got there early. I was determined to just go and enjoy the magic and soak up being there, especially since a few days before, it hadn't even been a possibility! I had three main objectives going into this day: Big Thunder Mountain (It had been closed on my last trip, so I hadn't been on it in about 6 years!), a corn dog, and to relax and enjoy.

My little guy, luckily took a nap from about 8 to 8:40,because he'd been up at 6, and I wasn't sure how naps were going to go in the parks. They're a little challenging at home, in his bed... We left the house about 9:15, I think, and K (my friend), B (her husband), W (their birthday boy - 2 years old that day!), Shawn (my almost-9-month-old), and I crammed into their little hatchback, because if I took my own car, well, I'd have to pay for parking, which was out of my budget after buying much of my ticket. (Thanks, friends!!)

We parked at the Toy Story lot, which I had never done before, because their little guy loves the "big blue bus!" Even wearing my "little" guy (22 lbs...), it was a little exciting packing up the stroller and grabbing my stuff. Just baby stuff alone for the day was a good bag's worth, plus snacks, and a soft-sided cooler. (He has to have ready-to-feed Alimentum, which I knew wouldn't be available at the baby center, and it has to be refrigerated. Complicated.) But we made it! I was so excited just to be there that I didn't mind all the hassle (or the sweat already trickling down my face) and was just on Cloud 9.

We had to stop at the ticket booth for my ticket. (My friends had recently purchased AP's - this was basically their 3rd ever visit!) While waiting, I took these pictures. So happy!

Finally, at about 10:20 or so, we were in! Happy, happy, happy. First stop for the pregnant lady was the restroom, since we had left home over an hour before. It was already toasty on Main Street, and while waiting we checked out the fire station and met Pluto (Which was the only character I waited in line for that day. He really wasn't that interested in the characters. Not more than anything else, anyway)

I was surprised to find that the castle was closed. Like you couldn't walk through there to Fantasyland. What the... (Later found it's because they were working on blocking off/removing the benches along the drawbridge ) So we headed around the corner next to the Matterhorn. It. was. hot. And all the lines (according to Mousewait) were kind of long. The sign said Alice in Wonderland (which they'd never been on, and I wanted to check out the changes to) was 30 minutes, but I could tell by looking that it wasn't a 30-minute line. (Ended up being right at 20) So we jumped in. Sheesh, I should have worn the carrier. Shawn was heavy! (It was a really great carrier - a Beco Gemini, that I had borrowed, but it was just too hot of a day for it! Otherwise I would have used it a lot more!) It was fun waiting in his first Disney line and riding his very first ride though! I was paying so much attention to what he thought of it and trying to get a decent selfie that I didn't get to fully appreciate the changes. But they seemed cool... I decided not to lug around our Canon. I didn't think I could be responsible for that AND a baby all day. I did bring my video camera, but didn't get it out much, and mostly just used my iPhone. I didn't want to be juggling stuff constantly, and I would have my phone anyway, so I just did that. He is a very observant baby, and LOVES to be out and about, in his stroller or wherever, and look at things. So he pretty much loved Disneyland. His face doesn't often reflect this, but I promise he liked Alice...

They had never been in Toontown, so we (I?) decided we'd better do that before it got any hotter. (In other words, we didn't end up ever getting to do Peter Pan or Dumbo, which I expected to do! But it wasn't about fulfilled expectations this trip, thankfully. ) Toontown is warm even on some nice days, and by 10:45 that place was like a happy little oven. Did I mention that it was also a muggy/humid day? I know, I'm from Arizona, but I've also lived in Iowa and Virginia, and it -was- a bit humid. Shawn and I did some relaxing in the shade and having a snack while they checked out Mickey's house. He loved watching everything!

Sorry about all the pictures. He is adorable, and it was his first Disney trip...

At this point our other friend (N, and her girls, M4.5 and M2-almost 2) had finally made it to the park, and she was trying to meet up with us. She brought her SIL, Kr, who is an AP, and was awesome to have around. We needed another adult with all those little ones, and she was a lot of fun. We decided to go on Roger Rabbit, since we were right there, and it should be cooler in there. Ha. The line was more than 20 minutes (it's one of those many hidden, deceptive ones) and the line itself was not nearly as air-conditioned as it needed to be! I worried that Shawn might be scared of RR (I remembered it being a little intense, plus he had to sit -next- to me on the seat), but I just snuggled him close and he never made a peep. Great face, huh?

Once we got out around 12:30, the crowd index was at about 65, the thermometer was over 95º, and my more-pregnant friend (K, about 14 weeks) was getting overheated and overwhelmed. Their first visit had been very uncrowded and the weather had been nice. We went towards Small World, but the line looked too hot to her, and and she and her little family decided to go find somewhere cooler to calm down.

Small World: the line looked a little long, and it WAS hot, but they had both sides running and we weren't in line more than 5-10 minutes. This was definitely Shawn's favorite ride (despite his face in the pic. Don't judge from that...) He liked how slow we were going, so he could just look and look and see everything there was to see, and he liked the singing. I loved taking him on it!

It was a touch stressful in the middle of the day there. It was W's birthday, and they had made it possible for me to be there, and I wanted them to have a good time, and at that point they weren't! It killed me, but while in line, I texted to tell her we could leave if they needed to, or they could leave and N or her husband could pick Shawn and I up later that evening), or whatever she wanted to do.

I was completely fine, (though I tend to overheat easily) because I was so happy to be there, and Shawn was happy, but would our day get cut short?

Disney Trips:
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #6
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

I love it!! I'm actually a former VMK'er too

WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM   #7
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Luvin the matching shirts and your little guy is to cute
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:52 AM   #8
Jaina

Thanks!
WDWJonasGirl, have you found MyVMK.com? It's quite amazing what they've recreated.

Disney Trips:
Old Today, 12:40 PM   #9
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Yes I have. I'm in love with it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: