DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 01:11 AM   #46
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by summabreeze85 View Post
Nothing is worth paying the current prices to direct. I think the biggest downfall of DVC is that the best value for your points IS DVC resorts, rightfully so, but the values for everything else are terrible. I work for southwest airlines and fly all over the country and use priceline for everything. It'd be nice to use my DVC for accommodations. Just bought a Wyndham timeshare though can't wait if you get a chance check out bonnet creek and the Wyndham program. Resort is right on Disney property and its first class.
While WBC is directly across the road from POR, and many feel it is of high quality, it is objectively not on Disney property. The main area this becomes relevant versus the non-Disney resorts that ARE on property (swan/dolphin) is that WBC does not receive Disney transportation.

Summabreeze you personally may be aware of all this. I'm posting to clarify the issue, for an otherwise unaware passive reader.
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #47
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nothing is worth paying the current prices to direct. I think the biggest downfall of DVC is that the best value for your points IS DVC resorts, rightfully so, but the values for everything else are terrible. I work for southwest airlines and fly all over the country and use priceline for everything. It'd be nice to use my DVC for accommodations. Just bought a Wyndham timeshare though can't wait if you get a chance check out bonnet creek and the Wyndham program. Resort is right on Disney property and its first class.
It depends on how you look at it. First and foremost I see this as an on property vs off property question. On property is far more expensive no matter how you cut it. One you decide on property is worth it, then the question is what are the costs. I'm assuming you bought Wyndham resale and dollar wise you're right, you'll never be able to justify a free Wyndham membership vs a paid DVC retail. However, DVC retail is likely a better deal than Wyndham retail when you look at the residual value over time.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #48
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Disney would sell if they got the right offer, as time goes on they are just like any other company focusing primarily on profit at the increasing expense of their guests. Their goal is apparently to pack in as many guests as they can, even if you can't walk down Main Street, have to stand in a queue for 60 minutes...
Bill
seems like the only short-term cure for this is to raise ticket prices to $150 per day. but i suspect they are in a no-win situation in this case...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #49
mrsgoose8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper8286 View Post
Congrats Now that you are in the excruciating waiting period, let me chime in...... I bought 160 points resale at BLT in October. We closed and made our first reservation. Snagged a studio savanna view at AKV-Kidani in December to use the 2012 points on the contract. Loaded up the car, drove all afternoon and pulled up to AKV at midnight..... DVC magic had become real. It was everything I expected and then more. HERE IS THE DOWNSIDE>>>>>> I was like a little kid when I walked into that park. Almost 43 years old and I was like a little kid. But what I had not EMOTIONALLY factored in was how bad I would want to return and how often and all the things that go with that. Bill, Deb and a ton of others have posted about a gazillion times that it is not just buying in, it is what you spend when you come. I "spent" 52 points to go before Christmas. But I also SPENT on annual passes, t shirts, food, photopass +, gas........Disney has DVC to get you into the park. I have no qualms about it. I know I am being financially manipulated and considered that when buying in. What I did not expect is how powerful that urge was to try to wring every ounce of enjoyment out.....I am tentatively planning a visit in November 2015....and Aulani after that. All that GOING, costs BUNDLES. I am OK with spending what I am spending, but it is MORE that I expected and I believe that momentum wont slow down for a while. I post this to caution you addonitus, and the urge for multiple trips is probably coming. As long as you can live with that, your golden. I am not being negative, for all the things that people complain about, I think it balances out very positively. I have had great trips (before and after being a member) and would not change buying in, nor planning the trips I have on deck. I would do it all over again. Just be ready for the urge for more to hit......
Are you ever right! Before DVC I went to WDW once every few years. We bought a little less than one year ago, just took our trip we had already planned since we bought...

We now have 2 more trips booked and are planning our 2015 trips too...

All I need now is some more money so I can get more points!! ROFL!

They key to all things (not just Disney or DVC though certainly applicable) is moderation. Yes we want to go 5x a year, but the reality is, is that we will have to wait to go again until our points refresh, we can save enough for airfare and etc etc. We have to remind ourselves of that!! Otherwise, we would be in trouble, lol!!

GL!!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #50
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
seems like the only short-term cure for this is to raise ticket prices to $150 per day. but i suspect they are in a no-win situation in this case...
I don't have a problem with a company making a profit but when they keep pushing to increase attendance even when the customer experience has been negatively affected, that bothers me. The entire NextGen project is designed to move more people faster.

I read last week that the MK opens up a backstage walkway to allow people to leave the park when it gets too crowded to walk down main street. That to me is a good example of a negative experience, others might say that Disney is wonderful for letting people exit through the back door, but not me.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #51
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper8286 View Post
Congrats

Now that you are in the excruciating waiting period, let me chime in......

I bought 160 points resale at BLT in October. We closed and made our first reservation. Snagged a studio savanna view at AKV-Kidani in December to use the 2012 points on the contract. Loaded up the car, drove all afternoon and pulled up to AKV at midnight.....

DVC magic had become real. It was everything I expected and then more.

HERE IS THE DOWNSIDE>>>>>>

I was like a little kid when I walked into that park. Almost 43 years old and I was like a little kid. But what I had not EMOTIONALLY factored in was how bad I would want to return and how often and all the things that go with that.

Bill, Deb and a ton of others have posted about a gazillion times that it is not just buying in, it is what you spend when you come. I "spent" 52 points to go before Christmas. But I also SPENT on annual passes, t shirts, food, photopass +, gas........Disney has DVC to get you into the park. I have no qualms about it. I know I am being financially manipulated and considered that when buying in. What I did not expect is how powerful that urge was to try to wring every ounce of enjoyment out.....I am tentatively planning a visit in November 2015....and Aulani after that. All that GOING, costs BUNDLES.

I am OK with spending what I am spending, but it is MORE that I expected and I believe that momentum wont slow down for a while.

I post this to caution you addonitus, and the urge for multiple trips is probably coming. As long as you can live with that, your golden.

I am not being negative, for all the things that people complain about, I think it balances out very positively. I have had great trips (before and after being a member) and would not change buying in, nor planning the trips I have on deck. I would do it all over again. Just be ready for the urge for more to hit......
You aren't fully infected yet, you will know it when you take 3 or 4 WDW vacations per year and you buy 6 resorts because you can't decide which one or two you love.

Bill

Old 01-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #52
PacoDF
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I read last week that the MK opens up a backstage walkway to allow people to leave the park when it gets too crowded to walk down main street. That to me is a good example of a negative experience, others might say that Disney is wonderful for letting people exit through the back door, but not me.

Bill
I saw that passage in our trip last march after fireworks (it is between the MS buildings and the Tomorrowland Terrace). Lots of people went tru it as a shortcut to the MS crowd. I decided not to use it even if is faster. The whole point of a Disney theme park is not seeing backstage ever. I just did some shopping before heading out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdTj-B5aORc
PacoDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #53
Tardisblue
Earning My Ears

Every time I start to get the urge to discuss DVC with my wife, I come read this thread and it extinguishes the flame. I know many of you are happy with your purchase, and I'm glad for that. I just don't think I want to get locked in for the long-haul.
July 1973 - Contemporary; March 1983 - Offsite; November 1995 - Wilderness Lodge; June 2002 - Offsite; Sept 2009 - Offsite; August 2011 - Offsite; August 2012 - Offsite; May 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; August 2013 - Offsite; January 2014 - All Star Movies; May 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter

Disneyland
2001 - Offsite

Tardisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #54
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardisblue View Post
Every time I start to get the urge to discuss DVC with my wife, I come read this thread and it extinguishes the flame. I know many of you are happy with your purchase, and I'm glad for that. I just don't think I want to get locked in for the long-haul.
My biggest concern and disappointment is the current and past DVC management that we are stuck with. They have no incentive to improve or even provide basic service. Long phone hold times, websites that don't function, excessive delays for responding to emails, added delays for processing resales, lack of information and transparency. Because it's Disney, people don't seem to care.

We bought VGF but that's it for us unless DVC changes the way they do business.

Other issues at WDW are a separate issue.

Bill

Old 01-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #55
Tardisblue
Earning My Ears

Quote:
My biggest concern and disappointment is the current and past DVC management that we are stuck with. They have no incentive to improve or even provide basic service. Long phone hold times, websites that don't function, excessive delays for responding to emails, added delays for processing resales, lack of information and transparency. Because it's Disney, people don't seem to care.

We bought VGF but that's it for us unless DVC changes the way they do business.

Other issues at WDW are a separate issue.

Bill

That's what I'm afraid of Bill. It may improve over time, but nobody can guarantee that. For now I'll book moderates (usually POFQ) and/or stay off-site in a town-house. More flexibility and I don't feel the pressure to do Disney EVERY year, although we usually do.
July 1973 - Contemporary; March 1983 - Offsite; November 1995 - Wilderness Lodge; June 2002 - Offsite; Sept 2009 - Offsite; August 2011 - Offsite; August 2012 - Offsite; May 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; August 2013 - Offsite; January 2014 - All Star Movies; May 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter

Disneyland
2001 - Offsite

Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #56
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
That's what I'm afraid of Bill. It may improve over time, but nobody can guarantee that. For now I'll book moderates (usually POFQ) and/or stay off-site in a town-house. More flexibility and I don't feel the pressure to do Disney EVERY year, although we usually do.
you can also still rent DVC from owners at a good price without taking on the commitment risk...

i'm not as convinced as some that the "old days" were really that much better but that's not a bad plan.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #57
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
I just don't think I want to get locked in for the long-haul.
This is the most important downside to any timeshare, and a consideration prospective buyers of any timeshare should really take seriously.

Any timeshare involves a long-term commitment to annual fees which far exceed the initial purchase price. It always amazes and amuses me that some folks will agonize over saving $1 per point on the buy-in and never consider the long-term cost of timeshare ownership.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #58
Tardisblue
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE= Any timeshare involves a long-term commitment to annual fees which far exceed the initial purchase price. It always amazes and amuses me that some folks will agonize over saving $1 per point on the buy-in and never consider the long-term cost of timeshare ownership.[/QUOTE]

My dad bought traditional timeshares when I was in my teens, and they were cool for a couple of years, but he complained about maintenance costs until the day he died. I'm still skittish for those reasons and I think I've read enough here and elsewhere to keep me away for the time-being.

Disneyland
2001 - Offsite

Old 01-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #59
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My dad bought traditional timeshares when I was in my teens, and they were cool for a couple of years, but he complained about maintenance costs until the day he died. I'm still skittish for those reasons and I think I've read enough here and elsewhere to keep me away for the time-being.
That's what happens when people make impulse buys, pay retail, don't learn their product and don't play the game to win. Certainly some should not own timeshares but for many, learning and buying the right ones can be a gold mine in terms of vacation usage.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #60
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are DVC members. I've stayed at Bonnet Creek. Resort is nice and villas are larger but if you are a Disney nut....it is NOT Disney! There is no magic! I know many people love it there but it just did not do it for us. That of course is only my opinion. I love being immersed in Disney 24/7.

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: