DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
emmababy
DIS Veteran

Resorts getting rid of comforters

Checked in today at SSR and there are no blankets or comforters. Just sheets. This irritates me to no end. My family likes to snuggle and sleep and be warm. Can't do that.

Then I asked housekeeping for something. Waited 30 minutes and no one showed up. Called back and thy said that's normal but they had no record of me calling and now I'm on hold. Just what I want after traveling all day.

Oh- saw 3 rats the size if squirrels out in front of me. Glad I will never stay here again.
SSR- August 2011

DVC HHI- June 2012
emmababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmababy View Post
Checked in today at SSR and there are no blankets or comforters. Just sheets. This irritates me to no end. My family likes to snuggle and sleep and be warm. Can't do that.

Then I asked housekeeping for something. Waited 30 minutes and no one showed up. Called back and thy said that's normal but they had no record of me calling and now I'm on hold. Just what I want after traveling all day.

Oh- saw 3 rats the size if squirrels out in front of me. Glad I will never stay here again.
almost had me until the rats...

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

All the resorts are going to triple sheets, both DVC and Non-DVC. And most other hotels. People complained about the comforters not being cleaned between guests and it was too much to clean them each time.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

The last two non-Disney hotels we stayed at (Marriott) did not have comforters either. My understanding is that many of the upscale hotels are getting rid of bedspreads because of the cleanliness issue. Sheets and blankets are much easier to remove and clean.

Frankly, I am happy to see this trend. I really have no phobia about other peoples germs, but prefer the new bedding.

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
emmababy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrosesix View Post
almost had me until the rats...
Serious about the rats!
SSR- August 2011

DVC HHI- June 2012
emmababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
deedeetoo
DIS Veteran

So there are no blankets or comforters or anything to keep you warm? Just sheets? Sounds like we'll have to keep the room warmer.
deedeetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmababy View Post
Serious about the rats!
Rats are animals, just like squirrels and rabbits. Both are rodents that exist in the wild. When humankind build and encroach in a wilderness area, expect them. My cats bring me one as a present now and then here in Texas, and I often see them running around outside. Disney was originally a swampy, watery, wilderness area. There are occasionally Florida Panthers in the area between Ft. Wilderness and the MK resorts. Alligators are also common on Disney property.

Personally, I liked the comforters, too. But they've been or are being removed at all Disney resorts, partly because of all the consumer advocate exposés of dirty hotel comforters. The new bedding is called triple sheeting, and is used by most major hotels now.

Housekeeping, well, that is a human factor...mistakes happen.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
browniemtb
DIS Veteran

No matter where we stay we always fold up the comforters and put them in the closet. I'm ok with the change....

Were the rats DVC members?

Thank God for DVC!
DD14 DD12 DS7 DS4
browniemtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeetoo View Post
So there are no blankets or comforters or anything to keep you warm? Just sheets? Sounds like we'll have to keep the room warmer.
Triple Sheeting is becoming an industry norm. It uses a top and bottom sheet with a blanket in between. The blanket used is easier to wash than the comforter that's being replaced.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #10
deedeetoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
Triple Sheeting is becoming an industry norm. It uses a top and bottom sheet with a blanket in between. The blanket used is easier to wash than the comforter that's being replaced.
I am familiar with triple sheeting using a blanket, but the OP said she didn't even get a blanket. Maybe she didn't realize there was one in between the sheets.
deedeetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
Tink Fans
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

I was worried about the new triple sheeting for our last trip as I HATE being cold...but

Really liked the new system!!! We also fold up the comforter and put in closet immediately. My husband likes the room cool so I was worried about being cold and thought I would have to request extra blankets. NOT AT ALL. We were all very comfortable and did not even use the extra blanket in the hall closet. There was a little piece of old comforter at the end of the bed which gave it a splash of color (don't know what that thing is called).
Tink Fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #12
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink Fans View Post
There was a little piece of old comforter at the end of the bed which gave it a splash of color (don't know what that thing is called).
It's called a bed scarf.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
corpcomp
The 100 Yard Dash and Mr. D

Yep when we got to BVC I saw the comforter had shrunk

I ordered extra blankets but frankly the beds look bizarre to me, but its cheaper for the hotels to do this

1980-2000 - too many to count
March 01 Poly, March 02, 03 Coronado Springs
March 04 Caribbean Beaches, March 05, 06 Coronado Springs
July 06, April 07, April 08 BCV, June 08 BWV & Yacht Club, Feb 09 BWV, Halloween 09 SSR & BWV, April 10, July 10 BCV & VWL, Aug 11 BWV, Aug 12 BCV, April 13 BCV, NYE 13 BLT & BCV
corpcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #14
Meriweather
Maybe we will have an arrival or two today
Time to share your chocolate!

Happening on cruise ships too. Just got back from one. Blanket between sheets and bed scarf for the color.
It is fine with me. I like clean.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #15
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

I understand you are frustrated, but please don't paint SSR in a negative light for something that is DVC-wide. The comforters are being removed from all of the DVC resorts and they are using them to make bed scarfs. There is some lag between when they remove the comforters and when the bedscarves appear as they have to be manufactured. On our recent OKW and BWV stays we had bed scarves in our rooms. Guests that had stays there shortly before us had only the white sheets. You must just be at SSR in the in-between period.

As for the delay from Mousekeeping, that can happen anywhere. It is certainly frustrating, but I don't think it is something that should immediately tarnish SSR for you. Mistakes happen sometimes. If you get consistently bad service at SSR then that might be worth a negative review, but I would definitely give them a second chance. We have had 5 stays at SSR and have had great experiences each time.

Rats...yup...they are at WDW. To think otherwise is unrealistic. WDW is a huge property that has many, many food service locations. I've seen one in the MK, one at AKL-Jambo and one at Downtown Disney. I've also seen cockroaches on occasion. Yucky?...Definitely!...but a natural occurrence in that type of environment.

I hope your stay gets better.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: