Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
jabysmom
Earning My Ears

First timer

Hi there, we are planning to go to disneyland this coming March to celebrate my son's 3rd birthday. This is the first time for the 3 of us to go to disneyland (mom, dad, son) I have been wanting to stay at one of the disney hotels, but it definitely is pricey as compared to neighboring hotels. I wanted this experience to be memorable for my son by experiencing all the fun disneyland has to offer.
If i may just ask, what are the benefits and advantages if you are staying in the disney hotels? What can't you do, can't have or can't experience if you are just staying on the neighboring hotels?
I am having a hard time deciding where to stay. Pls give me some ideas. Thanks!
jabysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Oohhhh first trips are exciting!

There's a thread here on the first page called something like "Will I regret staying off-site" - read that as it has a lot of info you're asking for.

Personally - I'm a fan of staying offsite and using the savings for things like souveniers, ride photos - or the photopass plus package!, nicer dining experiences, Fantasmic Dessert Package (you get an actual seat instead of sitting on the ground, plus yummy desserts), and even better staying more nights becaus the expense is less haha.

A perk of staying onsite is you get to enter one of the parks an hour early each day. But, is that hour worth the price difference? That's for you to decide.

There are quite a few offsite hotels that are technically closer than the onsite resorts. We're staying at Tropicana right across the street. They have a 5 and 7 night discount rate -AWESOME.

For your 3yo - does he like water/swimming? HOJO has a GREAT pirate themed water area that is perfect for his age, check their website for pics.

Personally I have a hard time justifying the cost of staying onsite when you don't really get much added benefit.

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
seagodess
DIS Veteran

I have never stayed on site, and unless I win the lottery, probably never will. We do not spend much time in the hotel for it to matter. We sleep there and sometimes have a meal, but that is about it. We spend as much time in the parks or doing other things as we can. So the extra money is just not worth it for us. I would rather spend that money on extra things, or put it towards another trip. We stayed at the FFI on our last trip and loved it. It was a closer walk than the PP, or DLH.

March 2005- 1st DL trip. My Honey Moon
May 2012- DS's 1st DL trip and 5th Birthday- Trip Report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2934231)
March 2014- Trip report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3256794)
seagodess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabysmom View Post
Hi there, we are planning to go to disneyland this coming March to celebrate my son's 3rd birthday. This is the first time for the 3 of us to go to disneyland (mom, dad, son) I have been wanting to stay at one of the disney hotels, but it definitely is pricey as compared to neighboring hotels. I wanted this experience to be memorable for my son by experiencing all the fun disneyland has to offer.
If i may just ask, what are the benefits and advantages if you are staying in the disney hotels? What can't you do, can't have or can't experience if you are just staying on the neighboring hotels?
I am having a hard time deciding where to stay. Pls give me some ideas. Thanks!
Unless you are feeling flush with cash then staying offsite totally works at DLR. IMO it is better to stay within walking distance - of which youc an choose from at least a dozen lodging options.

Perks for onsite

- As PP mentioned early entry to parks every day
- Use of special entrance to DCA in the morning
- Purchases in parks can be delivered to your room
- Access to Disney Vacation Planning who can help with things such as getting Fantasmic dessert reservations
- Greater feeling of magic

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
Unless you are feeling flush with cash then staying offsite totally works at DLR. IMO it is better to stay within walking distance - of which youc an choose from at least a dozen lodging options.

Perks for onsite

- As PP mentioned early entry to parks every day
- Use of special entrance to DCA in the morning
- Purchases in parks can be delivered to your room
- Access to Disney Vacation Planning who can help with things such as getting Fantasmic dessert reservations
- Greater feeling of magic

Question/clarification: If you are staying off-site, can you have packages sent to the booth near the front gate (or take them there yourself at some point) to retrieve before you leave the park at the end of the day?

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

Old 01-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdsmama View Post
Question/clarification: If you are staying off-site, can you have packages sent to the booth near the front gate (or take them there yourself at some point) to retrieve before you leave the park at the end of the day?
I do not know. They used to do this but I have not tried it many years.

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
I do not know. They used to do this but I have not tried it many years.

You don't know!? Unacceptable I had to research it myself perish the thought haha.

From Disney's FAQ section of their website:

If I buy something while I'm at a theme park, do I have to carry it around all day?
The Disneyland Resort offers a Package Check Service. If you are staying at one of the Disneyland Resort Hotels, you may have your purchases sent directly to the Hotel.

If you are just here for the day or are staying at a non-Disney hotel, you may check your purchases until you leave at:

•Elias & Company in Disney California Adventure Park
•Newsstand at Disneyland Park
•The Star Trader at Disneyland Park
•Pioneer Mercantile at Disneyland Park

Old 01-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
jabysmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagodess View Post
I have never stayed on site, and unless I win the lottery, probably never will. We do not spend much time in the hotel for it to matter. We sleep there and sometimes have a meal, but that is about it. We spend as much time in the parks or doing other things as we can. So the extra money is just not worth it for us. I would rather spend that money on extra things, or put it towards another trip. We stayed at the FFI on our last trip and loved it. It was a closer walk than the PP, or DLH.
Pls forgive my ignorance, what is FFI?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
jabysmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagodess View Post
What is FFI?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
Janomi
Moo-sketeer

FFI - I assume it's Fairfield Inn.
DL Half - 2008 - Phew! DLF is better than DNF!!
Janomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
seagodess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janomi View Post
FFI - I assume it's Fairfield Inn.
Yes it is

March 2005- 1st DL trip. My Honey Moon
May 2012- DS's 1st DL trip and 5th Birthday- Trip Report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2934231)
March 2014- Trip report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3256794)
seagodess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Every time we look at staying onsite, we realize we can stay at the Candy Cane Inn for a whole week or onsite for a few days. We like to stay a week.
(and we get free breakfast to boot) You can click the link in my sig to see my review of the Candy Cane Inn with pics. I even put in a few updates after our last trip this summer. CCI is our go to place for going to DLR.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
sbmorasch
Mouseketeer

I'm not to sure about hotels and stuff but I do love disneyland a lot. Disneyland and world have a lot to offer in 2 different ways. Disneyland shows are much better but hader to come across as they don't go up everyday. The only show that I know off that happends everyday is world of colour witch is the most amazing thing I have Ever seen. Really worth the fast pass of you get it
sbmorasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #14
jabysmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdsmama View Post
Oohhhh first trips are exciting!

There's a thread here on the first page called something like "Will I regret staying off-site" - read that as it has a lot of info you're asking for.

Personally - I'm a fan of staying offsite and using the savings for things like souveniers, ride photos - or the photopass plus package!, nicer dining experiences, Fantasmic Dessert Package (you get an actual seat instead of sitting on the ground, plus yummy desserts), and even better staying more nights becaus the expense is less haha.

A perk of staying onsite is you get to enter one of the parks an hour early each day. But, is that hour worth the price difference? That's for you to decide.

There are quite a few offsite hotels that are technically closer than the onsite resorts. We're staying at Tropicana right across the street. They have a 5 and 7 night discount rate -AWESOME.

For your 3yo - does he like water/swimming? HOJO has a GREAT pirate themed water area that is perfect for his age, check their website for pics.

Personally I have a hard time justifying the cost of staying onsite when you don't really get much added benefit.
Thanks for some ideas
Old 01-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #15
jabysmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmorasch View Post
I'm not to sure about hotels and stuff but I do love disneyland a lot. Disneyland and world have a lot to offer in 2 different ways. Disneyland shows are much better but hader to come across as they don't go up everyday. The only show that I know off that happends everyday is world of colour witch is the most amazing thing I have Ever seen. Really worth the fast pass of you get it
What is a fast pass and how do i get it? sorry but i really have no idea about this whole thing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: