Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

Will I regret staying offsite?

Prepping for a trip to Disneyland, our first. Been to WDW several times, and pretty much always stayed on site with the exception of the very first time. I really enjoy being on property at WDW, partially because of the ease of getting around, and partially because of the atmosphere of the hotels.

As of right now, we're planning on staying at one of those condos west of the Disneyland Hotel. That still puts me close enough to walk so I'm not really concerned about it from that standpoint, but will I miss being at a Disney resort? For what it's worth, price is about the same, but the condo will give us a washer-dryer, full kitchen, and a LOT more space, which is why we're likely going that route.

I do get that this is a completely subjective question, but is the theming and atmosphere at the DLR hotels such that they really add to the experience, like they do (IMO) at WDW?

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015) - DLR (July 2014)
DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

In 2012 we stayed at Hojo and I did not regret it for even a nanosecond. The hotel was actually closer to the gates than the resort properties ;-) Check out this link, it's kinda neat
http://www.mouseplanet.com/7280/How_Far_Is_It

Our room had a small stuffed Mickey for my son on our arrival, totally unexpected and nice touch!

I saved so much money on that hotel vs staying onsite, it allowed us to splurge on extras like character dining.

This trip we're staying at Tropicana which is even CLOSER since its directly across the crosswalk to DL. I just repriced it and to stay at the PPH instead of the Tropicana this year would be 300% more. TO ME that is not worth it. I'd rather spend the money on Fantasmic Dessert Seating, a nice meal at Blue Bayou, a tour or better yet - extra nights on vacation!

Also, I know you get EMH every day by staying onsite, but 5hrs (1hr each morning of our trip) isn't worth an extra $240 per night to me ;-)

I didn't feel like I left the "Disney Bubble" by staying offsite, although some do feel that way. Maybe its because I could still see DL so it didn't feel like we really left?

I've toured all the onsite properties as a travel agent and while I do like them, I just cannot justify the cost.

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We normally stay onsite at WDW but are staying offsite at DL. I can't justify the cost of the DL hotels when we can stay offsite for around $250 per night less plus get free parking and free breakfast. We will be within walking distance. We don't spend enough time in our room to really worry about the "Disney difference" at DL!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Coffee50
Earning My Ears

I don't think you'll regret it at all.

WDW & DLR are like apples & oranges when comparing the benefits of staying on property.

Sure, the resorts are Disneyland are nice.....but because everything is virtually in walking distance, you aren't gaining anything in the way of convenience.

Plus, it seems you'll get a lot more by staying off property than on (kitchen, w/d, etc.)
Coffee50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtoastyman View Post
Prepping for a trip to Disneyland, our first. Been to WDW several times, and pretty much always stayed on site with the exception of the very first time. I really enjoy being on property at WDW, partially because of the ease of getting around, and partially because of the atmosphere of the hotels.

As of right now, we're planning on staying at one of those condos west of the Disneyland Hotel. That still puts me close enough to walk so I'm not really concerned about it from that standpoint, but will I miss being at a Disney resort? For what it's worth, price is about the same, but the condo will give us a washer-dryer, full kitchen, and a LOT more space, which is why we're likely going that route.

I do get that this is a completely subjective question, but is the theming and atmosphere at the DLR hotels such that they really add to the experience, like they do (IMO) at WDW?
I personally don't think that you will miss much. The theming of resort hotels at DL is much more subdued than at WDW. If money is no object I would stay on-site but to me it's not worth the extra expense.

FYI this is from a person that would not consider off-site at WDW.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
gunka
DIS Veteran

We do both. Prefer to stay on-site, but can't always justify the cost. I do feel like you lose something when leaving the bubble...but that's me.

Your circumstance are a little different..with the kitchen, washer/dryer etc...obviously you won't get that on property.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

I think the only thing you lose staying off site is the EMH - if you are going to be in the park enough days and it's not peak season then I think you will be fine, especially with the conveniences you would never get on site.

We stay at the HOJO in the kids suites, a room configuration we'd not be able to get onsite unless we booked two rooms or a suite, so you can imagine the cost savings! We find with the hotels being so close, as close as the on site hotels, that you really never leave that bubble. Sure, you are not on Disney property but you are not having to take a bus or boat like you would even staying on property in WDW.

However, if we ever go to WDW, we will be sure to stay at an onsite hotel and we'll likely find it far less convenient than staying off site at DLR.

Enjoy the savings and all the extras you get with the condo.
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
All American
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I didn't feel like I left the "Disney Bubble" by staying offsite, although some do feel that way. Maybe its because I could still see DL so it didn't feel like we really left?
We usually stay at my in-laws in Corona and just do day trips, but on one occasion my husband and I took a trip -- just us -- and stayed at the Marriott next to the Convention Center. It was a 20-minute walk, not too bad for able-bodied adults. Something that really surprised us (and we really liked) was how it *still* felt Disney-ish just walking down the road. Yeah, you get the traffic and real world stuff, but the people we were walking with really kept the feel going. In the morning, you're walking with people to the park, and everyone is excited to be going. In the evening, the walk is a little slower, but people have had an enjoyable day. Just that energy from fellow travelers kept that Disney vacation feel going.

We're really looking forward to that again when we stay at the Embassy Suites this summer for the first time although we'll probably be taking the shuttle, but still the strangers we'll be with will hopefully be looking forward to their days at the park as well.

DH Me DD DD
All American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
kathy884
DIS Veteran

I'm doing my first trip as an adult to Disneyland too after 35 trips to WDW. The close offsite places are a shorter walk to the parks than the walk from the Contemporary to the Magic Kingdom, so how can you beat that. Our Disneyland add on is short just three nights / two days, and we picked the Fairfield Inn. // Sounds like your going to be pretty close too and for a decent length trip, a condo is so nice. I love having a condo. I'd personally go for the condo with no hesitation. // However, do note that I don't always stay onsite at WDW either. I mix it up quite a bit and love both.
kathy884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
luvgoing2disney
DIS Veteran

I don't think you will regret staying "offsite" at all. It is a complete different setup than WDW. You just walk down the block or cross the street mad you are there. We have stayed once on site but stayed at HoJos last trip and will be there again in 20 days. You may not be immersed in Disney but you will not really miss it IMHO.

1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, Disneyland 2005, 2006, October 2007, May 2008, Christmas 2009, Disneyland 2011, April 2012, May 2013, September 2013, Disneyland April 2014
luvgoing2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
whoever
DIS Veteran

Its a personal decision. For us, we would hate offsite vs. GCH. Its always been GCH for us, and it will always will be.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #12
Tasia
Mouseketeer

We stayed on site last time and will again this time but only because our kids are so young that the early hour helped us to get a lot done when it is less busy. But it is much more expensive. Both have ups but I really don't think you will regret staying in the condo. It sounds like a really great set up.
Tasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #13
lucysmom
DIS Veteran

I love staying onsite. I love being in the bubble. Actually, I don't want to stay at the PPH because you cross the city street to get to the parks. Because we go at Christmas time, we really need the EMH. I think you need to do what works for you and your family. Have fun either way.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #14
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

Most people actually stay off-site at DLR. The only on-site options are equivalent to WDW's deluxe resorts and there are only three options. So for cost and sheer availability of rooms, the average DLR guest, unless they're a local resident, stays at an off-site Good Neighbor hotel. The walk to the main gates is usually 10 minutes or less, and the entire Anaheim Resort Area is geared towards Disney guests. That said, I'm not entirely sure how accessible the parks are on foot from west of the Disneyland Hotel. You might want to consider somewhere on Harbor or Katella, instead.
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo (HolidayTime!) | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo (HalloweenTime!) | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | DLR Sep 2014 DLH for the first time! (HalloweenTime!) | DLR Dec 2014 TBD (HolidayTime!) | Moving to L.A. 2015!
mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #15
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

Although staying at onsite hotels is my preference when I go to Disneyland, I stayed at the Howard Johnson last summer and loved it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: