DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #16
disneydenisel
DIS Veteran
 
disneydenisel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,134

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by alagille View Post
I didn't pick a UY as this was my first contract. I got March. Don't know how difficult it is to get specific ones though.
I have been on the waitlist for Feb UY for quite a while. They had June UY come up first, but even then I waited a few months.

Enjoy your instant points ! It's nice to see them in your account really quickly and be able to use them right away.
__________________
Denise



Disneyland since 1963
First trip to WDW--offsite May 1994
Grand Californian 2002, 2004
BCV Thanksgiving 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, December 2013
VGC & PPH June 2011

VGC June 2012, June 2013
Aulani March 2013
Upcoming BCV Thanksgiving 2014, VGC Summer 2015
disneydenisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:54 AM   #17
McCrae
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmharris View Post
Are there any benefits to purchasing from Disney as opposed to a reseller?
If you want to buy a new resort buying direct makes a lot of sense. Resale is often not available and buying direct can be cheaper than picking up re sales at a later date.

We bought BLT at 99'
McCrae is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #18
ncurley
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New England
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alagille View Post

I didn't pick a UY as this was my first contract. I got March. Don't know how difficult it is to get specific ones though.
Did you say you bought your first contract for 50 points direct from Disney? I thought there is a minimum number of points required to make a direct purchase, unless you are already a DVC member and adding on? So if I wanted to buy VGF could I buy only 50 points if this is my first contract? (Realizing even if you bank and borrow to go every few years 50 points does not go that far).
ncurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #19
alagille
Mouseketeer
 
alagille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 255

Yes, 50 is the minimum allowed. I wanted only a cash purchase and told the dvc sales rep as such. I don't know if I was allowed since it was an old resort, but maybe?
alagille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #20
JPDtheJD
Earning My Ears
 
JPDtheJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: GA
Posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncurley View Post
Did you say you bought your first contract for 50 points direct from Disney? I thought there is a minimum number of points required to make a direct purchase, unless you are already a DVC member and adding on? So if I wanted to buy VGF could I buy only 50 points if this is my first contract? (Realizing even if you bank and borrow to go every few years 50 points does not go that far).
This is what I thought too! I was surprised to see this.
__________________
First trip as a family: September 2013 POP & CR
Previous trips as a child: 1995 (DL) 1990, 1986, 1985 (WDW)

JPDtheJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #21
supersnoop
DIS Veteran
 
supersnoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Pflugerville
Posts: 1,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by alagille View Post
Yes, 50 is the minimum allowed. I wanted only a cash purchase and told the dvc sales rep as such. I don't know if I was allowed since it was an old resort, but maybe?
I, too, thought the minimum initial purchase was 100 points. Anything 50 points or less, and direct does start to make a lot of sense.
supersnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #22
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersnoop View Post
I, too, thought the minimum initial purchase was 100 points. Anything 50 points or less, and direct does start to make a lot of sense.
The minimum purchase varies with how desperate they are for sales
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #23
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncurley View Post
Did you say you bought your first contract for 50 points direct from Disney? I thought there is a minimum number of points required to make a direct purchase, unless you are already a DVC member and adding on? So if I wanted to buy VGF could I buy only 50 points if this is my first contract? (Realizing even if you bank and borrow to go every few years 50 points does not go that far).
There have been specials at times with lower minimums down to 50 as a new purchases. SSR was one of the main options available as such.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #24
bakerworld
DIS Veteran
 
bakerworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrae View Post
If you want to buy a new resort buying direct makes a lot of sense. Resale is often not available and buying direct can be cheaper than picking up re sales at a later date.

We bought BLT at 99'
'99?? or '09????
__________________


AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #25
buck4568
Mouseketeer
 
buck4568's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Florida - Massachusetts native
Posts: 436

Members who purchase from anyone other than Disney Vacation Development, Inc., on or after March 21, 2011, will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCI exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest.

So, buying resale you lose alot of options that you could use the points on!
__________________


DVC Member since 1998
Platinum Castaway Club Members
Dan , Pam, Melissa and Matthew
buck4568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #26
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck4568 View Post
Members who purchase from anyone other than Disney Vacation Development, Inc., on or after March 21, 2011, will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCI exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest.

So, buying resale you lose alot of options that you could use the points on!
Correct but for many the thousands of dollars in savings is worth more than using points outside of the DVC resorts at the high point prices charged by Disney.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #27
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 8,253

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck4568 View Post
So, buying resale you lose alot of options that you could use the points on!


those are some extremely expensive options, though. when you do your homework and look at the point charts for those options, you realize that there's no point in paying extra to buy direct just to pay extra to stay in a wdw hotel or go on a cruise...and the ABD point chart is hysterical.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3286195
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #28
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck4568 View Post
Members who purchase from anyone other than Disney Vacation Development, Inc., on or after March 21, 2011, will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCI exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest.

So, buying resale you lose alot of options that you could use the points on!
But none of dollar value. Actually they're doing them a favor if by forcing them to evaluate DVC on it's own merits.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #29
buck4568
Mouseketeer
 
buck4568's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Florida - Massachusetts native
Posts: 436

I like vanilla and you like strawberry! Different strokes for different folks.
__________________


DVC Member since 1998
Platinum Castaway Club Members
Dan , Pam, Melissa and Matthew
buck4568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #30
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 8,253

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck4568 View Post
I like vanilla and you like strawberry! Different strokes for different folks.
if you are the sort who likes to walk into a new car dealership and pay full sticker price including the dealer add-ons and extras, then i salute you. you have done your part to help the salesperson buy a boat and further drive the economy.

but for those strawberry people like me, i want to make sure they know they can save money with resales without losing anything of value. they do have to put up with the hassle of waiting for ROFR and closing (much like i have to deal with hassle of negotiating for a car...with the salesperson calling in the manager for some more back-and-forth and so on) but in both cases, the savings can easily be thousands of dollars. that's no big whoop for you vanilla folks but it makes us strawberry folks happy...and while opinions vary, the numbers are black and white.
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.