DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
Maverick
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
And far too many people when making the purchase get hung up on the emotions.

That is SO true. Heck... I was 100% sure I was buying resale (which we ultimately did), but we did the tour for fun a year ago while at Disney and that pixie dust seems so real when we were bathing in the magic. I found myself WANTING to buy direct while we were there. And I knew better! I really knew better!

Fortunately I took a deep breath, forced myself to come home without buying anything, continued to study and learn another few months and finally bought resale.

I can only imagine what the average guest goes through that isn't armed with all the info I had when I did the tour.

caselaw3 - I think I read you just took your first trip in December. If that is true, I can see how you are totally excited about DVC and want to buy now. Very understandable after returning home from probably one of the best vacations you've ever had! Please remember that DVC is a 28-50 year proposition (assuming you never sell your membership), it is pretty darn expensive and there are so many factors to consider.

Will you still want to go every year / every other year 10 years from now?

How much will your annual dues cost 20 years from now? (You can assume they will roughly double in that timespan)

How many points are right for you and your family?

How many points will be right for your family 5 or 10 years from now?

Will we really want to buy park passes, food and airfare once or twice every year to the same destination? The cost of those three items cost WAY more than the annual dues on our 150 point contract.

Those are just a few of probably 100 questions (literally) we kicked around during our two year decision making process.

Just take it slow... Read and learn. I guarantee DVC will still be there to purchase after you've done your homework.

If you'd like any more specific detail around our lengthy decision making process, please feel free to send me a private message and I'll be glad to share what I can.

Mav
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #17
caselaw3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
That is SO true. Heck... I was 100% sure I was buying resale (which we ultimately did), but we did the tour for fun a year ago while at Disney and that pixie dust seems so real when we were bathing in the magic. I found myself WANTING to buy direct while we were there. And I knew better! I really knew better!

Fortunately I took a deep breath, forced myself to come home without buying anything, continued to study and learn another few months and finally bought resale.

I can only imagine what the average guest goes through that isn't armed with all the info I had when I did the tour.

caselaw3 - I think I read you just took your first trip in December. If that is true, I can see how you are totally excited about DVC and want to buy now. Very understandable after returning home from probably one of the best vacations you've ever had! Please remember that DVC is a 28-50 year proposition (assuming you never sell your membership), it is pretty darn expensive and there are so many factors to consider.

Will you still want to go every year / every other year 10 years from now?

How much will your annual dues cost 20 years from now? (You can assume they will roughly double in that timespan)

How many points are right for you and your family?

How many points will be right for your family 5 or 10 years from now?

Will we really want to buy park passes, food and airfare once or twice every year to the same destination? The cost of those three items cost WAY more than the annual dues on our 150 point contract.

Those are just a few of probably 100 questions (literally) we kicked around during our two year decision making process.

Just take it slow... Read and learn. I guarantee DVC will still be there to purchase after you've done your homework.

If you'd like any more specific detail around our lengthy decision making process, please feel free to send me a private message and I'll be glad to share what I can.

Mav
Thanks Mav!! It is true we are totally flying high on pixie dust right now, lol
although we had considered buying in to DVC before we went on the trip (this was my 5th trip to WDW but my families first). If it were up to me I would go every year 2-3 times a year but lets face it -I know my budget doesn't allow for that!

I knew this was the place to go BEFORE i made any big decision regarding buying in to DVC! There is so much information to sort through and so much financially to think about! ...

And I was thinking about that extra cost as well - if we are investing in the 150 point deal with 10 year financing - that's just over $3000 a year for just a place to stay - then we need to have airfare and park tickets, food, miscellaneous expenses - i mean yeah maybe after year 10 it would be beneficial but ....
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #18
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caselaw3 View Post
And I was thinking about that extra cost as well - if we are investing in the 150 point deal with 10 year financing - that's just over $3000 a year for just a place to stay - then we need to have airfare and park tickets, food, miscellaneous expenses - i mean yeah maybe after year 10 it would be beneficial but ....
Don't underestimate this. We've done quite well financially over our decade plus of ownership - but park tickets and airfare have both gone up far in excess of our salaries - in part because we used to have Disney children and we now have Disney adults for ticket purposes.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #19
caselaw3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Don't underestimate this. We've done quite well financially over our decade plus of ownership - but park tickets and airfare have both gone up far in excess of our salaries - in part because we used to have Disney children and we now have Disney adults for ticket purposes.
Yea - that is a big consideration - in 10 years we won't have disney kids anymore!! and then things will be even more expensive - ugh
Old 01-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #20
a742246
older than dirt

Have you thought about renting points from a member, then explore all the WDW DVC resorts to see which ones you may like best? Renting is going for $12-13 a point!
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #21
caselaw3
DIS Veteran

I am actually looking into that right now - I get very confused bby the renting aspect of things - I have just printed out the newbie page and am going to be reading through that tonight
Old 01-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #22
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caselaw3 View Post
Thanks Mav!! It is true we are totally flying high on pixie dust right now, lol although we had considered buying in to DVC before we went on the trip (this was my 5th trip to WDW but my families first). If it were up to me I would go every year 2-3 times a year but lets face it -I know my budget doesn't allow for that! I knew this was the place to go BEFORE i made any big decision regarding buying in to DVC! There is so much information to sort through and so much financially to think about! ... And I was thinking about that extra cost as well - if we are investing in the 150 point deal with 10 year financing - that's just over $3000 a year for just a place to stay - then we need to have airfare and park tickets, food, miscellaneous expenses - i mean yeah maybe after year 10 it would be beneficial but ....
Why not put the money you'd be paying monthly for a financed DVC contract away in savings for a little while and then buy a resale contract with cash? It will give you time to learn, time to breathe and time to figure out where Disney fits after more than just one family trip. If you were to then buy a 150-point contract somewhere at let's say $80 per point, your total with closing and dues would be just less than $14,000. You'd be spending your hard-earned cash on points, not the ridiculous finance charges you pay for financing a timeshare. Then, with all that interest payments you've saved, you'll have more money for MFs and Disney trips!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #23
HokieGCC
BWV Owners

Take some time...

Rule #1 - Disney is THE expert at separating you from your money. Although some may convince themselves that buying DVC "saves you money" it really "enables you to spend more money" at Disney. Everything Disney does is "fine tuned" to earn them more money and they are the best.

I recommend you understand every aspect of DVC compared with just going when you want before buying anything. That way you are fully aware of what you are committing to Disney. This board is great for that.

HokieGCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #24
pirateprincess81
Earning My Ears

My husband and I purchased direct from Disney in 2012 and paid $105 per point for SSR, which was a pretty phenomenal deal compared with what the resale purchase price would have been at the time. Since then, the price has risen to $155 per point for direct purchases which is a pretty big jump (although there were pretty good credits and incentives when we initially bought in).

I must say that for us, buying into DVC was a great decision and it has enabled us to do a lot with our membership. We've taken two cruises (I know that many people say it is a waste of points, but you must take into account that it is all-inclusive with no extra money having to be forked out for food and park passes), and enjoyed two vacations at WDW.

There are definitely some perks to being a DVC member, such as reduced rates on annual passes if you are going to vacation multiple times per year, discount on Tables in Wonderland membership so you can get a discount at table service restaurants (personally, I am not a fan of the Disney Dining Plan because it's simply too much food) and feeling pressured into getting the most expensive entree on the menu to get the most for your money.

We have considered adding on to our membership via resale just to have more points to spend on villa accommodations at one of the DVC resorts, but we're still doing our research. I think you're doing the right thing by asking for opinions on this forum and other places, but for us, the numbers made sense because I did take into account the full period of ownership versus what an annual trip to Disney would cost, not even taking into account inflation over 40 years and the numbers worked out in favor of DVC membership. Hope this helps your decision.
pirateprincess81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #25
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Considering that SSR was selling resale in the $60's- low $70's in 2012, I'm not sure how $105 would have been a phenomenal deal. But it beats the current direct pricing, there we can agree.
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:49 AM   #26
pirateprincess81
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmithmd View Post
Considering that SSR was selling resale in the $60's- low $70's in 2012, I'm not sure how $105 would have been a phenomenal deal. But it beats the current direct pricing, there we can agree.
Perhaps I was looking in the wrong places, but I didn't find any resale points for less than $85 per point, plus the hassle of trying to secure my own loan, and being locked out of using points for anything other than WDW DVC resorts justified the additional cost per point for us. I know that if we hadn't purchased direct from Disney, we probably never would have gone on a Disney cruise, and we're going on our 3rd this August. To us, price isn't the only factor that influenced our decision.
pirateprincess81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #27
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateprincess81 View Post
Perhaps I was looking in the wrong places, but I didn't find any resale points for less than $85 per point, plus the hassle of trying to secure my own loan, and being locked out of using points for anything other than WDW DVC resorts justified the additional cost per point for us. I know that if we hadn't purchased direct from Disney, we probably never would have gone on a Disney cruise, and we're going on our 3rd this August. To us, price isn't the only factor that influenced our decision.
Listing prices can be very different from what people are actually paying.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #28
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you bought direct, took out a loan to buy direct, and then used those points to pay for multiple cruises, then yes, I'm quite certain that money wasn't the only factor that influenced your decision.

But hey, it's your money. More power to you. Glad you're enjoying the membership...
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #29
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
I think that the important message for the average reader is that just because Disney says that you can use your points for something, doesn't mean that you should assume that it's the best deal.

Everyone has their reasons for how they use their points, what's important is that they are your points and you can use them as you see fit. What works for you and your family may not work for the next guy and that's the beauty of the options that are offered.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #30
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmithmd View Post
If you bought direct, took out a loan to buy direct, and then used those points to pay for multiple cruises, then yes, I'm quite certain that money wasn't the only factor that influenced your decision.

But hey, it's your money. More power to you. Glad you're enjoying the membership...
The difference between buying less point resale for just DVC and more points direct plus the loan costs in this situation would be around $17-20K early in the process plus the lost money compared to other options for non DVC options of maybe average $1K difference per non DVC trip. I used 150 pts to use only for DVC and 250 to use for DVC and other, specifics will change the numbers but not the principles. Invested, that's quite a large difference over someone's life.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: