DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #31
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
Oh, I don't necessarily disagree. In fact, the majority of times resale is the way to go. However, should a person opt to buy direct and is quite satisfied with the deal and gets years of happy experiences out of it, I'd be hard-pressed to call that a bad decision. Whether such an option was the best financial choice is easily determined, on that I would agree; yet, one can't always declare something good or bad or reasonable merely due to monetary reasons. Nor does satisfaction with having made the best financial deal automatically make that decision a good one, either.
I do think we're on the same page other than one hopefully small items. There certainly are many factors and they all need to be considered. However, I think many are far too prepared to wimp out on an honest appraisal because someone somewhere may get their feelings hurt. IMO if it doesn't make sense financially given the facts, it's automatically a bad decision, you only get flexibility in the gray areas. If it makes sense financially, it could still be a bad decision. Wanting to finance, feeling more comfortable buying directly from Disney or having an emotional itch that can't wait a few months does not change that one speck. I think my previous qualifications above should cover most of the reasonable exceptions. OTOH, I don't think I've ever told someone THEY made a bad decision unless they specifically asked, however, I'm very comfortable taking a specific example and giving an opinion on that example/situation hopefully in an appropriate context. If an individual happens to fit into that example, all the better for good or bad and if they're offended by such that's on them as long as the opinion were offered an an appropriate context.

Are there worse decisions in life than making a bad one with Disney, sure for most people. My goal is to get people to think about what they're doing so that Disney, or anything else in question, will be a blessing and not a curse. We've seen plenty of examples of the latter the last few years with DVC and otherwise.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #32
PacoDF
Mouseketeer
 
PacoDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 181

Remember this: Resale can't exist without lots of people buying direct first. As with cars: you can't buy an used car without having a guy who owned it first when new.

:D

And resale is good for both resale buyers as it is for direct owners who want or may want to sell in the future. (same as cars) The asset keeps a good % of the original value.

The discussion is whether the remaining value is enough for you, an informed buyer, to choose buying direct or resale. But we all must know that the vast majority of people will buy direct anyways (and that's "good" for us, resale buyers!!)
__________________
Our DisneyTime Vacation Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdTj-B5aORc
PacoDF is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #33
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoDF View Post
Remember this: Resale can't exist without lots of people buying direct first. As with cars: you can't buy an used car without having a guy who owned it first when new.
True in the general sense but not applicable to the current discussion. The reality is that the choices are what they are with the current prices and variables and that has to be the guiding info for such a discussion. Back when prices were 15-20% different, we had the same discussions but the difference was not enough to give absolute answers for all but maybe HH & VB, now they are for many choices. The principles were still the same though. I don't think telling someone to pay twice as much to ensure another potential member has access to a cheap (comparatively) resale is a reasonable position but it's essentially your point I quoted.

Related to your car analogy, a more applicable analogy would be the same car from a dealer vs an individual or used car lot with a 40% price difference if the dealer threw in a few free oil changes. All timeshares are used once you pay day 1.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #34
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray
 
ToddyLu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Drop Off
Posts: 5,179

This is how we made our decision. I was all in at the cheapest resort but DH had to think about what resort he liked....ok, I said, but do it quickly

We live on the Gulf Coast so OKW, BCV were more like home and we wanted more of a vacation feel away from home. The size of the rooms at OKW and the SAB at BCV were not really a draw for us.

DH used to fight forest fires and VWL just reminded him of those days. He said he had spent too much time in the woods already. I loved the resort, personally but respected his decision.

BLT didn't appeal to either of us... too sterile in decor and we do not have to be next to MK on our vacation. A trip to MK is great but we don't have to see it or walk there. We just had one night in a studio on 10/31 (LV) and agreed that would be the first and last time there. We are both Pooh sized and when we each took a shower--the shower curtain enveloped us---you would have to experience it to understand.

BWV...eh, it is beautiful and the location is great but it didn't thrill DH...so we moved on...and now that I have seen the clown pool at night I showed the clown to DH and he did too.

SSR-boy that resort is majestic and HUGE. It is eery quiet too. Had a spa day there with MIL and it was just well, strange. I only saw 4 people there that day. I was expecting sagebrush to float out at any time surrounded by a breeze and the sound of wind chimes in the distance. But man do they have a great spa!! It was hard to say no to SSR due to price...but DH said NO!

We wanted to stay at WDW so HH and VB were out although they are beautiful and seem very relaxing. VGC was just too far away.

Then there is AKV...hmmm gee that is my favorite I said to myself, but it is more expensive and the MFs are higher. When I asked DH about which resort--his comment was.."I am only going to stay at AKV when I go-but buy where you think is best". What? Could it be that he and I had secretly watched that bus pull up to the parks over the years and thought -those are the luckiest guests in the world. Could this mean that he is thinking AKV is the one for us...yep. I love this man I thought. We love the remote fill, the theming and dark rooms, getting to ride a bus is fun for us and then there are the wonderful animals. My Mom and I were watching a giraffe walk past our room in 2011. Where else in the USA could we do that. She looked at me and just shook her head--she couldn't believe we had the opportunity to stay there. It is our perfect fit resort and we are so happy.

Yes I would sleep in a cardboard box to stay at Disney....but SV at AKV is heaven.
__________________
DH Me kissing DH Trinity
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #35
itutorfortravel
I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addiction!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu View Post
This is how we made our decision. I was all in at the cheapest resort but DH had to think about what resort he liked....ok, I said, but do it quickly

We live on the Gulf Coast so OKW, BCV were more like home and we wanted more of a vacation feel away from home. The size of the rooms at OKW and the SAB at BCV were not really a draw for us.

DH used to fight forest fires and VWL just reminded him of those days. He said he had spent too much time in the woods already. I loved the resort, personally but respected his decision.

BLT didn't appeal to either of us... too sterile in decor and we do not have to be next to MK on our vacation. A trip to MK is great but we don't have to see it or walk there. We just had one night in a studio on 10/31 (LV) and agreed that would be the first and last time there. We are both Pooh sized and when we each took a shower--the shower curtain enveloped us---you would have to experience it to understand.

BWV...eh, it is beautiful and the location is great but it didn't thrill DH...so we moved on...and now that I have seen the clown pool at night I showed the clown to DH and he did too.

SSR-boy that resort is majestic and HUGE. It is eery quiet too. Had a spa day there with MIL and it was just well, strange. I only saw 4 people there that day. I was expecting sagebrush to float out at any time surrounded by a breeze and the sound of wind chimes in the distance. But man do they have a great spa!! It was hard to say no to SSR due to price...but DH said NO!

We wanted to stay at WDW so HH and VB were out although they are beautiful and seem very relaxing. VGC was just too far away.

Then there is AKV...hmmm gee that is my favorite I said to myself, but it is more expensive and the MFs are higher. When I asked DH about which resort--his comment was.."I am only going to stay at AKV when I go-but buy where you think is best". What? Could it be that he and I had secretly watched that bus pull up to the parks over the years and thought -those are the luckiest guests in the world. Could this mean that he is thinking AKV is the one for us...yep. I love this man I thought. We love the remote fill, the theming and dark rooms, getting to ride a bus is fun for us and then there are the wonderful animals. My Mom and I were watching a giraffe walk past our room in 2011. Where else in the USA could we do that. She looked at me and just shook her head--she couldn't believe we had the opportunity to stay there. It is our perfect fit resort and we are so happy.

Yes I would sleep in a cardboard box to stay at Disney....but SV at AKV is heaven.

Loved your story and so happy you found your perfect fit!

We found a good deal on VWL and since we mostly go at Christmas and we live the theming at VWL for the holidays, we decided to go for it. Just wrapping up paperwork now so it can proceed to ROFR and keeping my fingers crossed!

If this contract works out, I figure with the money we saved we can watch for a small contract at BWV, something that will allow us to go to F&W every other year.

We will see if that all works out!
itutorfortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #36
Shazzasmd
Mouseketeer
 
Shazzasmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by itutorfortravel View Post
Loved your story and so happy you found your perfect fit!

We found a good deal on VWL and since we mostly go at Christmas and we live the theming at VWL for the holidays, we decided to go for it. Just wrapping up paperwork now so it can proceed to ROFR and keeping my fingers crossed!

If this contract works out, I figure with the money we saved we can watch for a small contract at BWV, something that will allow us to go to F&W every other year.

We will see if that all works out!

Congratulations, and Good Luck with ROFR. I read this thread with interest, as we went through the same decision process a couple of years ago. We bought at VWL and love being there at Christmas time. We are still considering adding a BWV or BCV contract.
__________________
Sharon
Shazzasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #37
itutorfortravel
I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addiction!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzasmd View Post
Congratulations, and Good Luck with ROFR. I read this thread with interest, as we went through the same decision process a couple of years ago. We bought at VWL and love being there at Christmas time. We are still considering adding a BWV or BCV contract.
Thank you! We did purchase a contract at VWL and it was sent to Disney last week so I'm hoping it passes ROFR! I would also like to get a small contract at BWV for food and wine trips every other year...maybe one day!
itutorfortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #38
rillsung
DIS Veteran
 
rillsung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,380

Good luck!
__________________
Terri

rillsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #39
bigtony777
Disney Veteran
 
bigtony777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 442

Any room at WDW is a great room. Some are just a little better than others. We own at BWV and bought there for several reasons. We go down for F&W each year, the location being close to both Epcot and DHS, and some of the cheapest point rooms all of DVC with the standard category.
__________________
Anthony

Upcoming: 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2), 12/14 - AKV

2014: July - BWV, Mar - BLT, Jan - VGC
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2008: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.