DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
smalltowngirl504
Mouseketeer
 
smalltowngirl504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 300

Resale DVC... Question!

We are currently tossing around the idea of DVC..... and with that comes the direct or resale discussion!! The money we would save would be wonderful. I suppose the issue sort of lies in the lost benefits... I don't really understand them all that well. I was hoping that someone could explain exactly what I am losing when I buy resale. I know its certain collections, but can I still book other hotels around the world and Hawaii ? Things of that nature.....
smalltowngirl504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran
 
Kidanifan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,690

With resale points, you can still trade-in to RCI and use the points for all of the DVC resorts, including Aulani. You cannot use resale points for Adventures By Disney, Disney Cruise Line and the Concierge collection. All of these "perks" could go away for members who purchased direct. The $$$ you save by purchasing resale is definitely worth giving up those options. The point requirements for DCL and ABD are ridiculously high.
__________________
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran
 
Msmithmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 887

Yes, you can still book other hotels around the world and Hawaii! You do that with...money.

Resale points are good at any DVC resort including Hawaii. And can be used equal to retail points for RCI trades. But search this site, and see for yourself why trading to anything other than a DVC resort isn't a financially ideal move. Use DVC for DVC resorts. Use another timeshare or cash for staying elsewhere, and you will come out financially well ahead versus a direct purchase.

Let's say you are going to buy a 200 point contract. At a conservative $50 spread between direct and resale, you will save $10k on the purchase. That's a lot of money by anyone's definition.

The two exceptions to the above currently are VGF and VGC. If you know that you must have one of these, the differential cost for direct versus resale is relatively small, and a direct purchase might be reasonable. Otherwise, in my opinion, the price difference buying direct is literally throwing money away for essentially nothing.
Msmithmd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
smalltowngirl504
Mouseketeer
 
smalltowngirl504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 300

We are fairly new to all things DVC, so we are still researching options.. I know using for DCL is just not an option with the point amounts we are looking at buying. But one of the big lures for my husband was being able to go other places other than Disney World, kids and I are huge fans, but he could take it or leave it, so I was just checking to see if I could do that buying resale instead of direct, I was looking up other RCI properties last night and it looked interesting.. I think it would be nice to be able to go those places as well.. But I see the huge savings with buying resale vs direct as well...So many options to consider,thank you for replying.
smalltowngirl504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Nabas
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl504 View Post
We are fairly new to all things DVC, so we are still researching options.. I know using for DCL is just not an option with the point amounts we are looking at buying. But one of the big lures for my husband was being able to go other places other than Disney World, kids and I are huge fans, but he could take it or leave it, so I was just checking to see if I could do that buying resale instead of direct, I was looking up other RCI properties last night and it looked interesting.. I think it would be nice to be able to go those places as well.. But I see the huge savings with buying resale vs direct as well...So many options to consider,thank you for replying.
Members often rent their current year's points using a service such as David's DVC Rental. David's pays members $11/point for points and then rents them out to non-DVC members at $14/point.

Since annual Maintenance Fees (MF) typically are between $4.50-to-$6/point, members can use the gain to pay for other vacation options.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
smalltowngirl504
Mouseketeer
 
smalltowngirl504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
Members often rent their current year's points using a service such as David's DVC Rental. David's pays members $11/point for points and then rents them out to non-DVC members at $14/point.

Since annual Maintenance Fees (MF) typically are between $4.50-to-$6/point, members can use the gain to pay for other vacation options.
So if we are buying 160 points , then renting them will give us under $2,000 for the total payout after MF for the year. I don't see how that is much of a gain

but 160 resale over 160 direct saves about $13,000. So say I can still use these point to stay at for example the Manhattan club in NYC for a week with my resale points? Because it is RCI..


I suppose that is my confusion. I understand I cannot use them for DCL and such and I really wouldnt want to at the point cost. But I AM interested in staying at RCI properties. I see the 13,000 savings but over the course of the next 45 years selling points and vacationing other where, will it save me that 13,000.... I am sorry if I am confusing everyone. I have taken in a lot of information recently and the DVC sales person was of such little help.. He let me know he was getting ready to leave the office for the day and just sent over the DVC reference guide.
smalltowngirl504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl504 View Post
So if we are buying 160 points , then renting them will give us under $2,000 for the total payout after MF for the year. I don't see how that is much of a gain

but 160 resale over 160 direct saves about $13,000. So say I can still use these point to stay at for example the Manhattan club in NYC for a week with my resale points? Because it is RCI..


I suppose that is my confusion. I understand I cannot use them for DCL and such and I really wouldnt want to at the point cost. But I AM interested in staying at RCI properties. I see the 13,000 savings but over the course of the next 45 years selling points and vacationing other where, will it save me that 13,000.... I am sorry if I am confusing everyone. I have taken in a lot of information recently and the DVC sales person was of such little help.. He let me know he was getting ready to leave the office for the day and just sent over the DVC reference guide.
Disney offers point usage at non DVC locations but they really don't want you to use them there. They love to advertise all of the wonderful places where you can vacation but they will really charge you for it.

The DVC RCI offerings are only 10% of what you see on the RCI site, you are restricted as to where you can book. Many report not getting matches after a 2 year wait.

DVC points are best used at a DVC resort.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
smalltowngirl504
Mouseketeer
 
smalltowngirl504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 300

Then I suppose buying resale would be the only way to go!!! Now to look into best place to buy resale points

Any Suggestions?

Ive been stalking the fidelity resale site for awhile...looking at cost and such!
smalltowngirl504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
Nabas
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl504 View Post
So if we are buying 160 points , then renting them will give us under $2,000 for the total payout after MF for the year. I don't see how that is much of a gain

but 160 resale over 160 direct saves about $13,000. So say I can still use these point to stay at for example the Manhattan club in NYC for a week with my resale points? Because it is RCI..
The most cost effective use of DVC points is to book a DVC stay.

Disney offers DVC point exchanges as a selling perk of DVC ownership. It's not where they make their money so it's not something you could expect to profit by either.

Let's say you buy 160 points at SSR. The 2014 Maintenance Fee (MF) at SSR is $4.91/point. That means you have to pay Disney an extra $786 (160 X 4.91) just to be able to use your points. Just like most timeshares, you need to pay annual maintenance.

Remember, you have to pay the MF every year. It's above and beyond the purchase price.

160 points gets you a week in a SSR Studio during the very expensive Christmas or Easter weeks. Ignoring the purchase price, you're paying $112/night to stay in a lovely Disney "Deluxe Villa" (this is the hotel category on the WDW website) Studio room during the most expensive weeks of the year, a phenomenal price.

However, 160 points barely gets 2 adults an inside stateroom on a 3-day Bahamas DCL cruise during the slowest time of the year.

Paying cash instead, that vacation costs less than $1100.

Instead of booking using DVC points, take your 160 points and rent them out at $11/point. That's $1760 (160 X 11) in your pocket.

Thus, you can rent your points, pay cash for the cruise, and still have an extra $660 (1760 - 1100) in your pocket.

In general, all exchanges of DVC points work similarly. If you are not using your points to stay in a DVC, you are better off renting out your points and paying cash for whatever other vacation you want.

Hope this helps!
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyDiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 539

I bought all of my contracts through resale and am very,very happy. I had to post when I saw your question because I was just searching the RCI site through the DVC link for a vacation this July. I found several places that fit what I was looking for including a resort two blocks from my house for relatives visiting this summer. We live by the beach so I was surprised to find something for July. I have not used my points for RCI before but was pleasantly surprised to find several options that suited us.
__________________
DisneyDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
smalltowngirl504
Mouseketeer
 
smalltowngirl504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 300

I think resale is a good option for us...but trying to figure out where to buy and how many points.. I think we may end up with 2 or 3 contracts starting with 100 points this year and buying 25-50 more until we get to 200..!

I really appreciate all of the advice! I have been doing major research lately and just need to find something that fits us finance wise as well as family size, because we are a 5 person family so buying into VGF was tempting because it has a studio that sleeps 5...Lots to consider the next 2 months!
smalltowngirl504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
jillgunter
Mouseketeer
 
jillgunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 356

Resale is such a better deal. We plan to rent our points out or bank them if we want to do a cruise one year.
__________________
Owners at BWV

Jill: Mom to a Disney addicted 7 year old!
jillgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,565

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl504 View Post
We are currently tossing around the idea of DVC..... and with that comes the direct or resale discussion!! The money we would save would be wonderful. I suppose the issue sort of lies in the lost benefits... I don't really understand them all that well. I was hoping that someone could explain exactly what I am losing when I buy resale. I know its certain collections, but can I still book other hotels around the world and Hawaii ? Things of that nature.....
One really loses NOTHING of true value for resale based on the current restrictions. Actually buying less points and just using them for DVC option only is both the simplest and CHEAPEST option. Buying DVC to use for RCI makes no sense. Not only is it only about 10% of the RCI offerings, getting the best options can be difficult to impossible. If you want to do both non DVC and WDW locations and only want to deal with one system, I'd EITHER do DVC OR NON DVC and pay cash for the other. For those looking at both as a core option, buying non DVC is likely the best as you'll have more options and more savings. Then one might be able to exchange in to DVC or at worse, rent privately. So your first question is whether buying DVC at all makes sense, I don't see enough info here to form a good opinion on that option.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #14
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 6,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl504 View Post
I think resale is a good option for us...but trying to figure out where to buy and how many points.. I think we may end up with 2 or 3 contracts starting with 100 points this year and buying 25-50 more until we get to 200..!

I really appreciate all of the advice! I have been doing major research lately and just need to find something that fits us finance wise as well as family size, because we are a 5 person family so buying into VGF was tempting because it has a studio that sleeps 5...Lots to consider the next 2 months!
Just be aware that resale contracts of less than 100 points can be few and far between. So it might take you a while to find a bunch of smaller contracts with the same UY and home resort.
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 8/14, 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,743

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl504 View Post
We are currently tossing around the idea of DVC..... and with that comes the direct or resale discussion!! The money we would save would be wonderful. I suppose the issue sort of lies in the lost benefits... I don't really understand them all that well. I was hoping that someone could explain exactly what I am losing when I buy resale. I know its certain collections, but can I still book other hotels around the world and Hawaii ? Things of that nature.....
Whether you purchase direct or resale, all you are ultimately entitled to is staying at a DVC resort. All the other perks (DCL booking, RCI/II, Disney collection) could all go away in a minute. And those perks are usually negotiated annually, so what you use 500 points for this year could require 700 points next year.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.