DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #31
holula
DIS Veteran

If you are in the UK I would not buy DVC. The packages you can get far outweigh the cost saving benefit of DVC - in the USA there is nothing close to the UK packages! We didn't buy in until we moved to the US. If after going to WDW each year for a couple of years you still want to buy in then go for it.

And being in the UK, there is so much of the world at your doorstep! There is so much I see and do in Europe (and you could do a lot with that money) that I would see that first. Even DLP is close.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #32
markmcalear
Mouseketeer

My package for my upcoming trip was £8000 plus flights. That includes park tickets and deluxe dining plan

markmcalear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #33
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcalear View Post
My package for my upcoming trip was £8000 plus flights. That includes park tickets and deluxe dining plan
You can't include the price of tickets and the dining plan when you compare costs. Only lodging because that is all you get with DVC.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #34
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
You can't include the price of tickets and the dining plan when you compare costs. Only lodging because that is all you get with DVC.
Overall I agree, just like you can't count the other items included in a cruise when you use DVC points above the dollar costs. However, if you have access to packages that overall may be cheaper, you can assign the cost of those other items somewhat. I'm not sure how the packages from there work. IF it's pick and chose at the special price, I wouldn't count it at all but if it's a package that's cheaper overall then you might. I've also seen reports in the past discounted DVC for cash at SSR at least plus FD for the UK buyers.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #35
forceword
Mouseketeer

We are UK DVC owners and I would dispute that you shouldn't do it from the UK. We bank and borrow to go every 2-3 years for about a 14 days. We usually go in summer but as our family gets older we look forward to Food and Wine or Christmas and Halloween.

I would agree that we wouldn't want to go to WDW every year as our main or only holiday but if you know you will want to go regularly for at least 10 years then it can be a good idea for you.

forceword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #36
holula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Overall I agree, just like you can't count the other items included in a cruise when you use DVC points above the dollar costs. However, if you have access to packages that overall may be cheaper, you can assign the cost of those other items somewhat. I'm not sure how the packages from there work. IF it's pick and chose at the special price, I wouldn't count it at all but if it's a package that's cheaper overall then you might. I've also seen reports in the past discounted DVC for cash at SSR at least plus FD for the UK buyers.
You can do a total inclusive package or a pick and choose package. We just did hotel through the UK sites in 2011. A value over Xmas was around $100. On the USA site I have never seen it that low for Xmas.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #37
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holula View Post
You can do a total inclusive package or a pick and choose package. We just did hotel through the UK sites in 2011. A value over Xmas was around $100. On the USA site I have never seen it that low for Xmas.
I guess the question would be whether the components of the package is the same cost as done in it's entirety like it would be for the US package. I didn't know and thus why I qualified my answer. I do recall there were some combinations a couple of years ago with a room discount AND free dining something generally not available in the US either.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #38
markmcalear
Mouseketeer

so, current prices for room only for 2 weeks end of August:

Poly - MK View - £4484.00 (Sleeps up to 5 so I would actually need 2 of these so total is now £8968)
AKL - 2bd Villa Savannah View - £6664.00
GF - MK View - £4590.00 (Sleeps up to 5 so I would actually need 2 of these so total is now £9180)
SSR - 2bd Villa - £4294.00

So in terms of points, I would need roughly 650 per stay for 2 weeks at end of August. I am thinking of buying enough to go every other year. So I would buy the 360 pts package.

Using GF as the example and buying retail
Upfront cost = $54,000 (£33,000)
Annual Dues = $1947.60 (£1190) Total dues are £59,500 but to allow for increases lets call it £65,000.
Total cost = £88,000
Lets assume 25 stays, thats an average of £3520 per stay which puts me almost £800 better off (per stay) if I stayed at SSR. The reality is that I would prefer to stay at a monorail resort or maybe Beach Club Villas.

I am actually thinking that I might hold fire for Poly DVC to go on sale and buy that as my home resort. Home resort would certainly be Poly/AKL/BCV. Obviously with DVC I would be looking to stay at a 2bd Villa rather than booking a suite or adjoining rooms as I would non-DVC.

On the years when I dont go I would just go elsewhere or if the kids really wanted to go I could do Disney out of pocket if required.

One question... with the annual pass, do I pay the standard price or the Florida residents price?

Last edited by markmcalear; 12-23-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:10 AM   #39
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
so, current prices for room only for 2 weeks end of August: Poly - MK View - £4484.00 (Sleeps up to 5 so I would actually need 2 of these so total is now £8968) AKL - 2bd Villa Savannah View - £6664.00 GF - MK View - £4590.00 (Sleeps up to 5 so I would actually need 2 of these so total is now £9180) SSR - 2bd Villa - £4294.00 So in terms of points, I would need roughly 650 per stay for 2 weeks at end of August. I am thinking of buying enough to go every other year. So I would buy the 360 pts package. Using GF as the example and buying retail Upfront cost = $54,000 (£33,000) Annual Dues = $1947.60 (£1190) Total dues are £59,500 but to allow for increases lets call it £65,000. Total cost = £88,000 Lets assume 25 stays, thats an average of £3520 per stay which puts me almost £800 better off (per stay) if I stayed at SSR. The reality is that I would prefer to stay at a monorail resort or maybe Beach Club Villas. I am actually thinking that I might hold fire for Poly DVC to go on sale and buy that as my home resort. Home resort would certainly be Poly/AKL/BCV. Obviously with DVC I would be looking to stay at a 2bd Villa rather than booking a suite or adjoining rooms as I would non-DVC. On the years when I dont go I would just go elsewhere or if the kids really wanted to go I could do Disney out of pocket if required. One question... with the annual pass, do I pay the standard price or the Florida residents price?
When we bought we never compared it to the cost of a hotel room we bought because it made staying in a 2 bedroom more affordable. Sating two to three weeks in a hotel room would for us be a nightmare but with a full kitchen we are not stuck with Disney Dining night in night out which is great for short trips but gets old quick on a 14-21 night trip. Also laundry facilities mean I can keep my kids clean without actually feeling like I am spending time doing laundry. I throw a load in as we walk out the door and throw it in the dryer as we come back to go to the pool. With DVC save me money heck no as we will now go more often but it will enhance our holidays so for us that is value for money. Even my ten year old prefers the resorts to the parks now and visiting parks is an afterthought
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #40
markmcalear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
When we bought we never compared it to the cost of a hotel room we bought because it made staying in a 2 bedroom more affordable. Sating two to three weeks in a hotel room would for us be a nightmare but with a full kitchen we are not stuck with Disney Dining night in night out which is great for short trips but gets old quick on a 14-21 night trip. Also laundry facilities mean I can keep my kids clean without actually feeling like I am spending time doing laundry. I throw a load in as we walk out the door and throw it in the dryer as we come back to go to the pool. With DVC save me money heck no as we will now go more often but it will enhance our holidays so for us that is value for money. Even my ten year old prefers the resorts to the parks now and visiting parks is an afterthought
Savings and increased comfort are my two main things. I would even be happy to pay the same or more for DVC compared to two hotel rooms just for the added comfort and conveniences.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #41
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But you've got to have some type of reasonable comparison to see what value you're getting outside the system. Comparing DVC to itself (rack rates esp) doesn't give you a true idea of your cost or dollar value. Whether that's discounted Disney hotel rates (2 for a 2BR), renting DVC privately, or off property options (Timeshares, Condo's, hotels, suites) each has to decide. However, one can't simply say DVC's rack rates is X and thus I'm saving Y with DVC. Once you compare you know how much DVC saves or costs and then can start to judge the overall value. One's historic type of accommodations is usually the best basis for comparison.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #42
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
One question... with the annual pass, do I pay the standard price or the Florida residents price?
There is a DVC annual pass that is less expensive than the usual annual pass. But DVC members do not qualify for Florida residents APs.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #43
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
But you've got to have some type of reasonable comparison to see what value you're getting outside the system. Comparing DVC to itself (rack rates esp) doesn't give you a true idea of your cost or dollar value. Whether that's discounted Disney hotel rates (2 for a 2BR), renting DVC privately, or off property options (Timeshares, Condo's, hotels, suites) each has to decide. However, one can't simply say DVC's rack rates is X and thus I'm saving Y with DVC. Once you compare you know how much DVC saves or costs and then can start to judge the overall value. One's historic type of accommodations is usually the best basis for comparison.
Except we could have continued to stay in 3 bed roomed condos offsite which we used to do and we would never have made the decision to buy in on that basis. However, our DVC stays are much better than the offsite stays we used to have so for us the value is not measured in cash but in increased enjoyment not so tangible bit valuable to us all the same. My point is we bough something we wanted as opposed to spending money now to spend less later. Holidays are a luxury we could have saved by doing so etching different but we didn't we spend some money to stay where we want to stay in the size of accommodation we want to stay in. My point is it isn't always about saving x against rack rate as we knew fro. The get go we could stay cheaper elsewhere in Orlando.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #44
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Except we could have continued to stay in 3 bed roomed condos offsite which we used to do and we would never have made the decision to buy in on that basis. However, our DVC stays are much better than the offsite stays we used to have so for us the value is not measured in cash but in increased enjoyment not so tangible bit valuable to us all the same. My point is we bough something we wanted as opposed to spending money now to spend less later. Holidays are a luxury we could have saved by doing so etching different but we didn't we spend some money to stay where we want to stay in the size of accommodation we want to stay in. My point is it isn't always about saving x against rack rate as we knew fro. The get go we could stay cheaper elsewhere in Orlando.
Then the 3 BR off site is your best basis for comparison. Then you compare what you're getting to your increased costs and make judgements on long term benefit AND risk. Historically my non DVC trips to Orlando (and most other places) have cost me between $300 & $400 per week including many exchanges into DVC (I also own). Going forward my costs will be a little more but maybe $600 to $650 per week. I know people that actually prefer off site.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #45
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
There is a DVC annual pass that is less expensive than the usual annual pass. But DVC members do not qualify for Florida residents APs.
Make that there is currently a discount on the AP for DVC members. Perks and benefits change all the time. When we bought in, we got discounted Length of Stay tickets (maybe 10-25% off).

All I know is that we would never have gone 30+ times if we didn't own DVC. We would have vacationed elsewhere. So my "breakeven" point might not still have been met after 15+ years as a DVC member.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: