DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #16
markmcalear
Mouseketeer

Thanks browniemtb.

Another question...

I am not sure how the booking process goes for a DVC member, I assume its an online login or membership number system. If I had say 3 contracts, do I still just have one central way of booking?

Like if I had 300pts AKL and 300pts VGF, could I book at AKL 11 months out and use all of my collective 600pts?

markmcalear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #17
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcalear View Post
So I think I have already decided to buy resale, although I am thinking maybe buy 400 resale (maybe split between 2 resorts) and wait to buy 200 retail for Poly. How does that sound?
Some random thoughts:

There's no right or wrong answer on buying all your points at one resort or splitting them among multiple resorts. It depends on how you plan to vacation.

You Home Resort is important primarily because you can book 11 months in advance there vs. 7 months everywhere else. This is important because, unlike regular WDW rooms, DVC rooms booked via points fills up quickly. The most popular rooms at the most popular resorts are nearly always gone by 6 month and 29 days.

If you always stay at the same resort, then just buy at that resort.

If you have 2 or 3 favorites, then you can use DVC's "banking" and "borrowing" to alternate which resort you stay each year.

Alternatively, you mention that you might visit for 2 weeks at a time. For longer stays, we like to split resorts. Stay at one resort for the first half of the trip and in a second resort for the second half of the trip.

Disney will transfer your luggage for you. Let them know you are transferring, pack up in the morning, leave the luggage in the room, and your luggage will be at your second resort by the late afternoon.

Like you, we are a larger family and there's a world of difference between 2 connecting rooms and a 2-bedroom villa. You should love it!

We own at 3 DVC resorts and added on at AKV earlier this year for $60/point using resale. That's less than half the direct price.

We tend to stay at different resorts and always stay in a 2-bedroom villa. Depending on our plans, we sometimes bank points in one account and borrow from another.

We also have 2 different UY because I like always having points available to use without worrying about the banking deadline. Suggest you read the link about UY to better understand it. The most important point, "Use year only matters if you have to cancel a vacation that was scheduled to occur late in your use year."

Finally, everyone is right. Whether you buy direct or resale, split it up into smaller contracts. A 600 or even 400 point contract could be a pain to resale if you ever decide to sell. Besides, smaller contracts allow you to sell off pieces as the kids grow up and your needs decrease. Or you could just give them to your children.

Last edited by Nabas; 12-20-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #18
browniemtb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks browniemtb.

Another question...

I am not sure how the booking process goes for a DVC member, I assume its an online login or membership number system. If I had say 3 contracts, do I still just have one central way of booking?

Like if I had 300pts AKL and 300pts VGF, could I book at AKL 11 months out and use all of my collective 600pts?
You can book online or by phone with member services. When you call you will need a member number and when you log into mydvc your membership is all there. Now the question....the only points you can use at 11 months would be the AKV.... the VGF, could be used at AKL at the 7 month mark. That is why I don't get the multiple resort theme. If you own at 1 resort, you can book at 11 months....everywhere else at 7.

Thank God for DVC!
DD14 DD12 DS7 DS4
browniemtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #19
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks browniemtb.

Another question...

No, you can book at 11 months at your "Home Resort" only using the points at that resort.

You would use banking and/or borrowing if you needed more than (in your example) 300 points at a specific resort for a specific year.

You then could repeat the process the next year at a different resort and alternate which resort your are staying at and booking 11 months in advance.

We've done this a couple of times.

In theory, it's possible to do this using a 3-year cycle using banking and borrowing, but we've never tried it.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
as stated, if you have a 300 pt AKV contract and a 300 pt VGF contract and want to book VGF at 11 months out, you would only have access to pts from the VGF contract. it's like you don't even have an AKV contract for the purposes of booking VGF at 11 months (which is fair to people who paid specifically for VGF) - you can only use the AKV pts to book VGF at 7 months out, if rooms are still available.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
samfsu
Earning My Ears

I concur that resale is the way to go if you are patient and have the 45-60 days to wait it out and will be ok if a contract or two does not pass ROFR (right of first refusal). Disney has the right to purchase the contract from your seller in lieu of you.

That said, with the money you will expend for 600 points, resale will greatly benefit you. I also highly suggest 150-200 pt contracts as those will be easier to sell later on. Though if you do not care much about that you can buy higher amounts. Since you seem to know that you will come two weeks at a certain time a year. I would get all points at the same resort. Reason being that will give you the 11 month booking window so you are assured you have the resort u want when you want it. That said, keep in mind that certain resorts have certain deed ending dates (2042, 2047, etc) so be cognizant of that as well.

All in all you will love it. We do
samfsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Dean.

We havent gone every year but we do plan to. We have had 5 children born in the last 8 years so travelling from UK has not always been possible. There will be no more kids though!

I am in a position financially where I can treat my family to a WDW holiday every year. Due to there being 7 of us, I worked it out on the last 2 weeks in August costing me 317pts per week for a 2 bed villa savannah view at AKL.That was how I got to 600pts being required.

So I think I have already decided to buy resale, although I am thinking maybe buy 400 resale (maybe split between 2 resorts) and wait to buy 200 retail for Poly. How does that sound?

There is of course always the option to buy say 350pts split over 2 resorts and plan to visit Disney every other year and just go elsewhere on those "inbetween" years.
It doesn't sound like you have knowledge of the system yet to buy and it seemed you weren't thinking EVERY year anyway. Once you have more info you might consider buying one contract of maybe 250 roughly and seeing how things went for a trip or 2 then add another if things seems comfortable.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #23
lolobug
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbry View Post
Shazammm! That's a lot of money. With resale I just bought akv at $65/point. I agree with others about smaller contracts.
Where do you find out about resale? We are leaving in a few weeks, we'd never be able to book in time, right?
lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #24
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobug View Post
Where do you find out about resale? We are leaving in a few weeks, we'd never be able to book in time, right?
Purchasing a resale contract is usually 60-75 days from offer to ownership of the account. And DVC members book their stays from 7-11 months in advance. So there's zero chance you could buy resale and book a DVC trip in a few weeks.

And the price spread for a retail purchase is so large that it would be unreasonable to buy retail just to book quickly. Even if you did, there's little chance to book a trip in a few weeks, unless you got a salesman to agree to that as a condition of purchase. And even then the odds are small.

As to where to find out about resale, check out the link to the timeshare store (board sponsor advertised on top of page.). They will send you out a packet of info. They're not the only company that sells retail- other companies do as well, often cheaper. But they have a very good professional reputation.
Msmithmd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #25
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniemtb View Post
You can book online or by phone with member services. When you call you will need a member number and when you log into mydvc your membership is all there. Now the question....the only points you can use at 11 months would be the AKV.... the VGF, could be used at AKL at the 7 month mark. That is why I don't get the multiple resort theme. If you own at 1 resort, you can book at 11 months....everywhere else at 7.
We own at multiple resorts so we can book a stay at multiple resorts at 11 months. We love split stays. So we would use the AKV points for AKV at 11 months and the VGF points at VGF at 11 months. In fact this is what we have. For us it means switching at 7 months is never essential unless we want to go to Aulani as we have all the variety of resorts we really want as home resorts.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #26
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobug View Post
You need to spend time learning about DVC before buying, this takes more than a fe days or even weeks. What you could potentially do would be to rent for this trip to both realize some savings (or increased value) compared to a cash reservation AND to checkout the system.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #27
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

If you were buying direct (I do not recommend this) you would want to buy much smaller contacts 50-100 points each since the resale is $10 -30 higher if you ever decide to sell.

Since you are buying resale, someone else has already taken the large contract penalty as long as you do not overpay.

Contract over 400 pts often sell at a very deep discount to smaller contracts so as long as you can get one for much less and do not think you will be a big hurry if you resell or will not want to reduce you total points incrementally then they can be a great way to get a lot of points cheap.

You might get ROFRed some, but for big contacts offers in the low 50s or even the 40s are often accepted because there is such a limited number of buyers at the level or large contracts.

As a note if you are looking for (BLT, VGF, VGC etc) large contracts are much less frequents since most who read up before buying got the direct purchase advice you heard above

Last edited by bookwormde; 12-21-2013 at 06:42 AM.
bookwormde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #28
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmithmd View Post
And the price spread for a retail purchase is so large that it would be unreasonable to buy retail just to book quickly. Even if you did, there's little chance to book a trip in a few weeks, unless you got a salesman to agree to that as a condition of purchase. And even then the odds are small.
I agree with your post but wanted to note that DVC guides often can pull from Disney's own inventory and book something last-minute.

Essentially, guides help new DVC members book their first DVC stays.

It often helps close the deal, rather than telling a new member that they have to wait 7 to 11 months to enjoy their new purchase.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #29
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Yeah I am aware Nabas, that just wouldn't be a reasonable thing to do for any Florida resort (except VGF) because of the cost differential of direct versus resale.

Taking AKV as an example, the cost difference direct versus resale would conservatively be $50 per point. On a 160-point contract that would be spending $8,000 extra to have a "guide" help you make one short-term reservation. And this benefit of purchase only happens once. That guide does nothing for you in booking your second through one hundredth trip, unless you buy more points from him/her at that time.

Now if a person were buying VGF anyway, where to date there isn't a cost differential (as very few have hit the secondary market), then this wouldn't be a crazy idea. But I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to buy VGF without being very aware ahead of time what they were getting and what the point chart implications were of owning that property.

Overall, Dean's points are the most salient. To reiterate, say a person is relocating to a new town for a new job, and needs to buy a home. If that person wouldn't buy a house unseen and without researching the various areas of a town where they might potentially live, then they shouldn't approach DVC any differently.

This timeshare is a very expensive proposition. While not as expensive as most primary residences, the full costs of ownership (and the vacations inherent to ownership) will be well into six figures when added up over decades. So rushing into it to book a short-term trip seems a terrible idea.
Msmithmd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #30
crisi
DIS Veteran

If I were in England with your apparent resources, I wouldn't do Disney every year. There is so much of the world for you to expose your kids to - a bunch of it practically at your doorstep. And if you like the U.S., its also filled with stuff.

For us, we've only done Disney every other year. We went to Germany, Washington DC, San Francisco, Mexico, Hawaii and camping. Disney is nice, and its fun, and when your kids are toddlers and they aren't getting much from looking at the Grand Canyon anyway, its a really great vacation, but as they get older they might want to give skiing a try, or you might want to show them Rome, or visit China or take them surfing in Hawaii, or take them to New York City.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: