DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #16
mikeymc1115
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfsu View Post
I am a new owner but have been going to Disney 4+ times a year for the past 10 years (DW loves Disney). That said, I am not sure why there is negativity about costs going up. Of course costs will increase. Costs for goods and services increase every year, EVERYWHERE.

In fact, we just bought into DVC because of the increase in costs. I would love "perks" but I did not buy into DVC for perks. Maybe I see things different since I am a FL resident and can get less expensive annual passes.

Is Disney expensive? Yes but comparatively, it is less expensive that other vacations. For instance. My family and I are going to Colorado next week to ski. The vacation compared to Disney is very expensive. We will likely spend as much if not more for a week in CO than for 2 weeks at Disney.

Consider when thinking Disney is expensive is that when you are in the park, all your entertainment is paid for. There is no time limit with the exception of park hours. Stay for an hour, come back later in the day or be in the park for 12-20 hrs. Your choice.

Also with DVC you have the ability to lessen the next expensive part of the trip, the food. Get a 1 bedroom and cook all your meals. And by cook, you can simply go to whole foods and buy prepared meals and reheat them. Or I read a post where people bring crock pots (or keep them in owner's locker) and make meals in the crock pot.

People will find a way to complain about anything. DVC for us is a great investment for now with two 5 yr olds and then also when they have kids to be able to take them to Disney.

My 2 cents, which with inflation will be worth, 1 cent tomorrow.
I could not agree more about costs. People are concerned about their MF increasing since they purchased 5, 10, 20 years ago? How about the increased rack rates when paying cash over those time periods? What do you think the rack rates will be like in another 20 years? It needs to be understood that yes DVC is expensive, and yes it will only get more expensive each year as time goes on. But that is the world we live in. You are still receiving a consistent discount vs paying cash over the length of your contract, and you will continue to do so, regardless of an increase in MF or a reduction in "perks".
mikeymc1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #17
4 The Love Of Disney
Pro-Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Owning DVC has popped the Disney love bubble that we lived in. Prior to owning we thought that Disney had it all together and that they cared for it's guests. Since owning we learned that it's all about the money. Sure there are some magic moments but overall DVC has opened our eyes and allowed us to see behind the curtain. Bill
Can you elaborate? We've been on the fence on purchasing DVC for years and are always looking for pros and cons.

Watch out Mickey, here we come!

2014 - Disney Fantasy and POR
2013 - Disney Dream, POR & runDisney weekend
2011 - POR, Disney Dream, Boardwalk Inn
2010 - POR
2009 - All Star Movies - Toy Story bldg
2008 - All Star Music, All Star Sports, All Star Movies
2006 - Animal Kingdom
2005 - Offsite
4 The Love Of Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 The Love Of Disney View Post
Can you elaborate? We've been on the fence on purchasing DVC for years and are always looking for pros and cons.
We bought in 1997 and DVC was a tight little organization with only BWV and OKW at WDW (VB and HHI away from WDW). It wasn't so difficult to make a reservation because we knew we like OKW better than BWV. So we always booked OKW. No dining plan, no fast passes, no squeezing in 70,000 people into one of the two Halloween parties. Yes, there were only two in 1997, Oct 30 and Oct 31. Same with the Very Merry Christmas Party.

Then came the era of Jim Lewis and making a buck for Disney. Attitudes changed and it was more about selling new units and doing little for existing members. When the price for points reached $90 a point, I knew it was looking bad. How could anyone afford that? Now they are paying $150 a point. Crazy.

It seemed like back in the 90's there wasn't as much pushing and shoving at parades. You waited in line for the attractions with every one else. WDW was different back then.

It's all so different now.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
If you had to buy into it today? Would you do it?
Hard to totally divest myself of 10+ years of ownership to answer that question. Kids were 2 and 6 mos when we bought. Today they're 12 and 10. We had only taken 4 or 5 WDW trips before buying. Since then we've spent over 100 days at both WDW and Disneyland.

But if conditions were equal, we would almost certainly do it again. My wife was always the big Disney fan in the household...and she still enjoys it as much as ever. The kids--even as tweens--are still counting down the days until our spring break 2014 trip. We've enjoyed our time spent at Hilton Head and Vero...hope to make it to Aulani in the next few years, too.

Has Disney changed since we became members? Yes.

Have the parks changed since we bought? Yes.

But if you're asking for an opinion as someone who never knew 1990 Walt Disney World or 2000 Walt Disney World, I'm not sure you should be influenced by comments about the parks going downhill over the last 10-20 years. Today's Walt Disney World should be the basis for your decision.

There's an old saying that familiarity breeds contempt. IMO, there are many cases where the cracks always existed in Disney's proverbial armor...you just see them a little more clearly after years of repeat visits.

It's still a high-quality, family-friendly vacation destination. At the end of the day, the only question worth asking is whether you want to visit WDW repeatedly in the coming years. If so, there's no more economical way to stay at Deluxe resorts than DVC.

My wife and I have always viewed the DVC points as something we would continue to use ourselves even after our kids are grown.

But if you think you may grow tired of it after 5 or 10 visits, it's probably not worth the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Owning DVC has popped the Disney love bubble that we lived in. Prior to owning we thought that Disney had it all together and that they cared for it's guests. Since owning we learned that it's all about the money. Sure there are some magic moments but overall DVC has opened our eyes and allowed us to see behind the curtain.

Bill
Umm...didn't you just buy yourself even more points, Bill?

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 The Love Of Disney View Post
It's the way that they do business, we just recently got improvements to the website but they still need additional improvements, pain in the butt when you try to pay your dues and at the end of the transaction you get a message telling you to try again later.

In the past it was common for members to get a MS person who didn't know what they were doing, we would call and hang up until we got someone who could help.

Our account would have points disappear, points get added, reservations changed, we even had a Disney employee add their name to our account, later we were told that it was done for test purposes, thanks for letting us know.

You are dealing with different Disney divisions. Sometime I get the feeling that DVC doesn't have much pull. If you have a resort issue and go through DVC, sometimes we were told by DVC that they would call and see it they could find someone to help, not "we will take care of it".

Resorts does their own thing, you are just one guest out of millions and sometimes I get the feeling that cash guests come first.

DVC has gone through several upper management changes, some got fired, another was only in charge for 18 months, and the new guy is just getting started and I am sure that he will make his changes.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #21
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoDF View Post
Are you considering the remaining value of your contract? If you sell now, you can recover a good part of your initial investment making your vacations cost, even cheapier.

I'm evaluating purchasing DVC, and the remaining value of a contract after 10 years is almost the most important variable of all my projections.

I've seen than most people make their evaluations considering the full life of the contracts (until expiration, so remaining value = 0). I understand doing that, but if instead you do a 8, 10 or 15 years projection considering a final sale of your contract at an estimated remaining value, your results can be very different.

Even making that kind of projection, you can decide you want to keep your contract until expiration. But that decision hasnt to be made today, you can decide that anytime.

A timeframe of 8, 10 or 15 years is easier to foresee in terms of your family vacation requirements/plans. Most families can see they are wanting to go yearly/often when their kids are younger but are not sure what will happen after that. So, adding the remaining value of their contract at the "end" of that period makes a lot of sense when you are considering the purchase.
Yeah, it isn't a material amount of money for us, so I'm not worried about it.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #22
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymc1115 View Post
So why hold on to the contract?
Our best friends spent ten years trying to conceive a baby. We promised them a trip for their child. The baby (adopted) turns two this Christmas. We've decided to hold onto the points at least until we take that trip - and we've decided the ideal age is four. This years points have been promised to my Girl Scouts. After that, we will see - my daughter will be college age and if I have the points and she uses them for Spring Break- we may keep them. If we decide to get away from Minnesota winters, we may keep them. Or we may sell them.

We now have them - it is, in material terms - a wash for us if I use them or rent them or sell them. So I might as well hang onto them until we take this trip, and then reevaluate.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #23
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post

Umm...didn't you just buy yourself even more points, Bill?
Yes we bought VGF, fixed week lake view one bedroom and yes we own at 6 resorts. VGF is a beautiful resort and overall we still love WDW for now, but honestly not as much as in the past. We have gone from 3 WDW vacations per year to 1 or 2 and if we were park people, we would have sold our contracts. We just got back from a 14 day stay at VGF and BWV and the MK was very crowed and not fun as in prior Decembers.

DVC is still saving us some money but I have learned to do as much a possible ourselves. I don't call MS unless I have to, I don't waitlist, I book online, and overall I have less issues if I do it all myself.

Bill

Old 12-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #24
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymc1115 View Post
I could not agree more about costs. People are concerned about their MF increasing since they purchased 5, 10, 20 years ago? How about the increased rack rates when paying cash over those time periods? What do you think the rack rates will be like in another 20 years? It needs to be understood that yes DVC is expensive, and yes it will only get more expensive each year as time goes on. But that is the world we live in. You are still receiving a consistent discount vs paying cash over the length of your contract, and you will continue to do so, regardless of an increase in MF or a reduction in "perks".
I think it isn't just the dues - its the dues, and the ticket costs, and the food, and the airfare, and the fact that your kids stop being kids and start being Disney Adults. And that as they get older, you have more demands on your time and your money (and few people have seen their incomes increase). So each year, Disney is taking a bigger bite out of a lot of people's discretionary income. If it takes - say 5% of your discretionary income, maybe you are happy - when its 25%, maybe that is too much.

And yes, Disney is inexpensive compared to a ski vacation - but its expensive compared to a week at an all inclusive in Mexico. Its expensive compared to staying on the North Shore for a week. Its expensive compared to the week we spent in Washington DC. Its even expensive compared to a week in Europe (minus airfare). For my daughter right now, if her choice is a week in London or a week in Disney - its London - and my son wants Mexico.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
RonaldBravo
RonaldBravo

When I first learned about the DVC, two weeks ago from a lady behind us in the long dole whip line, (the longest line we had to wait in during our trip, it was good but not 45 mins good) I was really ready to sign up through Disney but it seems everyday I learn another downside to the DVC. To me the reduction of the points value the further you travel from the parks is the biggest turn off. I would just assume go through disney but if the points really don't matter in other places all that much a resale seems to make much better sense.
RonaldBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #26
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldBravo View Post
What would longtime DVC members do?
If you had to buy into it today? Would you do it? Assume all of the circumstances are the same when you bought into originally.
Most likely, "Yes," we'd do it again. We've owned SSR for nearly 10 years now (May 2004, first purchase). We have three contracts, all direct.

We flirted with our DVC purchase for 6 years before buying. We had traded into BWV on multiple occasions through II using other timeshare and after thoughtful evaluation, we determined to purchase BWV, 200 points, Dec UY via Resale. Unfortunately for us, multiple resale attempts fell through and we put our card on file with DVC Sales to go on the waitlist for this "sold out" property direct. After several months we received a message, "We have your resort!" The arriving paperwork, however, was for SSR with Oct UY. We sent it back … but after multiple rounds of paperwork mailed back and forth (each time they kept pushing SSR/Oct) … we caved and with reluctance purchased the property the Developer was pushing at the time.

Admittedly, it was a fairly bad start. We were a little soured by the shady sales tactic and were buying SSR as "sight unseen" with intentions to "always" book BWV for an annual business conference at the Dolphin/Swan.

FWIW, we've had zero troubles using SSR points all across the DVC system. We've surprised ourselves in how we've used our points -- expanding our original intentions "business conference only" to actually taking "vacations" on them. Our first visit to our "home resort" came more than 5 years after initial purchase to try out the newly opened Treehouse Villas. We hit 10 nights this year across three different reservations at the Grand Cal (our closest DVC) and truly enjoyed our visit to Aulani during its Grand Opening Celebration, Sept 2011.

DVC isn't my favorite timeshare. But it is quite flexible w/in the DVC system. We are enjoying that even as our situation changes -- we find ways to entertain family and friends using DVC and our other timeshares. In all, it has carried its own weight and proved itself "useful." We certainly don't regret our decision to accept SSR and we'd likely do it again.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #27
disneynutz

Quote:
When I first learned about the DVC, two weeks ago from a lady behind us in the long dole whip line, (the longest line we had to wait in during our trip, it was good but not 45 mins good) I was really ready to sign up through Disney but it seems everyday I learn another downside to the DVC. To me the reduction of the points value the further you travel from the parks is the biggest turn off. I would just assume go through disney but if the points really don't matter in other places all that much a resale seems to make much better sense.
In a nut shell, DVC may save you some money if you currently stay at deluxe resorts and vacation at WDW each year. Buy resale and take the time to discover your favorite resort and for added insurance, buy the correct UY based on your typical vacation time.

Expect some DVC issues and understand that other than selling, you will have no choice but to go along with what ever Disney does and accepting any changes that they make.

In the past a 45 min wait for a dole whip was unheard of, tomorrow they will charge more and make you wait longer. At some point you will say enough is enough and that unfortunately that is where we maybe headed.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #28
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

I just had a conversation with my 10 year old that made me happy again we have our DVC

We are from Scotland but currently live in Paris and we go every other year so we bank and borrow. Our next trip was due to be 2015. However for work we willbe moving to Australia in 2014 for 3 years. My plan for 2015 was to do. VCG and Aulani but with the Austalian school holidays being in June and not being owners at Aulaini it looks difficult so I am discussing going to Orlando for 8 nights resort time and Universal time and then do 5 nights at VGC where we do the parks. My ten year old piped in with that's a great idea I love the hotels way more than the parks at WDW. It true we all do, we hire boats, we swim most days, we love the restaurants and just chilling in the room. That's what we have got out of DVC is we slow down, we no longer rush and really enjoy the Disney resorts. The only thing I would change is I'd buy my points 6 years earlier.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #29
RonaldBravo
RonaldBravo

Thank y'all again for putting up with my questions!
RonaldBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #30
DVC Mike

DVC Member @ BLT, VGC, VWL, BWV, BCV

Quote:
If you had to buy into it today? Would you do it? Assume all of the circumstances are the same when you bought into originally.
Yes.

My DVC Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

DVC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: