DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
william1375
Mouseketeer

I'm retired Navy also and have stayed at SOG and own at BLT, AKV and BWV. One thing to remember is when comparing a SOG room to a DVC studio depending on rank (basis for SOG cost) and season for DVC the cost difference may not be all that much. That also follows for 1 and 2 bedroom stays understanding that SOG has significantly less availability for the larger rooms. I purchased resale with the intention of using DVC every other year using the banking system; this allows you the flexibility of DVC at a lower cost. You can add on later if your habits/needs change. SOG has a mini NEX and you can purchase discounted tickets for all the area attractions on site.

william1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
Iceman93
Mouseketeer

My wife and I are both recently retired military, DVC owners, and fans of annual vacations including cruises. Here are some thoughts:

- SoG offers a decent room at a decent price, but I agree with others that there are drawbacks (including the previously-mentioned feeling of still being surrounded by military people, an AAFES gift shop, etc.).

- My favorite time is when SoG *is* sold out, because then they offer some pretty incredible referral rates to the Disney resorts, including the deluxes.

- Keep in mind that with DVC you can bank one year's points and borrow the next year's points, essentially allowing you to use triple your purchased points on a single vacation. This works perfectly for my family, because on the years we're not doing a DVC trip we can enjoy non-Disney travel (or simply paying for a Disney cruise, which is significantly cheaper than cashing in DVC points).
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Brownieone
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman93 View Post
My wife and I are both recently retired military, DVC owners, and fans of annual vacations including cruises. Here are some thoughts:

- SoG offers a decent room at a decent price, but I agree with others that there are drawbacks (including the previously-mentioned feeling of still being surrounded by military people, an AAFES gift shop, etc.).

- My favorite time is when SoG *is* sold out, because then they offer some pretty incredible referral rates to the Disney resorts, including the deluxes.

- Keep in mind that with DVC you can bank one year's points and borrow the next year's points, essentially allowing you to use triple your purchased points on a single vacation. This works perfectly for my family, because on the years we're not doing a DVC trip we can enjoy non-Disney travel (or simply paying for a Disney cruise, which is significantly cheaper than cashing in DVC points).
We've stayed at SOG a half dozen times and like it fine.

PROs: Larger than comparable on-property rooms, cheaper eats than other on-property restaurants, discounted tix center (though even if you don't stay at SOG, as military, you can purchase there), and proximity to Poly (where you can snag the monorail).

CONs: Pretty generic, not-really-themed pools, generic room (though nice and large), and we just got tired of going here time after time to save.

We bought DVC in 2008 and now own at BLT, VGC, VGF and HHI. We usually bank and borrow so each property has a pot of points in a different year, with HHI being the place we go when we have points (so no set year). We like it there in summer, and around New Year's. Next year is our VGC year, so we'll be there over spring break. The following year is our VGF ... our first legit stay there ... and so it goes.

We haven't looked back, even with SOG eligibility. When we want a bonus trip, we'll look at SOG first.

Is it cheaper than SOG? No. Is it more enjoyable because of the variety it provides? For us, yes. Good luck!
Brownieone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: